U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 04:39 PM

385 posts, read 353,786 times
Default New Development in Morgantown

So I've been to pretty much every corner of Morgantown in the last couple of days and so far I've noticed that:

1. Work is progressing on the new Beechview Place apartment building downtown, as well as on the new apartment complex at University Towne Centre behind Hollywood Theatres.
2. Construction is going on on a lot at University Towne Centre across from Target, adjacent to EV Rooms and Dick's Sporting Goods (I believe). Any idea what's going in there?
3. Some type of shoulder work is going on at the intersection of Route 705 and Don Nehlen Drive. They're also working on the lot adjacent to that shoulder. Any idea what's going in there too?
4. A new building is being constructed at Pierpont Landing shopping center.

If anyone knows what we're getting at these new construction sites, I'd definitely be interested. Also, any info on developments that I may have missed is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 08:00 PM

6,522 posts, read 4,815,404 times
There is a new access road being constructed to Mon General Hospital on 705 with most of the work being done in the evenings to help alleviate traffic congestion. I believe that is the activity across from Nehlen Drive.

They are also completing the office buildings in Suncrest Town Center, but you didn't mention those.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
There is a new access road being constructed to Mon General Hospital on 705 with most of the work being done in the evenings to help alleviate traffic congestion. I believe that is the activity across from Nehlen Drive.

They are also completing the office buildings in Suncrest Town Center, but you didn't mention those.
Hmm... thanks for the info. That should make Mon General easier to find for people that aren't familiar with the area and just provide better access to the hospital in general. Weren't there mobile homes in that vicinity though? Are they removing them to put in the access road?
Oh and thanks for the addition about Suncrest. Definitely looking forward to the new PNC Bank location so I won't be limited to the Mountainlair office.
I'm really interested in what's going to become of this lot in UTC. Suncrest has a website but the UTC does not and I haven't been keeping up with the local newspaper.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:28 PM

I live here, but I'm not sure of the nature of the construction at UTC. They are building things so quickly here it isn't easy to keep up with all the developments. I'll try to find out and let you know.

If you're interested in new construction, the new indoor practice facility for mens and womes basketball behind the Coliseum is nearly completed, they are working on The University's new Art Museum where the former Alumni Center was located, and they will soon be starting a more than $50 million construction and upgrade of facilities project for the Evansdale Campus. They are also removing some of the old student slum buildings on the river side of Beechurst for a faculty parking area, a block of so from the new housing and commercial development on the old Chico property.

Also in the planning stages is a new facility for WVNET in The University's Research Park with the old building likely to be sold to Milan. Since 12 of the top 15 selling brand name medications have patents that will be expiring in the next year or so, it is likley that Milan will need to expand to keep up with the demand for generics. It's no secret that they would like to have that property.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 08-07-2011 at 08:39 PM..

Old 08-08-2011, 10:30 AM

So it looks like I may have found a partial answer to my question. There is a sign next to the construction site across from Sam's Club that says something to the effect of: "Future home of Premier Chevrolet, Buick, GMC." So it looks like the University Towne Centre will soon have a car dealership. However, it looks to me as if that may be directed at the construction site on top of the hill directly across from Sam's, whereas there's also construction going on down the bank of the hill directly adjacent to EV Rooms. This could just be the extension of utilities to the site, I suppose, or it could be another construction site. To me it looked like a separate project but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I live here, but I'm not sure of the nature of the construction at UTC. They are building things so quickly here it isn't easy to keep up with all the developments. I'll try to find out and let you know.

If you're interested in new construction, the new indoor practice facility for mens and womes basketball behind the Coliseum is nearly completed, they are working on The University's new Art Museum where the former Alumni Center was located, and they will soon be starting a more than $50 million construction and upgrade of facilities project for the Evansdale Campus. They are also removing some of the old student slum buildings on the river side of Beechurst for a faculty parking area, a block of so from the new housing and commercial development on the old Chico property.

Also in the planning stages is a new facility for WVNET in The University's Research Park with the old building likely to be sold to Milan. Since 12 of the top 15 selling brand name medications have patents that will be expiring in the next year or so, it is likley that Milan will need to expand to keep up with the demand for generics. It's no secret that they would like to have that property.
Thanks for all the info! In regards to the Art Museum, where exactly is the old Alumni Center? Regarding the old riverside buildings, that's always good news. I was actually driving by that area of Beechurst with some friends from home and they actually commented on their dilapidated state and that they needed to be torn down. I know at one point they were hoping that the next block down would become more new apartments, but I guess this is the new plan. I'm guessing they plan on putting in a parking lot, but what we really need on downtown campus is a parking garage. It's definitely smarter growth to have a garage rather than a sprawling lot, albeit much more expensive. With demand for parking exceeding availability by 300%, the university really needs to do something more than urge freshman not to drive. I was hoping that they would eventually turn those dirt lots on Grant Ave. into a parking garage, but it looks like that will be a new park in the near future (something else we desperately need at this university). I've always wondered about the WVU Research Park. I new it was planned and under construction for a while but never knew what became of it.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
Thanks for all the info! In regards to the Art Museum, where exactly is the old Alumni Center? Regarding the old riverside buildings, that's always good news. I was actually driving by that area of Beechurst with some friends from home and they actually commented on their dilapidated state and that they needed to be torn down. I know at one point they were hoping that the next block down would become more new apartments, but I guess this is the new plan. I'm guessing they plan on putting in a parking lot, but what we really need on downtown campus is a parking garage. It's definitely smarter growth to have a garage rather than a sprawling lot, albeit much more expensive. With demand for parking exceeding availability by 300%, the university really needs to do something more than urge freshman not to drive. I was hoping that they would eventually turn those dirt lots on Grant Ave. into a parking garage, but it looks like that will be a new park in the near future (something else we desperately need at this university). I've always wondered about the WVU Research Park. I new it was planned and under construction for a while but never knew what became of it.
The former Alumni Center is on the campus side of Patterson Drive near the entrance to campus from that street. It is almost across the street from the church.

A parking lot is definitely preferable to the buildings it is replacing, which were slums at best. The slum lords decided to retire and cash in on the high land value in the area. I suspect eventually they will tear down the old Fieldhouse and develop that entire side of the street up to the new complex being built on the Chico property. It will improve the appearance of that part of town exponentially, but at this poiint we can be glad development has started.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:28 AM

The old fieldhouse being Stansbury Hall?? If that's the case, they'll have to find somewhere to relocate all the ROTC facilities, as well as several offices and classes. I do believe that's part of the university's plan though. Knapp Hall, a university office building a little further down Beechurst, is an eyesore as well. It would be nice if they could relocate those offices and get rid of that building too. But yes I totally agree. It's definitely looking up since they got the ball rolling with the Sunnyside Up program. New sidewalks, street lamps, street signs, and two new bus stops on Grant, the new Honors Hall, Mountaineer Place, the upcoming Beechview Place, and the purchase of all those blighted properties for renovation are definitely giant leaps in the right direction in improving a very ugly neighborhood which just so happens to neighbor a very beautiful campus.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:56 AM

I think it was during the tenure of Gordon Gee (or perhaps his predecessor) that Knapp was constructed in the mid 70s, and I think they borrowed plans from a Russian Gulag to do it. Appearance wise, it has been a negative from the outset. It is not in poor condition on the interior, but how can you make it blend in with everything else. The idiots who plannned the thing didn't even make sure they used red brick.

My opinion... they need a new spur on the PRT to the Coliseum and a parking garage there, coupled with a walking bridge over Mon Blvd. They need to so something with Stansbury and find a way to dress up Knapp. They need to buy up the rest of the slum buildings and further develop the campus along Beechurst. Together with current developments at The University, that would further cement positive developments there. The city needs to find a better way to tie the Wharf in with the downtown area... University Ave. is dangerous to cross on foot. Improving access to the biking hiking trail from downtown would accomplish that. The state needs to do its part with infrastructure on ingress and egress routes and on Van Voorhis and West Run. If things keep moving in that direction, we'll make major improvements on all fronts.

I'm sure you've seen, our town is a great place to live for retirees too. My wife and I retired here from the NYC area and it was the best move we could have made.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 08-08-2011 at 12:10 PM..

Old 08-08-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I think it was during the tenure of Gordon Gee (or perhaps his predecessor) that Knapp was constructed in the mid 70s, and I think they borrowed plans from a Russian Gulag to do it. Appearance wise, it has been a negative from the outset. It is not in poor condition on the interior, but how can you make it blend in with everything else. The idiots who plannned the thing didn't even make sure they used red brick.

My opinion... they need a new spur on the PRT to the Coliseum and a parking garage there, coupled with a walking bridge over Mon Blvd. They need to so something with Stansbury and find a way to dress up Knapp. They need to buy up the rest of the slum buildings and further develop the campus along Beechurst. Together with current developments at The University, that would further cement positive developments there. The city needs to find a better way to tie the Wharf in with the downtown area... University Ave. is dangerous to cross on foot. Improving access to the biking hiking trail from downtown would accomplish that. The state needs to do its part with infrastructure on ingress and egress routes and on Van Voorhis and West Run. If things keep moving in that direction, we'll make major improvements on all fronts.

I'm sure you've seen, our town is a great place to live for retirees too. My wife and I retired here from the NYC area and it was the best move we could have made.
For a forty year old building, the exterior of Knapp appears to be deteriorating rather quickly, but I can definitely see where it would be an eyesore from the get go. It doesn't help that every last window has an air conditioning unit hanging out of it.

A parking garage at the Coliseum might work. In my opinion though, a downtown garage would get more use as that's where the main campus is and that's where the nightlife is. People already park at the Coliseum and then hop on the PRT at engineering and ride it downtown. I do, however, completely agree that the PRT should have a spur to the Coliseum and there is actually a small piece of track between Engineering and Beechurst stations where the spur was supposed to be, but never came to fruition. There were actually a lot of PRT stations planned at one time. My grandparents stayed at the Residence Inn Marriott last spring and their complimentary visitors' guide to Greater Morgantown included a map of the PRT with stops and whole segments that don't exist. My guess is that they got an old map that showed what the PRT would look like with all the planned stations. Too bad none of them were ever built. (http://www.tourmorgantown.com/VisitorsGuide2010.pdf Check out page 29 of 56). I keep hearing about how they're pumping money into improving the system which is great. Hopefully it will be more reliable in the years to come. Once the system is modernized, they might want to consider some cosmetic upgrades as well.

As far as better connecting downtown with the Wharf district, I think they should start brainstorming and figuring out where funds for a project like that would come from, but not really pushing for anything immediate as the Wharf has yet to become anything exciting (although it is up and coming). My theory is that this new apartment complex on Beechurst, with access to the rail trail in its backyard, will bring about an increase in usage of the rail trail (residents jogging, biking, etc.) and will help to pick up the pace of development down in the Wharf. Hopefully that will kick things off down there.

I can definitely see where this would be a great town to retire to. It can be scenic and quiet if you want it to be, but is still young and vibrant, which is a mix you don't find too often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown