U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 06:17 PM

258 posts, read 235,112 times

Advertisements

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, what are my must eats in the Montreal area, I'll be there for 3 days next month. I eat everything from hot dogs to high end and like all kinds of ethnic foods: French, Chinese, Thai, Sandwiches, Burgers, Italian you name it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 11:40 AM

110 posts, read 563,222 times
It depends what you will do and where you will stay but if it is likely to be in the ''Centre-ville'' area then you will have the choice. Other neighborhoods also have plenty of good restaurants. Area's like Vieux- Montréal, Plateau and Mile end will offer you more than one can expect.

Be more specific on what you'd like to experience and i will try to come up with some options.

If you wish to try some upscale modern/french cuisine or local working class mom & pops joints. Maybe some pure Montreal classic like poutine, bagels, smoked meat etc... or some hype, lively, youngish happening kind of place.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:02 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,641,975 times
The best kept secret is this place called Romados on Rachel St: it's the best portugese roasted chicken I've ever had. There are only a few seats inside as it's also a sort of deli/bakery, but you can take your food outside as there are benches around. Each meal was less than $5 each last time I went.

Also, Schwart's on St-Laurent boul. for their popular smoked meat, Jean-Talon market for one of the best ice cream (near the chocolate shop Privilège, another awesome place!) and you'll also love the whole vibe of the market, Caffé Italia for a no frills, amazing coffee place (there are no menus but you can order a nice prosciutto sandwich for example and their coffee is to die for!). Another coffee place is Café Deux-Marie on Saint-Denis St where they roast their own beans.

If you're looking for a good microbrewery, L'Amère à boire on St-Denis that also serves food like lamb or rabbit burgers (never ate there but I'm sure it's awesome, their beer is!) and Dieu du Ciel, who now has their own beers on the market.

For something different: Chu Chai on St-Denis St is a vegetarian thai place that will blow your mind. Bar BU is a great wine bar with italian food.

Avoid eating downtown and in the old port unless you know a good place, because it tends to be touristy and overpriced.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:05 AM

1,049 posts, read 5,728,364 times
Resto Yoyo |Restaurant français apportez votre vin, sur le plateau |Restoyoyo.com

Old 05-27-2009, 08:50 PM

258 posts, read 235,112 times
Not sure, plan on being there for a few days. What area would you recommend. I am not into touristy areas.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:13 PM

1,049 posts, read 5,728,364 times
Montreal's a wanderer's town. My fav neighbourhoods:

the Plateau (Rue Mont Royal, Rue St-Denis)
St-Laurent aka "The Main"
The Old Port is the old heritage area. Touristy, sure, but worth a visit.
Parc Mont Royal's worth a stroll up to the top.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:08 PM

110 posts, read 563,222 times
Definitively the Plateau area (St-Denis and Mont-Royal is the main corner)

Mile end neighborhood along St-Laurent street, Park avenue, St-Viateur and Fairmount street.

St-Laurent street beetwen Sherbrooke and Mont-Royal and beyond...

Also St-Paul street in the old Montreal. Much more touristy but a must see.

If you don't mind a gay area then hop on Ste-Catherine east in the Village. Some little secret can be found there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or