Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 09:21 PM

6 posts, read 6,908 times

Advertisements

Well, Morgantown indeed might be too much. All my experience is in offshore work. I'm prior Coast Guard. I don't think I can bring anything to West Virginia. I really want to snowboard. Where's the snowboarding in West Virginia?

I will change my attitude. But I've got to leave here first. As long as I'm here, I'm going to stay upset at my situation but once I'm out, I'm pretty sure I'll mellow out some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 06:31 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,289 times
Not sure if Morgantown is for you. We have black people, white people and any other background... and this city celebrates multiculturalism and diversity. I think you're looking for a small town somewhere else in Appalachia.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:42 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapefromSwaziland View Post
Well, Morgantown indeed might be too much. All my experience is in offshore work. I'm prior Coast Guard. I don't think I can bring anything to West Virginia. I really want to snowboard. Where's the snowboarding in West Virginia?

I will change my attitude. But I've got to leave here first. As long as I'm here, I'm going to stay upset at my situation but once I'm out, I'm pretty sure I'll mellow out some.
Morgantown is near some places where you can snowboard, but nothing is right there. Also Morgantown is the most diverse, open minded, and progressive city in WV. There is a college town mentality in our small city. I would recommend Charleston or Huntington if you want a bigger town near snowboarding that would fit your mentality. Smaller towns would even be better. Perhaps Deepcreek MD or Lewisburg if you could find a job. Aryan Nations is in Southern WV perhaps they would hire you to do something.

Just avoid Morgantown at all cost.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:31 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,052 times
Cry havoc, you keeping trying to suggest that Charleston and Huntington aren't tolerant of multicultural backgrounds. I've worked in an industry in both of these cities that has a lot of different ethnicities and a high amount of transplants that have moved here for work and I don't believe those people feel the way you do about the area. So instead of trying to be a spokesman for an area that you are unfamiliar and yet still biased against, maybe you should make more educated discussion in the future instead of sounding like all of your posts are filled with hate.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:38 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,949,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Morgantown is near some places where you can snowboard, but nothing is right there. Also Morgantown is the most diverse, open minded, and progressive city in WV. There is a college town mentality in our small city. I would recommend Charleston or Huntington if you want a bigger town near snowboarding that would fit your mentality. Smaller towns would even be better. Perhaps Deepcreek MD or Lewisburg if you could find a job. Aryan Nations is in Southern WV perhaps they would hire you to do something.

So you think he should avoid Morgantown because of his prejudice and you then show your erroneous prejudice toward the entire rest of the state. Nice. Remind me, where does the white supremacist live who ran for a county BOE spot (garnering a lot of votes) and also ran for governor last year? I thought you claimed to be honest about such issues?

Old 12-27-2012, 03:39 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,949,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Cry havoc, you keeping trying to suggest that Charleston and Huntington aren't tolerant of multicultural backgrounds. I've worked in an industry in both of these cities that has a lot of different ethnicities and a high amount of transplants that have moved here for work and I don't believe those people feel the way you do about the area. So instead of trying to be a spokesman for an area that you are unfamiliar and yet still biased against, maybe you should make more educated discussion in the future instead of sounding like all of your posts are filled with hate.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:06 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapefromSwaziland View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm leaving Louisiana in the broad daylight and headed to Morgantown. The main reason I'm leaving is because I live in a 90% black city and I'm white. It's my hometown and I just do not fit in here and I'm attracted to the mountains and the simple life that West Virginians seems to exhibit. What I'd "like" to do is become a surface miner. The qualifications for that require that I be a resident of West Virginia for at least one year. I'm looking to live somewhere near WVU. Does Morgantown have city buses or anything other than the Rapid Transit System, or is that about it?

Thanks,

Craig
What would you think about being black and living in the many (majority) of US cities where the population is 90% white? Would you move to Harlem? the Watts? Just wondering?

Old 12-30-2012, 06:17 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post

Why don't you tone that down? There is no need to criticize anybody else. The original poster is expressing some frustration with adapting to some cultural differences, which might well be normal in some conditions, but his choice of words leaves much to be desired. That does not mean he is a bigot, or even a racist. A person with a ghetto background who suddenly finds himself in the middle of a suburban middle class neighborhood could also experience some frustration.

And, this has absolutely nothing to do with Charleston or Huntington. Please don't use this board to criticize those cities, or anybody's city. We have plenty of positive attributes for our town without resorting to posting negatives about somebody else's. They have been showing us the same respect.

We have essentially model race relations in Morgantown, and I am certain that, were the poster to locate here, he would likely be able to find work and also have no problems getting alone with folks from any of the several races of people who live in this growing the thriving university city. I have absolutely no sense that he is looking for problems.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:14 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,052 times
Awesome post CT!

Old 01-01-2013, 05:01 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
I have not suggested anything like that. I am just saying based off what he is saying CHarleston or Huntington seem like a much better fit for him.

A lot of ethnicities is relative. Someone from a small town with no minorities might consider them diverse, but anyone who has been to a cosmopolitian area would not.

There is nothing wrong with Charleston or Huntington. I am merely recommending them based off poster's preferences. They are better fits for him than Morgantown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown