Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 11:09 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Speaking of Champlain Bridge, I always thought the Mercier Bridge would be the first to need an overhaul. That thing has always been scary to cross. I was surprised when the Champlain Bridge replacement was announced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 12:37 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Speaking of Champlain Bridge, I always thought the Mercier Bridge would be the first to need an overhaul. That thing has always been scary to cross. I was surprised when the Champlain Bridge replacement was announced.
Same here, but like every infrastructure project in Montreal from the late 50s to 60s, everything was rushed (Champlain and Turcot especially). Champlain never added water pipes cause they thought they were never gonna use salt on the bridge during winter. Because of that dumb a** move, the bridge deteriorated quickly and then they added everything but it was too late. Now we're getting a state of the art bridge and highway interchange that should last more than a decade. I'm sure Mercier Bridge is next in line but at the same time once these two are complete they're gonna start work on Highway 20 interchange and Louis Lafontaine tunnel. In the future, I hope they bury Autoroute 40 cause that thing is hideous and crumbling, and you can free up a lot of land there to make a long stretch of green space.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Same here, but like every infrastructure project in Montreal from the late 50s to 60s, everything was rushed (Champlain and Turcot especially). Champlain never added water pipes cause they thought they were never gonna use salt on the bridge during winter. Because of that dumb a** move, the bridge deteriorated quickly and then they added everything but it was too late. Now we're getting a state of the art bridge and highway interchange that should last more than a decade. I'm sure Mercier Bridge is next in line but at the same time once these two are complete they're gonna start work on Highway 20 interchange and Louis Lafontaine tunnel. In the future, I hope they bury Autoroute 40 cause that thing is hideous and crumbling, and you can free up a lot of land there to make a long stretch of green space.
AGAIN?? Seems like just a few years ago I was up visiting friends and got lost due to all of the construction and detours resulting from what looked like an interchange overhaul at the tunnel's exit.

I couldn't agree more with the 40.

Ah Montreal... Some things will never change. Rue Barrée and orange cones live on.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
AGAIN?? Seems like just a few years ago I was up visiting friends and got lost due to all of the construction and detours resulting from what looked like an interchange overhaul at the tunnel's exit.

I couldn't agree more with the 40.

Ah Montreal... Some things will never change. Rue Barrée and orange cones live on.
Yeah the tunnel was all patchwork to fix a few leaks and lighting, then near the entrance, they rebuilt ramps and repaved and all that, and now they're going to refurbish the whole thing.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...r-year-project

I haven't heard much on it yet but still. In one way it's frustrating cause it's endless construction but on the other hand while other cities have to rebuild their infrastructure and it's all old, Montreal will have new, modern and better built infrastructure.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:59 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Looks like they are digging up the Lachine Canal.https://www.mtlblog.com/news/montrea...ll-summer-long

Old 01-04-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Looks like they are digging up the Lachine Canal.https://www.mtlblog.com/news/montrea...ll-summer-long
Damnit why MTLblog haha, they're trash . But yeah Griffintown station will be a great location (imagine with the future baseball stadium, if it happens). I'm so excited for the REM, even when I heard about it back in 2014, which was a couple of years before it was announced, I knew the city needed the project.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Damnit why MTLblog haha, they're trash . But yeah Griffintown station will be a great location (imagine with the future baseball stadium, if it happens). I'm so excited for the REM, even when I heard about it back in 2014, which was a couple of years before it was announced, I knew the city needed the project.
Yes. Long overdue.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:27 PM

Speaking of the REM, here are pics that were taken today of the progress so far

South Shore

Lachine Canal

Source: https://twitter.com/remgrandmtl?lang=en

Old 01-10-2019, 03:34 PM

Big news at the start of January

DENSO Opens Montréal Innovation Lab

Quote:
DENSO, the world’s second largest mobility supplier, together with Canadian, Québec and Montréal government officials, announced today it has opened a North American satellite research and development (R&D) lab in Montréal, Canada. As part of its “second founding,” DENSO is opening satellite R&D labs around the world to accelerate advanced R&D within the automotive industry. Research activities in Montréal will focus on innovations in advanced technology like artificial intelligence (AI).
DENSO Opens Montréal Innovation Lab - Montreal International

Old 01-14-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Speaking of the REM, here are pics that were taken today of the progress so far

South Shore

Lachine Canal

Source: https://twitter.com/remgrandmtl?lang=en
This I really can't wait for. One thing I've always loved about Montreal is how well it handles public transit. Even the bus system is generally pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal