Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2017, 11:08 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

Like most cities, Morgantown has other municipalities located outside city limits but nearby to the primary city. In Morgantown's case, one of those municipalities is Westover.

Westover has always sought a certain autonomy in relation to Morgantown. I remember when I was in school in Morgantown in the early 1960s, state government, largely influenced at the time by Bible Belt politicians, mandated that beer taps be shut off at midnight in bars across the state. This resulted in an interesting development in Westover. Cities were free to determine the time of day in their city limits, so Westover always set their time to be one hour earlier than it was across the bridge in Morgantown in order to capture the late night party crowd for their local bars. Midnight came an hour later in Westover, so the beer taps kept flowing an hour longer.

There was big money involved for 2 reasons. First of all, the money from selling beer. In order to keep their beer licenses, the beer was actually stopped at midnight in accordance with the state code. Liquor and wine, on the other hand, were illegal to sell in establishments in West Virginia in any case. Social norms were quite different between the northern and southern parts of the state in those days, and the northern folks saw no sense in adhering to the restrictive "liquor by the drink" laws imposed by a southern tier dominated legislature. The result was that, from Sutton north, police and Justices of the Peace simply refused to enforce them. A bar owner would get in trouble for selling beer after midnight, or selling beer to somebody under the age of 18, but the sale of liquor and wine was unregulated in northern West Virginia in bars and restaurants. People who had been drinking beer in a Westover bar, could remain there and switch to hard liquor, staying for several hours longer.

Westover, in some ways, has always marched to it's own drummer.

City on the Rise - Morgantown Magazine - April-May 2017 - Morgantown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 01:20 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
Interesting read CT. I didn't make it to Morgantown as much during last football season and have a question- the article mentioned the Gateway being annexed by Westover, is that the land west of I-79 (if going northbound)? Or are they annexing land around the ballpark on the east side as well?

Old 04-29-2017, 01:35 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Interesting read CT. I didn't make it to Morgantown as much during last football season and have a question- the article mentioned the Gateway being annexed by Westover, is that the land west of I-79 (if going northbound)? Or are they annexing land around the ballpark on the east side as well?
It's on the west side of the Star City Exit (last exit before Pa).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown