Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 03:29 AM

217 posts, read 879,167 times

Advertisements

I know this sounds like a weird question, but does anyone know if the Morgantown Mall is in the city limits of Morgantown? I'm asking this because I am a census freak and I love studying places where I have connections. (My daughter is attending WVU and I absoutely love to visit Morgantown.)

When I visit Morgantown and see the mall where it is located (off the interstate sort of by itself) I assume it is not any city limit. But when I study the Economic Census of Morgantown, the mall appears to be included with Morgantown's, not the balance of the county, stats.

I also noticed another shopping center (Glenmark) that doesn't seem to be in any city boundaries as well. I know in Florida, they annex every shopping/retail center they can into a municipality for more revenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 06:42 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
The Morgantown Mall is not in Morgantown city limits. It is actually closer to Westover but some claim that it is not in Westover city limits either. So who knows what the deal is with who claims the revenue. Here's a map of Morgantown city limits and how odd they are. Even some parts of WVU (the med center campus) are not fully in Morgantown city limits. Weird huh? Hope this helps.
http://www.morgantown.com/maps/wards.pdf

Old 10-01-2007, 07:06 AM

34 posts, read 124,996 times
Default I am from Morgantown,WV

The Morgantown Mall is in the city limits of Westover. Glenmark is in Morgantown city limits and Towne Center is in Granville city limits. I hope this helps. My daughter also goes to WVU.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:56 PM

938 posts, read 2,898,059 times
Uhhh....Health Sciences is definitely within the city limits....

Old 10-01-2007, 05:37 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
Uhhh....Health Sciences is definitely within the city limits....
You're right. Looking at the map at first I thought only part of it was. My mistake. Looking at it closer though, Health sciences is within city limits but NIOSH isn't and everything on the other side of Don Nehlen drive (oppposite the stadium) isn't. Check out the video linked below on youtube. It addresses some of this and shows a good close up around the 4:30 marker. Video is a couple of years old and has a few things that are inaccurate but brings an interesting angle to the growth. Also shows how the majority of the new construction in Morgantown is apartments and condos geared toward students and how this is only going to make traffic worse. Also, based on the map above, the Glenmark center is just out of city limits and according to a Wikipedia article, the Morgantown mall isn't in Westover city limits. That's the best info I could find on the subject.

YouTube - Mega Morgantown, part 2 of 3
Morgantown Mall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-01-2007, 10:42 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
I'm not a big fan of the Morgantown mall... They have a decent selection of stores for a city the size of Morgantown. But all the stores besides the anchors are really tiny. I need some space. I think it should be remodeled and expanded to give more room, possibly a second floor. Not sure if thats financially feasable,but just an idea.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:48 PM

938 posts, read 2,898,059 times
Thanks for the link to that documentary. That Wonderlin dude they interviewed actually lectured in my Pharmacology class a few years back. Odd that he's into trying to get rational county planning, too.

Interesting that the documentary was made, sometimes I feel like the only person that notices how retarded the city planners in town are. That Augusta apartment complex thing downtown is one of the most idiotic ideas I've ever seen. Hundreds of apartments and dozens of parking spots. Brilliant!!! Don't even get me started on West Run Rd....

Old 10-01-2007, 10:58 PM

217 posts, read 879,167 times
Thank you for the responses!

Old 10-31-2007, 02:21 AM

531 posts, read 1,744,017 times
I like Meadowbrook Mall better--larger stores,especially the Elder-Beerman store(Better selection,I've found.) Morgantown does have a lot of shopping though, and two great bookstores--The Barnes and Noble and Books A Million.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,767 times
are there senior living arrangements affiliated with UWV in Morgantown? My wife and I are looking for a program that has the benefits of a senior housing in a university setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown