U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 05:04 PM

6,834 posts, read 5,284,721 times

Advertisements

According to a message from Oliver Luck, Athletic Director at West Virginia University, the school will be making significant improvements to athletic venues to be more competitive in the Big 12 Conference. In addition, moves will be made to fully fund athletic scholarships to the tune of $7 million.

His message said, in part:

"During the next few years, WVU will be addressing four areas that will be the catalyst for our ability to compete successfully in the Big 12 Conference:

- Upgrade our major athletic venues - Milan Puskar Stadium and the WVU Coliseum - to better accommodate our fans and improve our practice and training facilities
- Continue and build on our outstanding academic success by increasing the resources available to our student-athletes
- Meet the rising costs of tuition and housing for our scholarship student-athletes which has already exceeded $7 million"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 10:27 PM

3,660 posts, read 3,199,447 times
Restrooms/Food Stands need an upgrade at the football stadium. It would be really cool to see some expansion aswell, including to the press box. 20k sounds like a good number.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:32 PM

I think what we'll see is an expansion of the concourse area with new, roomier restrooms and better concession facilities as well as more luxary boxes for the big time donors. I doubt they add seating, at least not until it is clear the demand is present. It seems to be a good idea to keep the demand a little higher than the supply for pricing purposes.

I do expect demand to rise with the better competition coming to Morgantown from here on out. Getting Oklahoma, Texas, TCU, Oklahoma State and Kansas State here will be awesome.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:14 PM

604 posts, read 601,571 times
That is why he sent an email to football season ticket holders this week informing them of the upcoming "modest increase" in the "donation per seat" necessary to keep your seats.

Rumor says it is going to $500 from the current $325 per seat.

If this rumor is true, I want him to give me a "modest increase". LOL

Old 03-23-2012, 11:20 PM

The price per seat won't rise all that much... just $30 or so. It was $365 last year, not $325. The donation levels required to post some seats will rise though. There is only one section in Puskar now where donations are not required. That will probably remain the same but the other sections will require higher donation levels.

Season tickets are priced at $395 for the basic tickets for the Mountaineers’ seven-game home schedule, which features matchups with nonconference opponents Marshall and Maryland, as well as new Big 12 Conference foes Baylor, Kansas State, TCU, Oklahoma and Kansas. Tickets in the better seating areas will require a donation in addition to the ticket price.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:33 AM

The donation part was what I was referencing. No amount was listed. That amount rumor was for seats between the 40 yard lines. Only a rumor (as I stated).

Old 03-24-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
The donation part was what I was referencing. No amount was listed. That amount rumor was for seats between the 40 yard lines. Only a rumor (as I stated).
With a base ticket price of $395 I'd be real surprised if one could get a ticket between the 40s for anything like $500 including donations. The ticket price itself is the same for all tickets. The differentiation in where they are is determined by the level of donation. It is more likely you could get a sideline ticket near the endzone for that price. Check your source.

I've had season tickets for many years, and as far as I know even as recently as the past few years it was more than that for the seats you mentioned when required donation level was taken into account.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
In addition, WVU officials carved out four seating sections from the Red Zone to create the Blue Zone, which now carries a $500 per seat minimum donation.

Maybe this is what the rumor was concerning??? I haven't had a chance to talk to my friend but this sounds close to what he was saying if I recall correctly.

Irregardless, people will pay more that before. I just don't see WV taking 1000s to all the Big 12 schools. WV people just cannot afford it week in and week out and that is the bottom line.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:16 PM

There is a misconception about attendees at away games. Not all the West Virginia fans drive from West Virginia. We have alumni spread out all over the country, and many West Virginians live in other areas. Those comprise a major part of those attending. There are lots of West Virginians in Texas. It is possible that attendance might be somewhat sparce in Iowa and Kansas.
WVU usually has between 7.000 and 20,000 fans at away games depending on the venue in the current league. That might drop off some now, but I would expect that we will sell the customary 5,000 tickets from the athletic department at the least.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:03 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,153,377 times
Let's

GO

MOUNTAINEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown