U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 09:15 PM

6,261 posts, read 4,444,002 times
Default Official Presser Welcoming WVU to Big 12 Conference

WVU to Big 12 Reception Press Conference - WVU Mountaineer Sports: Basketball | Football | News |
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:31 PM

3,799 posts, read 4,594,576 times
Are WVU fans happy about this? I am surprised West Virginia agreed to join a conference so far away. Should make for some good basketball games with Kansas though.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:39 PM

1,440 posts, read 734,279 times
West Virginia made a good decision to join the big 12. The big east is just too volatile now---you need a scorecard to follow who is leaving and who is coming.

I get the impression---my opinion----that if Louisville, Cincinnati, and U Conn are either invited to join the ACC or the Big 12 they would be gone in a heartbeat.

UCF, SMU, Houston, and the service academies doesnt exactly make the BCS jump to attention and extend the automatic qualifier to the big east. If Boise jumps in----maybe makes a difference.

I wouldnt be shocked to see the big 12 entice Boise and BYU---that would make for a pretty strong Big 12.

Just too much uncertainty and lack of clarity in the big east----seems they are gasping for air now.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:53 AM

Conferences are becoming increasingly national, and less regional in character these days. There will be lots of economical charter flights to get fans to Iowa and Texas starting next year. The travel folks here in Morgantown are already talking about it.

I would not be surprised to see the B12 go to 14 members, inviting Louisville, Rutgers, and Boise or BYU. That would give it the right combination of high profile programs and a national footprint that would greatly enhance the media persence. We'd be looking at a media package worth billions.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:54 AM

6,352 posts, read 3,497,548 times
I am happy with this decision as sa Mountaineer fan. The big 12 wouldnt have been my first pick, or 2nd, but WVU needed to get out of the Big E. As a football conference it is done. The Big 12 is a good football conference, and still a good bball conference. I am a little concerned with distance. I really hope the Big 12 picks up Lville.

Im not sure if the ACC wants to expand anymore.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:32 AM

I believe we will ultimately have either 4 - 16 program mega conferences or 3 - 20 program mega conferences. The really big players will increasingly clump together to maximize media potential and avoid as much as possible sharing revenue with less affluent programs. These steps will be ongoing for the next decade or so, but none of the current conferences will look much as they currently appear in the end.

There is little logic for Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan to continue subsidizing Indiana, Northwestern, and Minnesota for example. Nor is it financially justified for Alabama, LSU, and Auburn to keep shifting funds to Vanderbilt and Mississippi State. There will be an increasingly national character to conferences in the years to come, in my opinion.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:41 PM

177 posts, read 184,992 times
The bcs sucks. Every team should have the opportunity to play for a Championship. Btw, I cant wait to play the Errs this saturday. Look out and Go Cards.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:04 PM

6,352 posts, read 3,497,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyconn View Post
The bcs sucks. Every team should have the opportunity to play for a Championship. Btw, I cant wait to play the Errs this saturday. Look out and Go Cards.
The BCS is all about $$$. The NCAA makes a ton of money from getting people to sponsor bowls, in addition to ad revenue. It is a terrible system, but like the conference system it is about money and not football.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:09 PM

29,053 posts, read 33,003,808 times
Yeah, all of this is stupid and almost has no rhyme or reason except for money. A league with WVU, Pitt, Penn State, Temple, Syracuse, Boston College, Army, Navy, Rutgers and later on with UConn, should have been created a long time ago. You maybe add Buffalo and UMass, with the latter joining the MAC next year.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:09 PM

11 posts, read 6,540 times
i have a weird thing for regional conferences, so i hate to see WVU join the big 12. i was really hoping for an ACC invite/bid. It would have been cool to see VT and WVU play again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown