U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 03:34 AM

20,334 posts, read 16,609,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Late replying to this but unless I'm mistaken, children of people on temporary work permits are normally waived from those eligibility requirements.
You are right if i read the bottom of this link correctly, but it will probably require dealing with Quebecs bureaucracy and filling out lots of forms.

Immigration-Québec - Schooling of the children of temporary workers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 02:55 PM

10,162 posts, read 11,127,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You are right if i read the bottom of this link correctly, but it will probably require dealing with Quebecs bureaucracy and filling out lots of forms.

Immigration-Québec - Schooling of the children of temporary workers
From what I have heard it is not that difficult to get if you truly are a temporary worker.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:40 PM

79 posts, read 115,470 times
Are there any good schools in NDG or West Mount? Say near villa maria metro or Montreal Bonavista?

Old 04-28-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish View Post
Are there any good schools in NDG or West Mount? Say near villa maria metro or Montreal Bonavista?
For what grade?

Old 04-28-2011, 02:41 PM

Grade 3 & Grade 1

Old 04-29-2011, 06:08 AM

Asking my wife who is a spiritual animator in several schools in another borough her recommendations for English public schools are
Rosalyn School in Westmount.
Wilingdon,Merton and Royal Vale in NDG.
And Elizabeth Ballantyne school in the borough of Montreal West.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhablee Warsi View Post
I have received a phone call from Westmount Park school Montreal. Anyone know about it how i this school Academically. Thanks
Odd school as it is located in one of the highest price neighborhoods in Canada yet all its students come from some of the lowest price neighborhoods in the country.
No self respecting Westmount resident would send their kids to that school.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Hi,

I see that there are different kind of schools Bil/Eng/Imm/E & I etc. Does anyone have idea what exactly they mean and what is the criteria to get admission for each?
Usually any English resident of Quebec has the choice of sending their kids to public English or French school also Bilingual school or French immersion school, not sure how that translates to temporary residents..

Old 04-29-2011, 11:15 AM

10,162 posts, read 11,127,031 times
Quote:
Hi,

I also will be moving to Montreal in this summer with family and kids 8 & 5. When I see the list of schools listed at http://www.emsb.qc.ca/en/schools_en/...s2010-2011.pdf. I see that there are different kind of schools Bil/Eng/Imm/E & I etc. Does anyone have idea what exactly they mean and what is the criteria to get admission for each? What are the options for someone who is on Temp Work Permit?

Thanks
Girish
Bilingual schools: 50% of the day in English and 50% of the day in French. Subjects that are in either language can vary from school to school. You could do science in French, math in English, gym class in French, music in English, etc.

English: all topics in English with French taught as a second language only in French class

French immersion: all topics taught in French except for English (grammar and literature - though not taught as a second language); generally for English-speaking kids; school environment from a parental perspective is in English, and homework is designed so that parents who are not so good in French don't have too much difficulty helping out

French: all topics in French with English taught as a second language only in English class; school environment generally in French only as are all communications with parents.

Note sure what E&I means.

(Roughly 90% of all kids in Quebec are in the "French" system, including close to 90% of the children of recent immigrants.)

Old 05-02-2011, 08:46 AM

Thanks a lot Jambo and Acajack !! This information is really helpful. My Kids here are in Gifted and Talented programschool. These are special schools and there is a criteria to get admissions to these schools. Are there such schools/ program there in Montreal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal