Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 03:40 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
We are choking on traffic in Morgantown, and need maybe 10 miles of roadway here to keep up with demonstrated demand. What does state government do? They plan on building 10 miles of highway in the middle of nowhere in southern West Virginia.

http://ee.dominionpost.com/Olive/ODE...&view=ZW50aXR5

What a bunch of idiots!
It is a nightmare to get from Cheat Lake to Morgantown and vice versa. Two years to build a small bridge?!?!?!?! If it were in Charleston they would have had it done in a few months. When they do give NCWV money they dont give enough and come up with the worse contracts. When the construction is in the south they make sure work gets done fast, but here they dont care.

It is only a matter of time until Morgantown is controlling the state government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 05:36 PM

389 posts, read 796,989 times
Quote:
It's actually not such a bad idea. It helps alleviate congestion downtown, and there are already a number of self contained student communities. These things are kind of amazing. They offer students social events and partys, athletic facilities, free transportation to classes, free rides to and from downtown (they don't have to drink and drive if they want to party), and are very nice. They also offer a variety of living options in terms of roomate arrangements, sharing living room and bath facilities, etc. I wish they had them when I was in school.

The students can avail themselves of the association's free transportation, or take the local busses anywhere they go for free. There are connections with the PRT, and with the busses to Clarksburgh, Fairmont, Waynesburg, and Pittsburgh. In the near future they will also connect with multiple daily bus runs to Uniontown.
Yeah I'm definitely not following you on this one. There is no way this will alleviate traffic downtown. First off, I live in one of these apartment communities. They're generally all the same in that the landlords are incompetent and are basically raping their tenants for their money. Despite being "professionally cleaned" my apartment was filthy when I moved in and it's only a year old. The situation is pretty much the same at all of these complexes in that regard. They let certain things go in order to save a buck. The facilities offered are nice, but the bus service isn't all that reliable. Quite a lot of the residents don't use the service anyway, so what you'll end up with are 500 cars going back and forth between downtown and Star City all day and coming up and down that hill. Traffic up in University Towne Centre is bad enough now. I can't even imagine what it's going to be like. They really should build a second access road to the development. The only thing this new apartment complex will do is add to the sprawl that is contributing to the gridlock we've been experiencing. The type of apartment complexes that take cars off the streets are these new ones going up downtown where the students can walk to everything or take one of the multiple means of public transportation. I'm personally thinking about moving to Beechview Place next year once it's built if I like it. My apartment is really nice, but I'm already sick of living so far off campus and having to drive everywhere I need to go.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
Yeah I'm definitely not following you on this one. There is no way this will alleviate traffic downtown. First off, I live in one of these apartment communities. They're generally all the same in that the landlords are incompetent and are basically raping their tenants for their money. Despite being "professionally cleaned" my apartment was filthy when I moved in and it's only a year old. The situation is pretty much the same at all of these complexes in that regard. They let certain things go in order to save a buck. The facilities offered are nice, but the bus service isn't all that reliable. Quite a lot of the residents don't use the service anyway, so what you'll end up with are 500 cars going back and forth between downtown and Star City all day and coming up and down that hill. Traffic up in University Towne Centre is bad enough now. I can't even imagine what it's going to be like. They really should build a second access road to the development. The only thing this new apartment complex will do is add to the sprawl that is contributing to the gridlock we've been experiencing. The type of apartment complexes that take cars off the streets are these new ones going up downtown where the students can walk to everything or take one of the multiple means of public transportation. I'm personally thinking about moving to Beechview Place next year once it's built if I like it. My apartment is really nice, but I'm already sick of living so far off campus and having to drive everywhere I need to go.
Lack of zoning and explosive development are problems in Morgantown. The bigger problem is lack of funding from Charleston. I've lived in this town for over 2 decades and Charleston has barely gave Morgantown money to build new roads. Almost all the aid comes from the federal government. Meanwhile, Southern WV, especially around Charleston and Huntington are getting roads everywhere that go nowhere despite the fact that the population is shrinking. All the money for new infrastructure is given to a few cities that kowtow to Charleston in exchange for supporting the corrupt WV system.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:01 AM

389 posts, read 796,989 times
Quote:
We are choking on traffic in Morgantown, and need maybe 10 miles of roadway here to keep up with demonstrated demand. What does state government do? They plan on building 10 miles of highway in the middle of nowhere in southern West Virginia.

http://ee.dominionpost.com/Olive/ODE...&view=ZW50aXR5

What a bunch of idiots!
This is actually kind of infuriating. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the people of Hinton but are they expecting a huge population gain in the near future or something? Do the 3,000 residents of Hinton really need a highway to get back and forth to the interstate? I mean I understand what they're trying to do. Generally, infrastructure improvements bring growth of some sort to any community--in fact, the area I'm from is actually pushing for a north-south corridor for that reason--but it only works in certain circumstances. Also, if they are building all these highways to help out the small southern West Virginia towns that have fallen on hard times, where are they doing that up here? Where are the big infrastructure and growth-promoting investments in Moundsville or Weirton or New Cumberland? Why is it that the Coalfields Expressway is still a high priority for West Virginia when Joe Manchin declared the I-68 extension dead when it goes through an area that is just as devoid of major routes (I'm not very convinced of either proposal, by the way)? If anybody has some answers that they would like to share, please enlighten me.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
This is actually kind of infuriating. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the people of Hinton but are they expecting a huge population gain in the near future or something? Do the 3,000 residents of Hinton really need a highway to get back and forth to the interstate? I mean I understand what they're trying to do. Generally, infrastructure improvements bring growth of some sort to any community--in fact, the area I'm from is actually pushing for a north-south corridor for that reason--but it only works in certain circumstances. Also, if they are building all these highways to help out the small southern West Virginia towns that have fallen on hard times, where are they doing that up here? Where are the big infrastructure and growth-promoting investments in Moundsville or Weirton or New Cumberland? Why is it that the Coalfields Expressway is still a high priority for West Virginia when Joe Manchin declared the I-68 extension dead when it goes through an area that is just as devoid of major routes (I'm not very convinced of either proposal, by the way)? If anybody has some answers that they would like to share, please enlighten me.
You wont get a logical answer. Charleston just wants to spend money on pork projects and trying to slow down their decline.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:28 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
That's the sad part... they will squander money on these bogus projects just for the pork money while areas of true need suffer. I like the folks in Hinton too, but I mean really... we have no choice but to start to exert political pressure in the northern part of the state to stop this insanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown