Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2018, 02:33 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,392,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
Here's a video of the last white lady in Detroit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCT_g_n61gY. She has bars on her outside windows and doors and on the inside of her house so no one can get into her bedroom if they break in. All her neighbors' houses are abandoned. Maybe if Francophones get ruffian enough they can take over the city and drive the Anglos out.
What a disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 04:00 AM

543 posts, read 899,701 times
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCT_g_n61gY. She has bars on her outside windows and doors and on the inside of her house so no one can get into her bedroom if they break in. All her neighbors' houses are abandoned. Maybe if Francophones get ruffian enough they can take over the city and drive the Anglos out.
I live in Metro Detroit. The architecture of downtown Detroit is very similar to a lot of the older buildings in downtown Montreal. Also, with street names like Atwater, St. Antoine, and Beaubien, one get confused as to where one is. Pull in the Radio Canada station from Windsor and you would be all set.

The city of itself Detroit is about 20% white and currently has a white mayor. Downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods are undergoing major gentrification. Unfortunately, many of the neighborhoods are in fact like the one in that video. No doubt its a problem. The metro area is about 4.5M people and is quite diverse.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:01 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
You want us to take over Montreal... or Detroit?

Old 06-20-2018, 07:24 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,799,455 times
From the research I’ve done on Wikipedia, I’ve never found a Montreal neighborhood that is 100 percent Francophone.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
From the research I’ve done on Wikipedia, I’ve never found a Montreal neighborhood that is 100 percent Francophone.
It's not in the nature of large cities anywhere in the western world to be 100% of any specific group.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's not in the nature of large cities anywhere in the western world to be 100% of any specific group.
I was referring to specific neighborhoods, not the city as a whole.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
I was referring to specific neighborhoods, not the city as a whole.
I'd say that's true of specific neighbourhoods in large cities as well.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:03 PM

518 posts, read 397,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
And you think they didnt? all kids graduating from school in the last 20 years have a working knowledge of FRench and those Anglos working in a French Milieu have adapted ,so i'd say Anglophones and Allophones have made that effort exceedingly well.
And Wren while i agree with your assessment on Quebec separation it certainly wont be happening anytime soon as the PQ are in third place for the upcoming provincial election.

It was better when Anglos and Francos were both unilingual. Bilingualism is ruining and diminishing the use of French. French was doing much better in the 90s than now. Probably the 90s will forever mark the peak of french in modern Montréal.

Also, all kids graduating from school also know English, so that's not an advantage for French.

Also the Anglos are very mean and do everything possible to keep French as minimal as possible, while protecting English at all costs, here's a horrifying statement from the Montréal English school board, EMSB, that is SABOTAGING French immersion schools:

"Q: Why is enrollment in French Immersion school expected to begin declining in 2014-2015? A: Busing services to French immersion schools have been sharply restricted by imposing smaller busing territories for French immersion schools. The policy was introduced to slow an accelerating shift into French immersion schools which resulted in severe enrolment decline at Bilingual and English Core schools."

Source:
https://visionpdf.com/anne-lagaca-do...rman-a-qa.html

I was shocked when I read this, the Anglos have made it harder for pupils to reach French immersions schools by imposing burdens on them, like limiting buses and lowering the amount of bus stations on the way to French immersion schools.

Some Anglo parents actually want to send their kids to French immersion schols but the ignorant powerful Anglo élite is making it very hard for them, they are not democratic and ignore the wishes of parents. Moreover, the amount of French in bilingual schools is low in the last two school years which is demotivating Anglo kids to later attend French CEGEP. Bilingual secondary schools aren't really bilingual, because in the end, it's 85% English, and only in primaryy school and first years of secondary schools its really bilingual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneyed View Post
The townships are predominantly French and have been for awhile now. But Saint-Lazare, Hudson, Pincourt are majoritarily English. Depending on the day, you can easily hear more English than French in those areas and in Vaudreuil-Dorion.

Unfortunately, they are turning English and if Bill 101 won't be enforced, it will happen very fast.

Quote:

because there isn't any.

Tétreaultville is the most French neighborhood at around 82% in Montréal.
There are many neighborhoods where French is below 40% and increasingly below 35%....French is drastically deteriorating...
http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/pls/port...LTVILLE_V2.PDF

Last edited by QuebecOpec; 06-20-2018 at 12:15 PM..

Old 06-20-2018, 06:11 PM

It may be a sin to say this, but I think this thread is ridiculous. The way I interpret the OP, a Francophone who learns English will stop speaking French and become a traitor to Quebec. I write this after having drunk a lot of beer, so my judgement may be off.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:57 PM

631 posts, read 561,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You want us to take over Montreal... or Detroit?
The term Anglo may mean different things on each side of the U.S./Canada border. In Quebec, (I think) it means anyone who has English as their predominant language, independent of race or ethnicity, although depending on context it can also refer to WASP / Brit-types. In the U.S., the term has been used to describe English-speaking white Americans vis-à-vis Hispanic Americans. In Detroit, the Anglo (non-Hispanic white) population has grown a smidgen between 2010 and 2016 (the *white* population is higher if you include Latinos - but these are not Anglos) - so, as someone has already posted, there is a renaissance in the making. However, the predominant demographic in Detroit are still full or partial Ébonicophones (for lack of a better linguistic-based term - most blacks / African-Americans are bidialectal) at 79.7% of the total (2016).

*You guys* aren't plentiful enough to take over... well, *you* could do it, but it would be a stretch.

A better strategy is to stay in Quebec, stay faithful to French, be so-darned appealing as a people that others want to join your group, and have more babies.

Last edited by 2ner; 06-20-2018 at 08:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal