Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 07:11 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,861,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
It's not exaggerated, $25B investments include infra, private investments, real-estate etc... plus I have ties with the business community here and they can confirm the same information. Maybe the 150 cranes are exaggerated, but I'm sure he's talking about the entire CMA of MTL.
I was just there and would be shocked if that count wasn't for all crane types, including standard construction cranes, rather than what's used for skyscrapers and major projects. Although $25B is a huge number.

What technology companies are moving into Montreal (you mentioned it in another post)? I work in technology and would be interested to research what sorts of opportunities might be available that I haven't yet seen (I have been browsing on Indeed and a handful of other sites).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 07:26 AM

3,187 posts, read 2,632,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I was just there and would be shocked if that count wasn't for all crane types, including standard construction cranes, rather than what's used for skyscrapers and major projects. Although $25B is a huge number.

What technology companies are moving into Montreal (you mentioned it in another post)? I work in technology and would be interested to research what sorts of opportunities might be available that I haven't yet seen (I have been browsing on Indeed and a handful of other sites).
Yeah, they're including all types of cranes for sure, if they were just including skyscraper cranes then it's for sure under 150 and by a huge margin. For businesses, a lot of investments for new offices/labs here from Thales, IBM opened a new innovation centre downtown, DeepMind, Facebook, Samsung, Aglyis, Double Negative which is visual effects opening offices here, Mathematic studio opening an office here etc... It's not really headquarters but still were seeing many companies establishing new offices here and labs which is a positive sign.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:44 AM

26,825 posts, read 37,929,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I personally wouldn't care as I am not a shopaholic but don't be surprised that some other people would. I was just as equally surprised as you that they would close so early on a Saturday. I mean isn't that supposed to be prime shopping time for families? I would have thought vendors would like to open as late as possible on Saturdays.
Well, I have teenagers who love to shop and the idea of going shopping on a Saturday night has never come up with them. Unless it's just before Christmas during the rush when we are cramming to buy stuff - but during that period in December hours malls in Quebec have extended hours on Saturday nights to 9 pm, and sometimes to midnight.

It's also worth noting that we are on the border with Ontario and so 10 minutes away in Ottawa the malls are open until 9 pm on Saturday night.

We don't really take advantage of it, nor do most people I know. I don't ever remember people saying "we can't come over to your place this Sat. night because we're going shopping...", or even people reporting that that's what they did on their Saturday night.

Saturday night is for going out or spending an evening at home with friends.

And now that I think of it, on the rare occasions I've been to a mall on Saturday night in Ottawa (say, in April), it seems like most of the customers are disproportionately "new Canadians"... for some reason.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,218,990 times
Lots of demand for jobs at Ubisoft..= https://www.ubisoft.com/en-US/careers/search.aspx

Old 11-01-2017, 07:54 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,984,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, I have teenagers who love to shop and the idea of going shopping on a Saturday night has never come up with them. Unless it's just before Christmas during the rush when we are cramming to buy stuff - but during that period in December hours malls in Quebec have extended hours on Saturday nights to 9 pm, and sometimes to midnight.

It's also worth noting that we are on the border with Ontario and so 10 minutes away in Ottawa the malls are open until 9 pm on Saturday night.

We don't really take advantage of it, nor do most people I know. I don't ever remember people saying "we can't come over to your place this Sat. night because we're going shopping...", or even people reporting that that's what they did on their Saturday night.

Saturday night is for going out or spending an evening at home with friends.

And now that I think of it, on the rare occasions I've been to a mall on Saturday night in Ottawa (say, in April), it seems like most of the customers are disproportionately "new Canadians"... for some reason.
Funny that you mention that (in bold). As you know, I'm a Montreal girl who lived in the land of 24/7 shopping (the States) for a long time. Even when I moved back to Montreal from the States, I saw no reason to go shopping on Saturday night, or even past the other days' times.

So here I am in Ottawa now and, a few months ago, out to dinner on Saturday night, I remarked to the person I was with "I wonder why that shopping center parking lot has so many cars at 8:00 p.m." I had no idea that the stores were open. The parking lot wasn't packed like it usually is so I guess that most people do have something better to do on a Saturday night.

I don't care one way or another if stores are open past 6:00 p.m. on Saturday night. I just know that I have no need for that; they're open the next day too. (Remember when stores were not open on Sundays?)

Old 11-01-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Can anyone speak to the quality of health care in Montreal? I have a lot of friends from Toronto and they claim that getting in to see a doctor, get an MRI, or get a procedure can be difficult and lengthy. In other words, it's not the health insurance (like in the US), but the availability to receive care. Does anyone have experience here?
It's hard to say as the experience varies from person to person, from region to region, and according to the type of treatment and care involved.

I am not saying that your friends in Toronto are biased but it is a bit of stereotype in Toronto and Ontario that public services (including health) in Montreal and Quebec are a disaster compared to those in Ontario.

The reality is probably a bit more nuanced, but Ontario has been a richer province that Quebec for a long time so it's probably not a stretch to say that the system in Ontario is more "perfected". Even if the one in Quebec isn't bad either - especially in Montreal where many of the specialized services are concentrated. (But of course there are way more people seeking services too.)

https://globalnews.ca/news/3084366/q...and-procedure/

And I say this is a person whose had two family members who almost died in recent years due to medical practitioner errors in the Ontario system. (I have quite a few relatives in Ontario and so does my wife.)

Errors can happen anywhere unfortunately.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Funny that you mention that (in bold). As you know, I'm a Montreal girl who lived in the land of 24/7 shopping (the States) for a long time. Even when I moved back to Montreal from the States, I saw no reason to go shopping on Saturday night, or even past the other days' times.

So here I am in Ottawa now and, a few months ago, out to dinner on Saturday night, I remarked to the person I was with "I wonder why that shopping center parking lot has so many cars at 8:00 p.m." I had no idea that the stores were open. The parking lot wasn't packed like it usually is so I guess that most people do have something better to do on a Saturday night.

I don't care one way or another if stores are open past 6:00 p.m. on Saturday night. I just know that I have no need for that; they're open the next day too. (Remember when stores were not open on Sundays?)
There are plenty enough hours during a given week when the stores are open in Quebec for anyone to do all the shopping they could possibly need to do.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Lots of demand for jobs at Ubisoft..= https://www.ubisoft.com/en-US/careers/search.aspx
Thanks, I appreciate it. My wife and I just provided a retainer to a Quebec law firm to start a process for skilled workers and permanent residency. I have a feeling that will be required in order to open up the number of jobs that are available to me.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:01 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,218,990 times
You dont need to pay a professional to go through the immigration process to get a work permit or to apply for resident status,just fill out the required forms and send them to the required department of immigration. heres some reading on the issue = Immigration, Diversité et Inclusion Québec - Retaining the paid services of an individual (consultant, notary, lawyer)

Old 11-01-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You dont need to pay a professional to go through the immigration process to get a work permit or to apply for resident status,just fill out the required forms and send them to the required department of immigration. heres some reading on the issue = Immigration, Diversité et Inclusion Québec - Retaining the paid services of an individual (consultant, notary, lawyer)
Thanks, I spent about a week researching whether I wanted to retain legal assistance. I found the immigration site, where you create a profile, confusing when trying to start an application. That plus the express entry process wasn't clear to me and I thought that for less than $1k, I'd like someone to work with me to make the best application based on the experiences they see across applicants. Maybe I'll regret it, but I'd rather regret spending the money than messing something up or being unsure about what I should submit an application for based on our current situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal