Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2018, 01:42 PM

631 posts, read 562,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
He would be an exception. Most latinos in Quebec speak French. It is much easier to learn than English.

The French and Spanish for “It’s easier to learn French than Spanish”:

Il est plus facile d’apprendre le francais que l’anglais

Es más fácil aprender el francés que el inglés

In terms of lexicon, sentence structure and grammar, patterns of intonation, and overall pronunciation, French is more effortlessly acquired by Spanish speakers (and speakers of other Latin-based languages) than English. Hispanophones do assimilate to French at much higher rates than other immigrant groups, if you believe StatCan data.

Last edited by 2ner; 05-23-2018 at 02:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 01:45 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
He would be an exception. Most latinos in Quebec speak French. It is much easier to learn than English.
This is my experience as well. In both Gatineau and Montreal.

Quite a few latinos actually speak only French and Spanish. Often if they speak any English it's very shaky.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:46 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post

BF...what is BF? Bush & Forest ville?

B U T T F U C K

The vulgar anglo term for, I guess, St-Glinglin.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:26 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
We need more Anglo separatists like Jambo. If Canada wants to be loved by me, please organize a nationwide referendum and kick Québec out of the federation

If Canada does it, I'll cry tears of joy, that would be the greatest thing it could ever do

QO One can only imagine how you treat Anglos when you come in contact with them, Kicking Quebec out of Canada would be a personal joy if i had the power,But if you are waiting for Canada to do it for you you will wait a long time, Quebec provincial elections up coming ,its your chance to vote PQ then have your referendum on separation,you have my total support on your efforts to separate..
Seems i'm the only one who feels a sense of pride in being a Canadian as no one else wants to weigh in on the side of Canada and i wasnt even born here or raised here but love this country and feel blessed to be part of it..

Old 05-23-2018, 03:44 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is my experience as well. In both Gatineau and Montreal.

Quite a few latinos actually speak only French and Spanish. Often if they speak any English it's very shaky.
That comes to no surprise to me either. French and Spanish along with Italian and Portuguese are Romance Languages. English is derived from an older form of Low German with a huge borrowing of Latin and French words but the grammar structure is different (no declensions or conjugations for instance). I can imagine it would be harder for either a French or Spanish speaker to learn English.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:52 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
Quote:

I appreciate that PQ only wants to allow migrants who already know French before they arrive. About relocating them to the rural areas...I think it's unlikely that migrants will go the rural areas, they had the free choice in the past and always overwhelmingly preferred Grand Montréal and the majority of the rest chooses Québec City or Sherbrooke, which isn't rural either. I just can't imagine that they'll go the more far-away areas. Nice plan PQ, but it will fail. But please make "only French knowing migrants" reality.

There is a reason why most immigrants in the whole of North America migrate first to major cities these days and that's because there are more opportunities beyond the original offer and the opportunity to band together in a close knit neighborhood. How are we sure that rural communities are welcoming to immigrants such as Haitians, Nigerians, Lebanese, and Algerians even if they speak French? Wouldn't some fear that the newcomers would swamp their towns and villages? Wouldn't this in turn turn off such immigrants from moving to rural communities? How are we sure this is a genuine statement and not another political ploy?

Old 05-23-2018, 03:58 PM

16,029 posts, read 6,840,321 times
I would be more concerned of the changing religion than the language.

Long live Samuel Francis Smith !

Old 05-23-2018, 05:26 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
I would be more concerned of the changing religion than the language.
!

Quebecois are probably the most secular people in Canada, and they also have to most back bone to speak up against religious people. They don' have this "Christianity bad everyone else good" mentality that the rest of Canada has.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:37 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
They don' have this "Christianity bad everyone else good" mentality that the rest of Canada has.
If this has anything to do with our conversation in the T.O forum to clarify - I am PRO secularism in our laws and political institutions. That means I Do not support something like Sharia law supplanting our laws and our constitution. I think you can draw necessary conclusions UL.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:40 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
If this has anything to do with our conversation in the T.O forum to clarify - I am PRO secularism in our laws and political institutions. That means I Do not support something like Sharia law supplanting our laws and our constitution. I think you can draw necessary conclusions UL.
No fusion it was not because the other conversation we were having, but i do see that sort of things on here and in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal