Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 12:50 PM

19 posts, read 22,819 times

Advertisements

hello, I will be transferring to WVU from Marshall U next semester and to be honest, i'm not really familiar with Morgantown. If I didn't have to, I would probably just stay in Huntington. Regardless, I will be living off campus and i'd love to get an apartment by myself. Here's a little info on what i'm looking for:

-1 bedroom apartment (pre-furnished would be nice)
-$400-600 a month (I realize this is probably a long shot)
-i'd like to be within walking distance of the downtown campus
-off street parking would be a bonus

I pretty much know next to nothing about the area, as i've only been there like 4 times.

Any recommendations on good places to look? I know my description is somewhat vague, but any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 07:14 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,844,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikext View Post
hello, I will be transferring to WVU from Marshall U next semester and to be honest, i'm not really familiar with Morgantown. If I didn't have to, I would probably just stay in Huntington. Regardless, I will be living off campus and i'd love to get an apartment by myself. Here's a little info on what i'm looking for:

-1 bedroom apartment (pre-furnished would be nice)
-$400-600 a month (I realize this is probably a long shot)
-i'd like to be within walking distance of the downtown campus
-off street parking would be a bonus

I pretty much know next to nothing about the area, as i've only been there like 4 times.

Any recommendations on good places to look? I know my description is somewhat vague, but any info would be appreciated.
When are you moving?

For $600 you can get a furnished one bedroom apartment within walking distance of the main campus. HOWEVER, it might not be a nice apartment. Many of these apartments have been occupied by students since the 60s and 70s. I personally think they have character, and are good for students, but once you settle down you wouldnt want one.

I dont know any specific apartments, but try Craigslist. I know its cliche but they are the best source in Morgantown for apartments. You should be able to find an apartment that meets all your criteria in a few days.

Also, I think you will find Morgantown to be much better than Huntington once you get to know it. It is a much less depressing place, while being much more fun.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:59 PM

i'd be moving in mid-december. thanks for the info. it'll take me awhile to get used to how hilly morgantown is haha. i'll look around on craigslist.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:41 PM

Unfortunately Mid December isnt the best time as many places are currently rented. Due to its nature there is always vacancies in Morgantown, and some students will be dropping out. However, you will have less options than if you were coming in the summer or fall of next year.

Still at $600 max you should be able to find a place, probably for less. I imagine you will be paying around $500 if you dont mind living in a slummy place.

How far do you mind walking in the cold? That effects rent. SP can be a good area if you dont mind a 15-40 minute walk. For sure you could get closer though.

I highly recommend you look at any potential apartment first.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:46 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,992,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikext View Post
i'd be moving in mid-december. thanks for the info. it'll take me awhile to get used to how hilly morgantown is haha. i'll look around on craigslist.
There are many housing options for students in Morgantown with varrying price ranges. Some of the units near the downtown campus are not among the nicer ones, but those are gradually being replaced with new multiple unit student housing facilities which are privately owned and operated.

It's best to come up and look around, then decide whether you want to rent an older unit (those are gradually disappearing as newer ones are being built).
You can also contact the office of student housing for assistance in finding something that suits your needs. Don't rule out the newer units located in other areas of town since these places have many ammenities and most offer free transportation to and from classes. Some even take you downtown and pick you up in the evenings so you won't be driving under the influence. When you visit, ask around and talk with some current students to get their suggestions too. Go the Mountainlair, one of the libraries, or some of the places on High Street that are student haunts.

Like coming to any new place, it is important to take advantage of the many opportunities here to get involved and make new friends. There are organizations for every taste in activity, a well developed intramural athletic program, clubs of every sort, and the outstanding outdoor venues that abound near Morgantown. Of course, there is also Mountaineer Athletics and a wonderful Arts and Entertainment program.

Welcome to Morgantown. You are sure to love it here, like the rest of us.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
There are many housing options for students in Morgantown with varrying price ranges. Some of the units near the downtown campus are not among the nicer ones, but those are gradually being replaced with new multiple unit student housing facilities which are privately owned and operated.

It's best to come up and look around, then decide whether you want to rent an older unit (those are gradually disappearing as newer ones are being built).
You can also contact the office of student housing for assistance in finding something that suits your needs. Don't rule out the newer units located in other areas of town since these places have many ammenities and most offer free transportation to and from classes. Some even take you downtown and pick you up in the evenings so you won't be driving under the influence. When you visit, ask around and talk with some current students to get their suggestions too. Go the Mountainlair, one of the libraries, or some of the places on High Street that are student haunts.

Like coming to any new place, it is important to take advantage of the many opportunities here to get involved and make new friends. There are organizations for every taste in activity, a well developed intramural athletic program, clubs of every sort, and the outstanding outdoor venues that abound near Morgantown. Of course, there is also Mountaineer Athletics and a wonderful Arts and Entertainment program.

Welcome to Morgantown. You are sure to love it here, like the rest of us.
Those newer buildings, the ones in downtown, are insanely overpriced. You are paying DC metro area prices to live in them. Those slum houses are overpriced for what they are, but affordable.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:33 PM

4,944 posts, read 8,905,406 times
If you are a serious student, stay away from Sunny Side. While more convenient to downtown, a lot more partying goes on there and it tends to be louder and the scene of most of the couch fires that you hear about. I also suggest being very careful when looking at the apartments close to the football stadium as well. While some of them are nice and quiet, the majority are filled by those who like to party as well. If you are looking for a quieter area, see what you can find in Suncrest or over by the med center off of Pineview drive. If you live in the Pinview Drive area, you can walk to the med center PRT and get around pretty easily. Also, if timed right, I believe parking at the Coliseum is still free and then you can walk to the engineering PRT.

Speaking from experience, going from Huntington to Morgantown there will be some things that you will have to adjust to. Number one, is the traffic. In Huntington we have a nice grid system and can easily handle the traffic of the 80,000+ who live, work and go to school here. The infrastructure in the city itself up there is very poorly laid out and you have to rely on 2 or three state roads to get around. This results in ridiculous traffic. Another thing, as you mentioned, is the more mountainous terrain. This isn't too big of a deal except in the winter time. Be careful when coming to stop signs on hills as you can slide right through them. Also, if you are used to Ritter Park, there is nothing like that up there which can be another big adjustment. They do have the rail trail which is nice for riding bikes.

One other thing that I noticed in my time up there, the people aren't quite as friendly as they are here. Not to say that they aren't friendly, just more of a northern influence while we have more of a southern influence here. My wife, who is from Morgantown, actually had to adjust for the opposite when we moved down here. The first time she went to the grocery store, she thought the bag boy was hitting on her when he offered to take her groceries to the car for her. She also took a while to learn that you could have a conversation with a person whom you had never met before and it was OK. That was initially weird for her as it doesn't happen much up there.

As for the less depressing and more fun up there comment, I found it to be the other way around, which is why I'm back in Huntington and very happy here. Hopefully you enjoy your time up there though.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
If you are a serious student, stay away from Sunny Side. While more convenient to downtown, a lot more partying goes on there and it tends to be louder and the scene of most of the couch fires that you hear about. I also suggest being very careful when looking at the apartments close to the football stadium as well. While some of them are nice and quiet, the majority are filled by those who like to party as well. If you are looking for a quieter area, see what you can find in Suncrest or over by the med center off of Pineview drive. If you live in the Pinview Drive area, you can walk to the med center PRT and get around pretty easily. Also, if timed right, I believe parking at the Coliseum is still free and then you can walk to the engineering PRT.

Speaking from experience, going from Huntington to Morgantown there will be some things that you will have to adjust to. Number one, is the traffic. In Huntington we have a nice grid system and can easily handle the traffic of the 80,000+ who live, work and go to school here. The infrastructure in the city itself up there is very poorly laid out and you have to rely on 2 or three state roads to get around. This results in ridiculous traffic. Another thing, as you mentioned, is the more mountainous terrain. This isn't too big of a deal except in the winter time. Be careful when coming to stop signs on hills as you can slide right through them. Also, if you are used to Ritter Park, there is nothing like that up there which can be another big adjustment. They do have the rail trail which is nice for riding bikes.

One other thing that I noticed in my time up there, the people aren't quite as friendly as they are here. Not to say that they aren't friendly, just more of a northern influence while we have more of a southern influence here. My wife, who is from Morgantown, actually had to adjust for the opposite when we moved down here. The first time she went to the grocery store, she thought the bag boy was hitting on her when he offered to take her groceries to the car for her. She also took a while to learn that you could have a conversation with a person whom you had never met before and it was OK. That was initially weird for her as it doesn't happen much up there.

As for the less depressing and more fun up there comment, I found it to be the other way around, which is why I'm back in Huntington and very happy here. Hopefully you enjoy your time up there though.
Sunnyside is actually quiet these days, although still slummy. When I first went to school it was loud and crazy, but ive been there at night and it is quiet these days. I would actually recommend it for the cheap price, and know many serious students who live there.

Also, living near the football stadium is not a problem, unless there is a game. And then the real problem is traffic if you need to leave. I live less than half a mile from the stadium and dont notice any changes, except for the noise.

Roads are probably worse here. Morgantown is underfunded by Charleston, and it is often ignored despite being the new economic engine of WV.

As for fun it is a matter of opinion, but people I know from Huntington tend to overwhelmingly prefer Morgantown. It is a city much more geared for young people.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:50 PM

4,944 posts, read 8,905,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
As for fun it is a matter of opinion, but people I know from Huntington tend to overwhelmingly prefer Morgantown. It is a city much more geared for young people.
And people I know who have lived in both tend to overwhelmingly prefer Huntington. It is a city much more geared for people who aren't in college. Guess we don't know any of the same people.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:59 PM

thanks again. i don't party so i would naturally prefer to be away from that. i have a car, so i can drive to class if needed, i'd just like to not have to drive every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown