Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 12:03 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
That hugely expensive bridge was built to solve a traffic problem,one that still plagues the area even after its construction. It's not like they built it with a field of dreams philosophy. The capacity was already being exceeded by a lot and commuters needed the extra bridge. Despite many North Central resident's belief that Charleston is a dying town, they couldn't be more wrong. The rather stagnant population of Charleston over the last 30 years doesn't take into consideration the population boom in the Valley, where many of the Charleston Metro area workers choose to reside. Once you get west of Nitro, it's basically one giant suburb until you reach Barboursville, with constant development and improvement.
I have no doubt that bridge was needed. It's our turn now. We have had glaring needs for more than a decade, and it's the state's responsibility to meet them here too. And, since they seem to have money to throw around, it's about time they start doing it in a smart fashion rather than half @ssed. They recently had traffic tied up on Greenbag road here for 6 months while they constructed a very small bridge that failed to take into consideration the fact that pedestrians and bicyclists use that road too. They basically had three men and a wheelbarrow working on the thing and made life miserable for thousands of us, and when the job was finished you knew right away it wasn't done right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 07:00 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Long over due...great WVU baseball team on a second rate field...it's time for the real thing.

I'm for doing it with private money and having several venues use it...it's time.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Long over due...great WVU baseball team on a second rate field...it's time for the real thing.

I'm for doing it with private money and having several venues use it...it's time.
Actually, I agree. And, if they do it as well as they did in Little Washington, it will be great. If they use electronic means to identiry the place rather than fixed signage, it will easily pass for West Virginia's home field. It could be used for Mountaineer baseball in spring, and a semi pro team in summer. It's a win-win.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:57 AM

6,068 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Actually, I agree. And, if they do it as well as they did in Little Washington, it will be great. If they use electronic means to identiry the place rather than fixed signage, it will easily pass for West Virginia's home field. It could be used for Mountaineer baseball in spring, and a semi pro team in summer. It's a win-win.
Semi pro starts during College season, so it would be hard to schedule games, but it is possible.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:02 AM

163 posts, read 449,759 times
If this is done, can we draw a REAL semi-pro team? The team in Washington PA is good and all, but they are an independent league. I would much rather see a minor league team put in place, much like the WV Power in Charleston, or the teams in Bluefield and Princeton (keeping my fingers crossed for a Low-A Pirates farm team . Nothing wrong with independent leagues, but having a minor league team, tied directly to an MLB team is much more exciting and stable as independent leagues fail every single year.

It would also be good for WVU baseball as they enter the Big 12 next season.

Last edited by Nightman_Cometh; 02-19-2012 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: added more

Old 02-19-2012, 03:50 PM

Well, the guy who owns most of the Pirates also controls the biggest bank in the state and, I believe, the Charleston farm team. He's also a major benefactor for WVU and serves on boards here, owns numerous newspapers, and a prominent ski resort among other things. It would not surprise me at all if he were to promote better minor league teams throughout West Virginia. The guy happens to be from Wheeling. I don't personally know him (I have met his mother), but my brother knows him. He's a good guy.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:06 PM

163 posts, read 449,759 times
My father went to school with him at Linsly. Hes a good guy but hes running some pretty ****ty Pirates teams over the years....

I do know they do that Pirates bus tour each year that goes all around PA, WV, OH and MD, mainly the smaller-medium sized towns and cities.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:40 PM

I went to Linsly too, but he's a lot younger than me so I did not know him.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:10 PM

389 posts, read 796,822 times
This is great news!! Traffic is already horrendous at University Towne Centre. By this time next year, there will be a new Kohl's, Premier car dealership, and HUGE new apartment complex. A new access road into UTC means everyone won't be forced to go up and down that hill every time. Not to mention the notion of a new baseball field! I think a minor league team would be very successful in Morgantown. Other college towns (e.g. State College) have minor league teams as well. I've been to Altoona Curve games and they are a blast. More fun, in some respects, than a major league game, even. Developments like this are huge quality of life improvements for an area.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:14 AM

552 posts, read 738,241 times
I thought baseball was kind of a dying sport...not trying to start anything just what I have always thought. I'm 27 and can only name a handful of people at my age that watch baseball, even less that are younger. Most everyone I know watch football and basketball with the exception of a few of my friends dads. I think it's fine, but nothing I would invest in personally, I'd rather see a hockey team
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown