Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 05:04 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
So you think he should avoid Morgantown because of his prejudice and you then show your erroneous prejudice toward the entire rest of the state. Nice. Remind me, where does the white supremacist live who ran for a county BOE spot (garnering a lot of votes) and also ran for governor last year? I thought you claimed to be honest about such issues?
I never said that. Huntington and Charleston are just better for what he expressed. I love the whole state of WV equally, although the rest of the state does not share this love when it comes to NCWV and Morgantown.

I dont know what you are talking about about some racist governor. This is an issue I am unfamilar with. I am not changing my recommendation for Huntington and Charleston based off the location of one politician. It seems rather irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Why don't you tone that down? There is no need to criticize anybody else. The original poster is expressing some frustration with adapting to some cultural differences, which might well be normal in some conditions, but his choice of words leaves much to be desired. That does not mean he is a bigot, or even a racist. A person with a ghetto background who suddenly finds himself in the middle of a suburban middle class neighborhood could also experience some frustration.

And, this has absolutely nothing to do with Charleston or Huntington. Please don't use this board to criticize those cities, or anybody's city. We have plenty of positive attributes for our town without resorting to posting negatives about somebody else's. They have been showing us the same respect.

We have essentially model race relations in Morgantown, and I am certain that, were the poster to locate here, he would likely be able to find work and also have no problems getting alone with folks from any of the several races of people who live in this growing the thriving university city. I have absolutely no sense that he is looking for problems.
I am not criticizing anyone here. I am being honest. I look for what a poster wants and make a recommendation off their preferences. Given what EscapeFromSwaziland has said I feel that CHarleston and Huntington are much better for him than Morgantown. I gladly recommend these places when I feel a poster would prefer them.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:42 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
If he were interested in locating in one of those cities, I'm sure he would be posting on one of those forums.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
If he were interested in locating in one of those cities, I'm sure he would be posting on one of those forums.
He asked if Morgantown was a good fit for him and it isnt. He came looking for advice and I always give honest advice. He might enjoy Morgantown but Southern WV would be better for him.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:45 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
This would actually be a valuable forum if it weren't for people spewing negative crap. We have Charleston native RNC trolling here doing that all the time, reinforced when possible by Pharm2007, then we have you shoving crap at Charleston and Huntington whenever you can. None of it is helpful to anybody. Then aeros comes along and says it is okay to do that as long as the target is Morgantown. Looks like we're headed right back to the negative environment of the past.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times
I know CT, it seems like the gentlemens agreement has been breached, so I'm going to join the masses until things settle back down again. You may see me take sides with the southern wv posse and say some things to raise a few hairs of the northern counterparts. But keep in mind it's all in good fun!

Old 01-04-2013, 08:21 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times
Quote:
This would actually be a valuable forum if it weren't for people spewing negative crap. We have Charleston native RNC trolling here doing that all the time, reinforced when possible by Pharm2007, then we have you shoving crap at Charleston and Huntington whenever you can. None of it is helpful to anybody. Then aeros comes along and says it is okay to do that as long as the target is Morgantown. Looks like we're headed right back to the negative environment of the past.
I think it best if we try to ignore most of the negativity by not responding to it with multiple posts. I have been trying that myself and it makes this forum much more fun and productive. If you don't agree with something someone said, post a snippet stating your view or send the original poster a private message further stating your case. The back and forth bickering only draws more attention to the poor post and often, the original posters seem to not come back to the question because of it. In the end, WV loses because it turns people away from looking here.

So glad most of us are on the same page with this now. It only took 4 years and sub-forums to get there.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:21 AM

939 posts, read 1,893,168 times
I think this guy is looking for 1937 Nazi Germany. The best he's going to find is in the far north upper mid-west, or extreme New England. Unfortunately for him, there isn't much work for a neanderthal like him in many of those places. I would suggest Wyoming. Big mining culture, and basically 100% whites. He better convert to Mormon though, because he'll be the minority otherwise.

I echo others on this thread, stay the hell out of WV, we have enough backwards types.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:54 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
I would suggest Wyoming. Big mining culture, and basically 100% whites. He better convert to Mormon though, because he'll be the minority otherwise.
That last part is absurd. Wyoming is 88% non-Mormon.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:50 AM

774 posts, read 1,857,502 times
Wow. Valuable thread.
I'm black and I used to drive truck through West Virginia. I was always edgy due to how the media portrays WV. It's really nice to read posters talk about the diversity issue in this way.

I hate to say it, but I strongly disagree with CTMountaineer who feels that anyone discussing a different view or insight about WV is being negative. The greatest value this forum offers to people who view the world the way I do, is the many perspectives about a place that different people offer. I don't want to read, "all positive" and then get to a place and feel like I've just arrived in Hell warmed over.

(Besides, if you attack a person for stating his or her truth... how "positive" is that??)

I want to congratulate all of you though on your candidness.
I'm currently living in Southeast Asia where there are tons of expats who've escaped the U.S. and Europe. But it's all a trade-off. There's no real "Rule of Law" here. I can buy a home in America and feel pretty safe that as long as I make my payments on time, some official can't decide he likes it and takes it from me.

When I return in a few months, I will continue my search for my little acreage in either Virginia or the northern part of North Carolina. West Virginia is a beautiful state and I just took a peek into this section to see if I could possibly live there. If this thread is any indication of the consciousness of the population, then West Virginia is a fine state and well represented. Again, my compliments.

I don't feel one way or another about the original poster's views. MOST of the U.S. is suffering from the effects ... the "Karma" of years, decades of American citizens being seduced out of our humanity and voting or acting against the other guy. It's the way the Normans conquered and controlled early England. That, "Divide and Conquer" mentality has been addictively through the generations.

They say 85% of Americans are traumatized and over time, untreated trauma turns into Personality Disorders. That's the main reasons why we drink so much, use so many drugs (regardless of the demographics), and have so many social and sexual problems.

I hope the original poster finds happiness some place ... but travel has shown me that if I'm not happy in one place, it's going to be a struggle to be happy in another. It's all a matter of the heart and that determines the mental state. Go and try to find happiness.

But WHY.. WHY ... did you move back after your Coast Guard service was up??
I'm a retired veteran and 100% Disabled. The Coast Guard is the "whitest" branch of the military we have. It's a FINE branch of service and much respected... it just doesn't seem to attract as much diversity as the Marines nor the Army. Don't make it bad or different--just is.

So WHY would you move BACK to a place you call, "Swaziland" if you hated it since growing up?? I'm SURE there's some ... a*+**h*!*s in New Orleans. Given the history of neglect and oppression, I'm SURE there's ignorance galore. (Um... we won't even mention the rest of your fine state... my father was from there and well... we'll just move on...)

Even though New Orleans is FAR from being all black... in your section it may be. But there are also some very fine, extremely educated, very friendly people there of all skin tones there. New Orleans is surrounded by colleges and universities. Even though it's apparent that you have managed to live a lifetime without connecting with any of them.... will that differ when you get to West Virginia?

All that's down here is human beings and beneath the skin... dude... we're all genetically from "Swaziland." ((LOL)) So I hope you fine happiness and avoid dealing with the Veterans Administration wherever you go. They're just going to put a mirror in front of your face and ask you, "What's your part in the problem?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown