U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-04-2011, 10:39 PM

6 posts, read 5,365 times

Advertisements

My twins are doing a social studies project on Lewis Wetzel. We are planning a trip to the northern part of the state to visit historical markers and sites related to him. While doing research, I've come across a discrepancy about the statue of Wetzel on the courthouse lawn in Wetzel county. The claim is that the statue of Lewis Wetzel and that of David Morgan were allegedly switched during shipment a long time ago. The result is that the supposed statue of David Morgan in Morgantown is actually that of Wetzel, while the Lewis Wetzel statue in New Martinsville is actually that of David Morgan. Can anyone substantiate this claim?
Thanks so much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 12:32 AM

6,885 posts, read 5,390,578 times
I had never heard that, but Wetzel was a major presence all over the northern part of WV in that era including Wheeling and especially Marshall County. I believe his family home was in the Sand Hill area of Marshall and I think he is burried there. He was a famous (notorious if you happen to be indian) indian fighter who was legendary for his exploits. Here is something about his death and burial...

http://webpages.charter.net/cwfw/ps04/ps04_286.htm

For information about the Morgantown statues, I suggest you visit the city's historical museum, where you will find people very knowledgable about local history matters.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:30 AM

2,383 posts, read 4,507,973 times
I grew up in Wetzel County, and never heard anyone say the statues were switched.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:15 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,798,367 times
Yes, that is a fact...Lewis Wetzel is in Morgantown and Dan Morgan is in New Martinsville.

The statue of Dan Morgan resembles the Morgans...short, muscular and stout....

The Statue of Lewis Wetzel is lean and lanky...

Morgan was known for running at full speed and being able to jump through the center of rail fences.

(Pioneer games of stamina and prowess usually done on some holiday when the liquior flowed)

The last of that to exist are the turkey shoots and some reinactment games at contemporary gatherings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown