Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 01:49 PM

26,763 posts, read 37,665,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d k lee View Post
could you please tell me how much the school fee for the private english school?
thanks
It depends on the school but generally between 10,000 and 20,000 Canadian dollars per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 01:08 PM

6 posts, read 42,963 times
there are many public bilingual schools in the English school board, andything marked with a 'B' on the linked page is a bilingual school. http://www.emsb.qc.ca/en/pdf_en/2012...12-2013-en.pdf

My question is: is Nesbitt or Dante the better elementary school? Does anyone have eny experience of these schools?

Old 03-16-2013, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,709 times
Hi

We are new emergents planing to settle in Montreal by the beginning of next year. My boys are IB students third grade who don't know any French, I wanna know if they can join an English IB school, in case they should go to a French school how would they follow classes, should they go to a public school to continue with the immigration process. School is my main concern.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry_mo View Post
Hi

We are new emergents planing to settle in Montreal by the beginning of next year. My boys are IB students third grade who don't know any French, I wanna know if they can join an English IB school, in case they should go to a French school how would they follow classes, should they go to a public school to continue with the immigration process. School is my main concern.
What does IB mean?

Basically, unless you are living here temporarily or arriving from another part of Canada, they will have to go to French school in Montreal.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:09 PM

939 posts, read 1,508,187 times
What exactly is the advantage of going to an English-language public school in Montreal over a French-language one? Are there really that many people under 50 in Montreal who can't speak English? I mean if you're from Saguenay maybe, but Montreal?

Old 03-16-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
What exactly is the advantage of going to an English-language public school in Montreal over a French-language one?
I think it is more a cultural choice and a matter of identity than a practical language learning issue. Some people really would prefer that their kids be English-speaking Canadians (or perhaps English-speaking North Americans) than French-speaking Canadians.

What is more surprising is that people for whom this is really, really important still choose to move to Montreal (knowing full well what the situation is), and then complain bitterly once they arrive here.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Are there really that many people under 50 in Montreal who can't speak English?
More than one might think. Though bilingualism is more prevalent among younger people there are still many people in Montreal who do not speak English. Not sure of the exact age breakdown but overall it is probably 35-40 of the population that speaks only French or at least has very limited English.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:10 AM

1,264 posts, read 3,848,453 times
IB (International Baccalaureate) or BI (Le Baccalauréat International)

Page 7 of this pdf file has details of the Montreal schools offering the IB/BI program.
http://www.csdm.qc.ca/Reussir/~/medi...chainQuoi.ashx

Schools have "welcoming class" (classe d'accueil) for new arrivals with little or no knowledge of French.
May be someone from Montreal can explain about this.

Last edited by dougie86; 03-17-2013 at 04:23 AM..

Old 03-17-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
IB (International Baccalaureate) or BI (Le Baccalauréat International)

Page 7 of this pdf file has details of the Montreal schools offering the IB/BI program.
http://www.csdm.qc.ca/Reussir/~/medi...chainQuoi.ashx

Schools have "welcoming class" (classe d'accueil) for new arrivals with little or no knowledge of French.
May be someone from Montreal can explain about this.
I am pretty sure they are similar to ESL classes in the US. It's a temporary class where they try and get them up to speed in French with a view to getting them into regular classes as soon as they are ready.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:17 PM

4,869 posts, read 10,469,631 times
Quote:
What exactly is the advantage of going to an English-language public school in Montreal over a French-language one? Are there really that many people under 50 in Montreal who can't speak English? I mean if you're from Saguenay maybe, but Montreal?
Often people speak some English, but not that well, certainly not so well that they'd feel comfortable trying to go to school in their second language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal