U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2012, 10:12 PM
 
6,922 posts, read 5,438,288 times
Reputation: 947

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
The vast majority of WVU students are not counted in Morgantown's or Mon counties population. The growth of WVU has certainly helped the area but Morgantown is thriving due to thriving private business and recently drilling.

The state building that road was a joke. They started construction in the 90s, and werent able to build a few miles of road in a decade. The state never funded it or gave it priority.

Morgantown and mon county never saw any economic benefits from the expressway. Drive along it and you will notice a lack of development. The whole, "if you build it they will come," belief over a road increasing the local economies is false. The road was needed because coal trucks could not use the existing road. Corridor H is not going to save an area in decline. It is like giving a vitamin pill to someone with terminal cancer. Im not saying the area cant be saved, but some giant useless pork project is not going to save it. Also it is not fair to compare the expressway with the road in the south, because one is MUCH MUCH bigger than the other. Which one? Ill give you a hint it is in the south. So after 30 years of rapid growth the city Morgantown gets a small expressway thanks to the feds. After decades of decline the state builds a big road in the middle of nowhere funded by the state and the feds.

Your comments even show an anti-NCWV vibe. You are all for corridor H, but are resentful that NCWV got a few miles of interstate. "How dare NCWV get anything!"

You're right the anti-NCWV attitude doesnt make sense. Not a whole lot about WV politics does. Hardly surprising the city is one of the poorest, the most depressed, and the unhealthiest. The era of robber barons never ended in WV and they have treated this state like a 3rd world country. Now NCWV, led by Morgantown, threatens this status quo and could empower and develop the state.
Well said, but I think you are wrong about Mon Fayette. That road will reap huge benefits for our area for years to come. It will just take time to develop because it will take time for PA to complete their portion past Uniontown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2012, 10:20 PM
 
6,922 posts, read 5,438,288 times
Reputation: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
This will be my last post on this subject as I don't want to derail this thread. Here it goes..I don't hate NCWV at all. I actively support my alma matter, I support local businesses by going to all home football games each year, I recruit for my company from WVU etc. What I don't agree with is the common sentiment that many have up that way that they have been somehow slighted by the state. It has never made sense to me and likely never will.

Regarding the "it is not fair to compare the expressway with the road in the south, because one is MUCH MUCH bigger than the other." The Coalfields Expressway and Corridor H are two roads being buiilt through communities that are essentially devoid of an effective method of transportation. Places in McDowell, Mingo, Hardy, Pendleton etc don't have 2 interstates surrounding them like Morgantown. They can't generate economic development if there isn't even a decent infrastructure to go with. After all they didn't have the luxury of being selected as the home of the state's land grant institution (and all the perks that come with that) like Morgantown.

If NCWV, led by Morgantown is such an economic powerhouse threatening the status quo in WV, why then did you follow the path of so many other WVU alums down here to the DC area?
Okay, since you made a last post I'll make a last response to your last post.
Again, you are using the failed concept that because an area doesn't have roads for development, if you build the roads development will be the natural outcome. Those particular counties might have been devoid of roads and development, but other parts of that region have not be devoid of roads and the development has not taken place there. From a logical standpoint, responding to demonstrated demand is far more logical than hoping money spent someplace will have a better effect than a similar situation has shown nearby.

And, let's see... why do many WVU graduates go to DC for jobs? I just know you aren't serious when you say that. It is the Nation's capitol, and it is a very large city. It offers far more opportunities for employment in diverse fields than any place in West Virginia. Still, we aren't doing badly here in Morgantown. We have a great need for workers in several areas, especially the healthcare field. As you know, we have one of the Nation's lowest unemployment rates, even lower than Washington, DC.

Now, does that man we will need as many crime scene analysts as the far more populous District? I think you know the answer to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2012, 10:24 PM
 
6,351 posts, read 4,263,136 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
This will be my last post on this subject as I don't want to derail this thread. Here it goes..I don't hate NCWV at all. I actively support my alma matter, I support local businesses by going to all home football games each year, I recruit for my company from WVU etc. What I don't agree with is the common sentiment that many have up that way that they have been somehow slighted by the state. It has never made sense to me and likely never will.

Regarding the "it is not fair to compare the expressway with the road in the south, because one is MUCH MUCH bigger than the other." The Coalfields Expressway and Corridor H are two roads being buiilt through communities that are essentially devoid of an effective method of transportation. Places in McDowell, Mingo, Hardy, Pendleton etc don't have 2 interstates surrounding them like Morgantown. They can't generate economic development if there isn't even a decent infrastructure to go with. After all they didn't have the luxury of being selected as the home of the state's land grant institution (and all the perks that come with that) like Morgantown.

If NCWV, led by Morgantown is such an economic powerhouse threatening the status quo in WV, why then did you follow the path of so many other WVU alums down here to the DC area?
As an alumni you probably wouldnt see it, but your post does have elements of it.

The difference is there is nothing along the coalfields expressway, and most of corridor H. The people there dont even need it, and it is barely going to change anything. It was a pork project. Call it state welfare.

Morgantown is nowhere near the interstate and you need to take congested roads to reach the interstate, which was again built by the feds and not the state. You seem upset that Morgantown is near some interstates, but realize the state had nothing to do with that, and if they had there way they wouldn't be there.

Finally, about state funding on the expressway. They built maybe 2 miles of roads in 10 years. So yes state funding was involved, very minimal state funding. Seriously, you are bragging about this lack of accomplishment. That is like a developer expecting praise when they were hired to build a house in 1 year, and over 5 years they dig 1/10 of the foundation, and someone else needs to come and finish the job.

I left Morgantown, because I wanted to live somewhere new. I had job offers in Morgantown, but ive lived there most of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2012, 10:32 PM
 
6,922 posts, read 5,438,288 times
Reputation: 947
Odds are you could come back to Morgantown and have a job next week. We are one of the Nation's bright spots economically, and socially and culturally as well. That's why our area is experiencing real growth, not merely displacement from something nearby. We have one of the country's best educated populations and a wealth of natural resources and other assets at hand. It's hard to match that elsewhere, which explains our success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Clendenin, WV
3,737 posts, read 3,294,967 times
Reputation: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
This will be my last post on this subject as I don't want to derail this thread. Here it goes..I don't hate NCWV at all. I actively support my alma matter, I support local businesses by going to all home football games each year, I recruit for my company from WVU etc. What I don't agree with is the common sentiment that many have up that way that they have been somehow slighted by the state. It has never made sense to me and likely never will.

Regarding the "it is not fair to compare the expressway with the road in the south, because one is MUCH MUCH bigger than the other." The Coalfields Expressway and Corridor H are two roads being buiilt through communities that are essentially devoid of an effective method of transportation. Places in McDowell, Mingo, Hardy, Pendleton etc don't have 2 interstates surrounding them like Morgantown. They can't generate economic development if there isn't even a decent infrastructure to go with. After all they didn't have the luxury of being selected as the home of the state's land grant institution (and all the perks that come with that) like Morgantown.

If NCWV, led by Morgantown is such an economic powerhouse threatening the status quo in WV, why then did you follow the path of so many other WVU alums down here to the DC area?
This is so right, that it makes any point against it look bad. For some reason people in Morgantown feel like they are some how elite, but yet don't recieve anything from the state. Well, lets look at one gift that has been the largest source of Mtown development which would be WVU. Now how can you tell people that the state has somehow left NCWV out of the loop, when you all host the largest thing in the state of WV. There is nothing like that in southern WV. Nothing! You all are so upset about not getting a few paving projects, when you all have the largest school in the state. You should stick a sock in your mouths and give it a rest. Is it such an evil thing to make access by building highways for areas that have been isolated from everyone else for so long? Down in the coal fields there is alot of small towns that have been lost on the map because you can't get to them.

Highway projects here in WV have proven to have brought bout tourism and growth to areas in WV. An example being US 19, which has made towns like Oak Hill, Fayatteville, and Summersville grow. Those towns would be like coal field towns, if not for the Mountaineer Expressway. Not only did that road encourage business and residential growth, but now that areas tourism industry is booming. Whitewater rafting, mountain biking, camping, zip lining, tree tops tours, ect... Even part of the highway has become a huge tourism destination. Bridge day is our state's largest festival.

Another example would be Corridor G. Now if you all try to tell me that this road was a waste, and hasn't paid off then I'd take it that you were sick in the head. That whole road has brought economic stability to an area that was left in the dark for over 100 years. The growth that has taken place off of it has been a great example of what can happen when you build highways in Southern WV. Both examples have proven to be HUGE for our state's economy, more so then any road upgrades in little ole Morgantown.

Corridor H (which isn't in Southern WV) is a must need for our state a a whole. Right now, West Virginia's natural beauty and outstanding ski and recreation areas are at best little known and hard to get to. For a place so close to the largest percentage of population in America (Northeast corridor), you would think that this place would be jumping off the walls with tourism growth and visitors. But sadly because it is really hard to get to, it isn't. Corridor H would allow a direct route from DC into WV's main tourist areas. The direct connection could make Eastern WV the main place on this half of the country to camp, hike, bike, ski, boat, ect... Why would we even think twice about this road that would encourage people to visit.

US 35 is a need because it encourages industry. The Kanawha Valley is in an industrail growth period right now. With the natural gas industry in the state booming, I have a feeling that Charleston is going to play a national role in its production into gasoline and other products. Right now we are looking at having atleast two multi-billion dollar facilities that can do so, and put the valley back on the map as being a major industrail hub. US 35 would allow for more development along the river, and would open up Ohio to the Charleston market. This will affect the whole state, and will likely result in the golden era of WV.

As I said earlier I can't speak on the King Coal highways because I don't know enough about them. I do know that if they do build them, that there is a good possibility that the result will be similar to Corridor G, and Us 19. Which would only be positive news for the state. It wouldn't be a waste like people in Morgantown (and only Morgantown) think.

Now if you want to complain about having "bad roads" and "bad traffic", then by all means do it. But note that it just makes you all look uneducated and high on yourself. The truth is that traffic in Mtown is very managable. It makes Cross Lanes, Scott Depot, Teays Valley, Southridge, and Jefferson Road traffic look terrible, because the truth is that these places are much more congested, and all year long unlike Mtown.

Last edited by Chriscross309; 01-24-2012 at 09:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 07:51 PM
 
6,351 posts, read 4,263,136 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
This is so right, that it makes any point against it look bad. For some reason people in Morgantown feel like they are some how elite, but yet don't recieve anything from the state. Well, lets look at one gift that has been the largest source of Mtown development which would be WVU. Now how can you tell people that the state has somehow left NCWV out of the loop, when you all host the largest thing in the state of WV. There is nothing like that in southern WV. Nothing! You all are so upset about not getting a few paving projects, when you all have the largest school in the state. You should stick a sock in your mouths and give it a rest. Is it such an evil thing to make access by building highways for areas that have been isolated from everyone else for so long? Down in the coal fields there is alot of small towns that have been lost on the map because you can't get to them.

Highway projects here in WV have proven to have brought bout tourism and growth to areas in WV. An example being US 19, which has made towns like Oak Hill, Fayatteville, and Summersville grow. Those towns would be like coal field towns, if not for the Mountaineer Expressway. Not only did that road encourage business and residential growth, but now that areas tourism industry is booming. Whitewater rafting, mountain biking, camping, zip lining, tree tops tours, ect... Even part of the highway has become a huge tourism destination. Bridge day is our state's largest festival.

Another example would be Corridor G. Now if you all try to tell me that this road was a waste, and hasn't paid off then I'd take it that you were sick in the head. That whole road has brought economic stability to an area that was left in the dark for over 100 years. The growth that has taken place off of it has been a great example of what can happen when you build highways in Southern WV. Both examples have proven to be HUGE for our state's economy, more so then any road upgrades in little ole Morgantown.

Corridor H (which isn't in Southern WV) is a must need for our state a a whole. Right now, West Virginia's natural beauty and outstanding ski and recreation areas are at best little known and hard to get to. For a place so close to the largest percentage of population in America (Northeast corridor), you would think that this place would be jumping off the walls with tourism growth and visitors. But sadly because it is really hard to get to, it isn't. Corridor H would allow a direct route from DC into WV's main tourist areas. The direct connection could make Eastern WV the main place on this half of the country to camp, hike, bike, ski, boat, ect... Why would we even think twice about this road that would encourage people to visit.

US 35 is a need because it encourages industry. The Kanawha Valley is in an industrail growth period right now. With the natural gas industry in the state booming, I have a feeling that Charleston is going to play a national role in its production into gasoline and other products. Right now we are looking at having atleast two multi-billion dollar facilities that can do so, and put the valley back on the map as being a major industrail hub. US 35 would allow for more development along the river, and would open up Ohio to the Charleston market. This will affect the whole state, and will likely result in the golden era of WV.

As I said earlier I can't speak on the King Coal highways because I don't know enough about them. I do know that if they do build them, that there is a good possibility that the result will be similar to Corridor G, and Us 19. Which would only be positive news for the state. It wouldn't be a waste like people in Morgantown (and only Morgantown) think.

Now if you want to complain about having "bad roads" and "bad traffic", then by all means do it. But note that it just makes you all look uneducated and high on yourself. The truth is that traffic in Mtown is very managable. It makes Cross Lanes, Scott Depot, Teays Valley, Southridge, and Jefferson Road traffic look terrible, because the truth is that these places are much more congested, and all year long unlike Mtown.
Chris we talked about this before. WVU is unrelated to Morgantown. WVU does not build roads, or provide public services.

Also, you are one to complain coming from Charleston. The Capitol takes in MUCH more revenue than WVU, and they properly fund Charleston. I somehow dont think you would like the reverse argument, "Charleston has the Capitol so they shouldnt get any other funding." This kind of logic is stupid and I am a little disappointed in you Chris for having this kind of attitude towards Morgantown. Anywhere else people would be up in arms, but in NCWV we deserve nothing uh?

The problem is there is plenty of natural beauty much closer to the NE corridor than the route along corridor H. That extra 1-3 hours isnt what is holding people back from visiting the center and southern parts of the state. The area you are referring to is just far from the NE corridor, and by large the area is shrinking in both population and economic activity. It is basically a handout for a few areas of WV that are desperate for money.

Finally, the natural gas industry is really focusing on the northern part of the state, especially wheeling, where the gas is more abundant and easier to get to than in the south. For it will lead to development in the south, but I dont see Charleston becoming the epicenter of it. Right now Pittsburgh is the heart of the activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Clendenin, WV
3,737 posts, read 3,294,967 times
Reputation: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Chris we talked about this before. WVU is unrelated to Morgantown. WVU does not build roads, or provide public services.

Also, you are one to complain coming from Charleston. The Capitol takes in MUCH more revenue than WVU, and they properly fund Charleston. I somehow dont think you would like the reverse argument, "Charleston has the Capitol so they shouldnt get any other funding." This kind of logic is stupid and I am a little disappointed in you Chris for having this kind of attitude towards Morgantown. Anywhere else people would be up in arms, but in NCWV we deserve nothing uh?

The problem is there is plenty of natural beauty much closer to the NE corridor than the route along corridor H. That extra 1-3 hours isnt what is holding people back from visiting the center and southern parts of the state. The area you are referring to is just far from the NE corridor, and by large the area is shrinking in both population and economic activity. It is basically a handout for a few areas of WV that are desperate for money.

Finally, the natural gas industry is really focusing on the northern part of the state, especially wheeling, where the gas is more abundant and easier to get to than in the south. For it will lead to development in the south, but I dont see Charleston becoming the epicenter of it. Right now Pittsburgh is the heart of the activity.
You missed my point. For one, I'm not saying Morgantown shouldn't get funding! Not at all! I'm saying that it gets a heck of alot already, and Yes WVU is state funding. i agree that Morgantown should get some road work done, sure! But don't act like it has nothing because that is a lie.

Corridor H is very important to our state. you wouldn't know that not being a native, but with our state's tourism industry could be second to none on the East Coast. I'm talking about billions of dollars in revenue. This highway is a need.

And are you all really that blind up there in NCWV? We are drilling for gas and growing because of it down here too! They are going to build atleast two craker plants down here that will one unlike anything else in this country. We will get them, and they will make Charleston a major player in energy in the US. Plus the chemical industry which is related to natural gas is booming here too!

Morgatown is one small place when you are comparing it to Southern WV. You think that the whole southern half of the state sould get less than one town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 09:59 PM
 
6,351 posts, read 4,263,136 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
You missed my point. For one, I'm not saying Morgantown shouldn't get funding! Not at all! I'm saying that it gets a heck of alot already, and Yes WVU is state funding. i agree that Morgantown should get some road work done, sure! But don't act like it has nothing because that is a lie.

Corridor H is very important to our state. you wouldn't know that not being a native, but with our state's tourism industry could be second to none on the East Coast. I'm talking about billions of dollars in revenue. This highway is a need.

And are you all really that blind up there in NCWV? We are drilling for gas and growing because of it down here too! They are going to build atleast two craker plants down here that will one unlike anything else in this country. We will get them, and they will make Charleston a major player in energy in the US. Plus the chemical industry which is related to natural gas is booming here too!

Morgatown is one small place when you are comparing it to Southern WV. You think that the whole southern half of the state sould get less than one town?
WVU counts toward nothing when it comes to Morgantown. If you are not a student, or dont work there it is irrelevant. When it comes to funding despite WVU, which is underfunded BTW, Morgantown gets nothing.

Also, you did just argue for Morgantown not getting state funds. Basically you said, "Morgantown has WVU so you deserve nothing else." I am sure this logic doesnt apply to Charleston or Marshall. WVU is not a Morgantown entity. It is a WV entity. WVU represents WV as a whole. If it were located in Charleston people from other parts of WV wouldnt hate it so much but since it is in Morgantown, the hated successful area of WV, it must be bad. I dont get the anti-Morgantown attitude of large areas of the state. It strikes me as pure resentment, "we are doing bad so we hate Morgantown for not being stuck in a hole like us." Dont you see Morgantown's growth benefits the state?

Chris, I am a native. Corridor H wouldnt be a bad idea if Virginia agreed to add to it. As it is it is in the middle of nowhere Virginia, connecting to nowhere WV. Virginia has already made it clear they have no interest in adding on to it, which I feel is a shame, but without Virginia supporting it is going to be an empty road. At some point Pittsburg needs to connect with the expressway because it is the only route to alleviate traffic. Virginia has no reason to cooperate with WV, and doesnt want to see money flow outside the state.

Corridor H, even with Virginia's support wouldnt make a big difference. That area of Virginia is not part of the NE corridor. It is an empty area of Virginia. Also development often destroys the natural habitats you want to save. Basically, WV would destroy its greatest assets for a slight boost in tourism, and a huge increase in costs.

Finally, you seem unaware of the Marseilles shale. Let me show you a map:


http://www.southpointe.net/images/346_Marcellus_regional_map.jpg


Southern WV has gas, but the big concentration is more north. All of WV will see benefits, but you are going to see most development occur in areas richer in the gas.

Also, looking at coal I wouldnt set your expectations too high, anywhere in WV including Morgantown. The wealth flowed out of state, and if you look at these companies they are PA, MD, VA, and other out of state companies.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 01-24-2012 at 10:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 10:55 PM
 
6,922 posts, read 5,438,288 times
Reputation: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
This is so right, that it makes any point against it look bad. For some reason people in Morgantown feel like they are some how elite, but yet don't recieve anything from the state. Well, lets look at one gift that has been the largest source of Mtown development which would be WVU. Now how can you tell people that the state has somehow left NCWV out of the loop, when you all host the largest thing in the state of WV. There is nothing like that in southern WV. Nothing! You all are so upset about not getting a few paving projects, when you all have the largest school in the state. You should stick a sock in your mouths and give it a rest. Is it such an evil thing to make access by building highways for areas that have been isolated from everyone else for so long? Down in the coal fields there is alot of small towns that have been lost on the map because you can't get to them.

Highway projects here in WV have proven to have brought bout tourism and growth to areas in WV. An example being US 19, which has made towns like Oak Hill, Fayatteville, and Summersville grow. Those towns would be like coal field towns, if not for the Mountaineer Expressway. Not only did that road encourage business and residential growth, but now that areas tourism industry is booming. Whitewater rafting, mountain biking, camping, zip lining, tree tops tours, ect... Even part of the highway has become a huge tourism destination. Bridge day is our state's largest festival.

Another example would be Corridor G. Now if you all try to tell me that this road was a waste, and hasn't paid off then I'd take it that you were sick in the head. That whole road has brought economic stability to an area that was left in the dark for over 100 years. The growth that has taken place off of it has been a great example of what can happen when you build highways in Southern WV. Both examples have proven to be HUGE for our state's economy, more so then any road upgrades in little ole Morgantown.

Corridor H (which isn't in Southern WV) is a must need for our state a a whole. Right now, West Virginia's natural beauty and outstanding ski and recreation areas are at best little known and hard to get to. For a place so close to the largest percentage of population in America (Northeast corridor), you would think that this place would be jumping off the walls with tourism growth and visitors. But sadly because it is really hard to get to, it isn't. Corridor H would allow a direct route from DC into WV's main tourist areas. The direct connection could make Eastern WV the main place on this half of the country to camp, hike, bike, ski, boat, ect... Why would we even think twice about this road that would encourage people to visit.

US 35 is a need because it encourages industry. The Kanawha Valley is in an industrail growth period right now. With the natural gas industry in the state booming, I have a feeling that Charleston is going to play a national role in its production into gasoline and other products. Right now we are looking at having atleast two multi-billion dollar facilities that can do so, and put the valley back on the map as being a major industrail hub. US 35 would allow for more development along the river, and would open up Ohio to the Charleston market. This will affect the whole state, and will likely result in the golden era of WV.

As I said earlier I can't speak on the King Coal highways because I don't know enough about them. I do know that if they do build them, that there is a good possibility that the result will be similar to Corridor G, and Us 19. Which would only be positive news for the state. It wouldn't be a waste like people in Morgantown (and only Morgantown) think.

Now if you want to complain about having "bad roads" and "bad traffic", then by all means do it. But note that it just makes you all look uneducated and high on yourself. The truth is that traffic in Mtown is very managable. It makes Cross Lanes, Scott Depot, Teays Valley, Southridge, and Jefferson Road traffic look terrible, because the truth is that these places are much more congested, and all year long unlike Mtown.
Ahh, WVU has been here for 150 years and started then with a handfull of students. It was hardly a great gift at the time. And, the state gets far more from WVU than it invests in it. Morgantown had more to do with the development of WVU than did the State of West Virginia. WVU gives a 40 to 1 return for every state dollar that comes to Morgantown every year. It could give a lot more if the state would get off its duff and do its job with infrastructure development.

About the only real benefit from the corridor system so far is it enables folks from Erie, Pittsburgh, and NCWV to shave 30 miles off a trip to Atlanta and bypass Charleston. Even with that, we have to put up with the incredible speed trap at Summersville. I have not seen any real development anywhere along the corridor system. H will make it easier for West Virginians to get to Elkins, that's about it. Virginia is refusing to participate in the boondoggle. Summersville's great development for the mega investment in roads is a one mile stretch of fast foot restaurants. People would whitewater raft there with or without the corridor, and a lot more would do it if the town weren't the speed trap Capitol of the country.

Please, Teays Valley, Cross Lanes, etc. more congested than Morgantown. Yeah, right. Look at the state highway road traffic use data and come back to us, you will see that you are uneducated on the matter. The nearly 27,000 vehicles that use 705 every day have to crawl through Mileground at a snails pace. Sabraton is at gridlock much of the day. I have never had to wait in traffic in the places you mentioned.

What you are suggesting is the "if they build it they will come" notion. That is far from a certainty. Where would they come from? Charleston? The place is static at best anyway. Ours are coming from Pittsburgh, DC, and other places. The need is already here, we don't have to hope to create anything. The facts speak for themselves. I am not saying anything negative about Charleston here, but there is nowhere near the growth there, and very likely not the potential for growth there, that we are experiencing here. It is much further from any real population centers. Martinsburg has that potential and maybe more, but Charleston, no way. Aside from the bridge you mentioned, that area already has adequate roads and has had them for 35 years. In fact, it has less need for them now than it did then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2012, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Arlington, VA
1,048 posts, read 2,465,048 times
Reputation: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
WVU counts toward nothing when it comes to Morgantown. If you are not a student, or dont work there it is irrelevant. When it comes to funding despite WVU, which is underfunded BTW, Morgantown gets nothing.

Also, you did just argue for Morgantown not getting state funds. Basically you said, "Morgantown has WVU so you deserve nothing else." I am sure this logic doesnt apply to Charleston or Marshall. WVU is not a Morgantown entity. It is a WV entity. WVU represents WV as a whole. If it were located in Charleston people from other parts of WV wouldnt hate it so much but since it is in Morgantown, the hated successful area of WV, it must be bad. I dont get the anti-Morgantown attitude of large areas of the state. It strikes me as pure resentment, "we are doing bad so we hate Morgantown for not being stuck in a hole like us." Dont you see Morgantown's growth benefits the state?

Chris, I am a native. Corridor H wouldnt be a bad idea if Virginia agreed to add to it. As it is it is in the middle of nowhere Virginia, connecting to nowhere WV. Virginia has already made it clear they have no interest in adding on to it, which I feel is a shame, but without Virginia supporting it is going to be an empty road. At some point Pittsburg needs to connect with the expressway because it is the only route to alleviate traffic. Virginia has no reason to cooperate with WV, and doesnt want to see money flow outside the state.

Corridor H, even with Virginia's support wouldnt make a big difference. That area of Virginia is not part of the NE corridor. It is an empty area of Virginia. Also development often destroys the natural habitats you want to save. Basically, WV would destroy its greatest assets for a slight boost in tourism, and a huge increase in costs.

Finally, you seem unaware of the Marseilles shale. Let me show you a map:


http://www.southpointe.net/images/346_Marcellus_regional_map.jpg


Southern WV has gas, but the big concentration is more north. All of WV will see benefits, but you are going to see most development occur in areas richer in the gas.

Also, looking at coal I wouldnt set your expectations too high, anywhere in WV including Morgantown. The wealth flowed out of state, and if you look at these companies they are PA, MD, VA, and other out of state companies.
Funny, I am a WV native as well. Having lived in the DC area for 7 years, I also know how easily accessible parts of WV are thanks to Corridor H. Have you even looked at a map? I-81 from the Strasbug exit to Corridor H in Wardensville is about 15 miles. Not exactly a long hike and it is on a 2 lane road that is predominantly flat sans a few miles right at the WV border. Hell you can be to Moorefield in 2 hours from my condo in Arlington if you don't hit traffic. Not exactly the 'middle of nowhere.' Are you really going to imply that just because the state of Virginia refuses to participate in a while 15 miles of four lane that it is a worthless project? I have driven that stretch numerous times and there are a ton of VA, MD and DC plates heading to some of our states most heavily visited tourist areas. Clearly you guys are missing something or have never even come close to traveling it. My thought is the latter. Should the state have not funded the Mon Fayette because of low ridership in PA? Should it not have aided the feds in the construction of I-68? Once Corridor H is completed to Davis in 2013 it will be a very easy shot from the DC area to the ski areas and numerous state parks in West Virginia. That would seem like a net benefit to a state that has always relied on tourism as a main portion of its economy.

And CT...regarding the 27,000 vehicles per day traveling 705...I would love to know what that figure is excluding traffic counts on WVU game days. It wouldn't be a fraction of that. And regarding other areas that have a potential to match the growth in Morgantown...Martinsburg and surrounding Berkeley County are growing a lot faster. You guys keep saying there is all of this new economic growth in Morgantown outside of WVU but where are the new companies? Even Mylan, the employer everyone talks about in Morgantown is headquartered outside of Pittsburgh. There is nothing wrong with being a thriving town because of a thriving university and that is the story of Morgantown.

Again I hate that this thread has become derailed, but please stop with the whole Morgantown is screwed over by the state line. It's old and nobody except 'townies' in Morgantown have ever bought it.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 01-24-2012 at 11:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top