Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 08:42 AM

26,759 posts, read 37,656,929 times

Advertisements

Since the OP asked about lawyers, immigration and property, it's worth noting that Quebec's legal system is based on French civil law.

And so here you have "notaires" (notaries or title attorneys) who are the ones you deal with for buying property, and also wills and testaments.

This is distinct from "avocats" (lawyers) who deal with litigious matters, case law, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 08:44 AM

Also regarding the OP, if you tell us where you're from or where you have lived in the past, we can give you an idea if Montreal will feel "sufficiently" European to you...

(I'd also add that I don't believe anyone has talked about climate yet.)

Old 05-03-2021, 09:24 AM

16,826 posts, read 14,983,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
The taxes will feel european, that and the weird language but thats it.
Narrow streets, heavy focus on public transit, bikes, etc.

I agree with an above post that it’s a blend of Europe and Brooklyn. The only American cities that I think are somewhat comparable in feel are Brooklyn and Philly.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:20 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,358,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Montreal living is more like American than it is Europe.
Goodness me! How and why did you come to that conclusion? My opinion would be Montreal is the absolute opposite of your typical "American" city, if of course you meant "American" as a synonym for United States of America.

Were I, as an anglophile to choose to live in a city on the N. American continent, it would be Montreal precisely because, of all cities offering English language as an available option, it fulfills that requirement while most closely mirroring European cities.

Were I to wish to go full emersion, in the 'as close to a European experience' on this continent, it would then be Quebec City for me.

JMHO.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:09 PM

4,869 posts, read 10,468,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Goodness me! How and why did you come to that conclusion? My opinion would be Montreal is the absolute opposite of your typical "American" city, if of course you meant "American" as a synonym for United States of America.

Were I, as an anglophile to choose to live in a city on the N. American continent, it would be Montreal precisely because, of all cities offering English language as an available option, it fulfills that requirement while most closely mirroring European cities.

Were I to wish to go full emersion, in the 'as close to a European experience' on this continent, it would then be Quebec City for me.

JMHO.
People are just talking past each other, it's just because Montreal has things in common with places in the US like Boston/Philly/Brooklyn and is well rooted in this continent culturally and historically. That doesn't mean it wouldn't still feel pretty foreign to an American, and it doesn't mean it's anything like Wichita.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

JMHO.
I think dismissive comments à la "there ain't nothing European about Montreal" are kind of an over-correction, in reaction to the equally exaggerated statements you often hear à la "it's sooooo European!", "it's just like being in France!" or "it feels like Paris!".

Old 05-03-2021, 01:38 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,344,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
People are just talking past each other, it's just because Montreal has things in common with places in the US like Boston/Philly/Brooklyn and is well rooted in this continent culturally and historically. That doesn't mean it wouldn't still feel pretty foreign to an American, and it doesn't mean it's anything like Wichita.
I can see the new tourism ads directed at Americans.

" Montreal!! It ain't anything like Wichita"

Old 05-03-2021, 03:54 PM

12 posts, read 11,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Also regarding the OP, if you tell us where you're from or where you have lived in the past, we can give you an idea if Montreal will feel "sufficiently" European to you...

(I'd also add that I don't believe anyone has talked about climate yet.)
Hey,
I've never been to Europe. Only America and visited some Latin American countries as well. I'm from a mid-size city in the west coast. However, it's mostly cars, Walmarts and not a lot going on. I still like it but I feel its more for relaxing for a month.

However, I did live in NYC for a few years and I really liked it. I really like walking everywhere and having lots of entertainment like going to the park, concerts and small theaters. I told some friends and they told me life in NYC is similar to London and maybe Berlin.

Hence, when I say European that's what I meant.

Old 05-03-2021, 05:11 PM

566 posts, read 665,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnorak100 View Post
However, I did live in NYC for a few years and I really liked it. I really like walking everywhere and having lots of entertainment like going to the park, concerts and small theaters. I told some friends and they told me life in NYC is similar to London and maybe Berlin.

Hence, when I say European that's what I meant.
This, you can definitely have in Montreal, in many of the central neighbourhoods, like Plateau-Mont-Royal, Rosemont, Villeray, Verdun, the city centre, Westmount, Notre-Dame-de-Grâce, Hochelga and a few others. You can walk everywhere or use frequent transit or cycling (we have bicycle paths everywhere).

If you go in the suburbs the way of life is definitely more comparable to what you’re probably used to in the US.

Old 05-03-2021, 05:13 PM

29 posts, read 16,647 times
I lived in New Jersey, been to Montreal numerous times and now live in Europe. Montreal is an amazing city that has a lot to offer. However, besides old town it does feel more North American the way streets are laid out, houses, the suburbs and stores. Quebec City feels like a French town however. It’s French speaking and uses the metric system so it has distinct feel, but it’s not Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal