Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 09:08 PM

4,869 posts, read 10,469,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Dorval is the closest city to the airport, so I imagine a lot of employees live there.
It's always listed as the "Montreal" airport, but it's actually in Dorval. Lots of West Islanders work at the airport, I went to high school with some of them. If I talk to an agent or buy something at Tim Hortons, there's a real good chance they'll sound like me when they speak English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 09:19 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,712,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It's always listed as the "Montreal" airport, but it's actually in Dorval. Lots of West Islanders work at the airport, I went to high school with some of them. If I talk to an agent or buy something at Tim Hortons, there's a real good chance they'll sound like me when they speak English.
Do you have a Québécois accent?

Old 03-23-2019, 01:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,996,121 times
Quote:
Ahh the old accent obcession, Mouldy every one has an accent,even you.
As for the airport there it is right out my living room window =https://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g...psvvvysklb.jpg

Old 03-23-2019, 01:04 PM

13,570 posts, read 10,272,378 times
Just curious - do the locals still refer to the airport as Dorval? Kind of similar to Parisians calling CDG Airport "Roissy" referring to its locale. Or to folks in Sao Paolo, Brazil, calling its Gualruhos international airport Cumbica.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:17 PM

35,309 posts, read 51,996,121 times
I'll continue to call it Dorval Airport as its easier to say than Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:07 AM

4,869 posts, read 10,469,631 times
Quote:

No, I speak English like a native English speaker from the West Island, and so do my peers at the airport. My accent is "Quebecker", but not in the Francophone sense of the word.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:24 AM

2,895 posts, read 5,106,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Just curious - do the locals still refer to the airport as Dorval? Kind of similar to Parisians calling CDG Airport "Roissy" referring to its locale. Or to folks in Sao Paolo, Brazil, calling its Gualruhos international airport Cumbica.
People either say Dorval or just «*the airport*» since Mirabel no longer has passenger flights and St-Hubert is tiny.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:29 PM

518 posts, read 391,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Just curious - do the locals still refer to the airport as Dorval?
yes, I always call it Dorval Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'll continue to call it Dorval Airport as its easier to say than Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport.

What a horrifying name. I have to vomit when I read it. I guess the purpose of this airport's official name is to remind people that heritage, inheritance & social background is everything and matters the most in Canada. Kids who are born in Canada have basically no chance to ever become a top politician if their parents weren't rich and famous politicians before them. In Canada, at birth it is already decided what people will become and what not because top postions are inherited and thus these places are all occupied. P. and Justin Trudeau are a disgrace for Canada. The Liberals, making the rich richer and setting monuments for themselves, paid by the poor...

And I just wonder, will in future also an airport be named after Justin Trudeau? I guess he aspires to become everything his father has been and this includes getting an airport name? How many infrastructure projects will be named after the Treasonous Trudeau Clan?

Nice to see jambo, that we finally agree on something, I certainly will never call the airport like that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
People either say Dorval or just «*the airport*» since Mirabel no longer has passenger flights and St-Hubert is tiny.

it's Dorval Airport because there's still Plattsburgh airport just across the border in the US which is specialized in serving Montréalais in cheap flights

Old 03-26-2019, 09:46 PM

518 posts, read 391,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Unilingual francophones or unilingual anglophones working with the public at the airport? Not likely.
Very likely and reality. Not so much for unilingual francophones because there are barely any left on the West Island, but very much for unilingual anglos.

Dorval is listed a a commune à statut bilingue, which means no anglophone is required to speak French and may speak English-only all the time in public and all public services are in English. Dorval Airport itself is very anglo.

Dorval is even more English than Vancouver.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:20 PM

26,763 posts, read 37,665,557 times
The Dorval municipality has no jurisdiction over the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal