U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 06:31 PM

3,477 posts, read 2,915,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Five Guys?? you gotta be kidding. Outstanding eatery? - only in WV lol.
I don't think he was reffering to five guys LOL

Morgantown has some top notch, "LOCAL OWNED" food! not to mention, the college style places that offer things you wouldn't find anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 11:22 PM

6,457 posts, read 4,722,205 times
Oh, I see, they have superior fast food in Charlotte, NC. Right.
And, the only thing in Philly that is any good is the cheese steak.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:22 AM

939 posts, read 1,803,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
And, the only thing in Philly that is any good is the cheese steak.
Compared to what? Morgantown?!?! Either you've never been to Philadelphia or you are absolutely insane. I can't think of anything other than pepperoni rolls that I couldn't find a better version of in Philly than in Morgantown.

Pizza? That question is laughable, honestly. There is a pizza joint named "Quigs" down the road from me that makes a better pie than anywhere in Morgantown. The pizza box is green and covered in clovers. How sad is it that a region with such a proud Italian heritage gets its best pizza outdone by a group of Irish in the suburbs?

Italian? Morgantown's best is barely better than Olive Garden.

French? Morgantown doesn't even have it.

Indian? Nothing. Chinese? It's ok, but can't touch what you get in Chinatown. Soul food? None. Mexican? The quasi-authentic like at Los Mariachis is decent, but I bet you've never been to a real taqueria. There are two places within a mile from my house (both quasi-authentic and authentic) that are better than all of the Mo'town joints.

I know you love Morgantown. I love Morgantown. But Morgantown can't compete with an actual city with actual first-generation immigrants and highly trained chefs.

I've only been here for a few months and I've found a long list of local eateries that are spades better than what you find in Morgantown. It's just how it is...more competition...more skill...only the finest places survive more than a year or so.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,142 times
I'm not saying any of the following places are good, but "Indian? Nothing." .. when was the last time you were in morgantown? Mother of India and Saffron are both Indian restraunts, by Indians...

Not to mention other ethnic restraunts like Kenyan Cafe and Lavender Cafe which is Taiwanese not Thai.

I have to agree that on Chinese food the closest is Peking which is mediocre at best. For Japanese Ogawa is pretty solid.

On another note I would never be foolish enough to compare morgantown to a much larger area as that's just silly and a useless comparision, but for it's size it has some decent places to eat.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:06 PM

3,477 posts, read 2,915,297 times
I like the Ledo's Pizza at Suncrest, even though the other Ledo's Pizza chains are still better

Old 04-23-2011, 06:04 AM

1,593 posts, read 1,858,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Five Guys?? you gotta be kidding. Outstanding eatery? - only in WV lol.
I didn't see where he was referring to Five Guys as an outstanding eatery. I guys when you are a pompus idiot you imagine things.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:21 PM

6,457 posts, read 4,722,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
Compared to what? Morgantown?!?! Either you've never been to Philadelphia or you are absolutely insane. I can't think of anything other than pepperoni rolls that I couldn't find a better version of in Philly than in Morgantown.

Pizza? That question is laughable, honestly. There is a pizza joint named "Quigs" down the road from me that makes a better pie than anywhere in Morgantown. The pizza box is green and covered in clovers. How sad is it that a region with such a proud Italian heritage gets its best pizza outdone by a group of Irish in the suburbs?

Italian? Morgantown's best is barely better than Olive Garden.

French? Morgantown doesn't even have it.

Indian? Nothing. Chinese? It's ok, but can't touch what you get in Chinatown. Soul food? None. Mexican? The quasi-authentic like at Los Mariachis is decent, but I bet you've never been to a real taqueria. There are two places within a mile from my house (both quasi-authentic and authentic) that are better than all of the Mo'town joints.

I know you love Morgantown. I love Morgantown. But Morgantown can't compete with an actual city with actual first-generation immigrants and highly trained chefs.

I've only been here for a few months and I've found a long list of local eateries that are spades better than what you find in Morgantown. It's just how it is...more competition...more skill...only the finest places survive more than a year or so.
You're entitled to your opinion, but if you feel that way, why are you posting here? You should be over on the PA board extolling the virtues of your chosen city... slums and all. I'm not saying Philly is bad, mind you, but there is no way I would change places with you, and I say that having lived for nearly two decades near a REAL large city. Not saying they're right, but if you talk to the folks in The City, they'd tell you Philly is the sticks. Everything is relative, and personal tastes are different. It's nice that you've found a home. To me, Morgantown has just the right mix of urban and rural, along with the cultural attributes of a major university and the wonderful outdoor venues of the Allegheny Mountain Range right out the back door. We don't have as MUCH of some things as the large cities, but that includes the negatives they have there too.

By the way, next time you're in Morgantown, check out the French chef at Saragasso's. Chef Poulin would be delighted to show you around.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:00 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,068,488 times
[quote=Silkdashocker;18851200]I didn't see where ]

he was referring to Five Guys as an outstanding eatery. I guys when you are a pompus idiot you imagine things.[/quote

OK - so CT mountaineer says "awesome new five guys" and "Motown has/is getting some outstanding eateries" - - and one is not to conclude that he is implying that 5 guys is an outtanding eatery?????
Your "denial" of this makes you the idiot.- he does imply 5 guys is outstanding.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:37 PM

4,715 posts, read 8,428,671 times
Has this board been taken over by Pitt undergrads????

Spring Break should be over soon and a return of sanity postings...

'Back to class, Kiddies!

Old 04-24-2011, 08:05 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,068,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Has this board been taken over by Pitt undergrads????

Spring Break should be over soon and a return of sanity postings...

'Back to class, Kiddies!

Nah- WVU grad - sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown