Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 06:05 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,035,127 times

Advertisements

The city installed traffic counters on several intersections and monitored traffic 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, for comparisons from year to year. Average traffic count has increased dramatically during the past year alone due to development in the area.

Article - Study: Road traffic on rise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 07:27 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,301 times
Remember how we talked about the need for a connector from Cheat Lake area around the north side of Morgantown and reconnecting with I79? Do you think that would alleviate some of the main artery congestion in the city if there were 3 or four exits staged properly off that connector route? I've been thinking about it and I feel that would be a good start. It would move traffic flow in all directions in and out if the city, instead of the bottlenecks they have now. I'm sure that idea isn't perfect, but it could work. Any other ideas? Lets brainstorm and see what we can come up with!

Old 08-18-2013, 08:15 AM

671 posts, read 1,056,884 times
It'd be great to have a mini beltway like that - to determine its usefulness I'd like to see where most of the workday congestion is coming from. The question to me is where are most of the folks coming from I79 near Star City originating their commute? PA or Fairmont area or elsewhere?

Old 08-18-2013, 08:17 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,583 times
And where it connects to I-79 becomes the point where I-68 continues west to Hundred and Moundsville.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:27 AM

491 posts, read 609,749 times
Wish the West Run Expressway got built before all the development happened out there. Will 705 finally becoming 4 lanes from Mon Boulevard to Rt 119, it will help with the congestion.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:31 AM

491 posts, read 609,749 times
A big oops with the state/city/county , in my opinion, was not making Beechurst 4-5 lanes when the opportunity was there. A north-south corridor would've been perfect. Perhaps they could just remove the turn lane like over on Mon Blvd so at least one lane of traffic can continue to flow. Then fix where University becomes 2 lanes and we would have a pretty good connector to I-79 from downtown.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:12 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,870,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Remember how we talked about the need for a connector from Cheat Lake area around the north side of Morgantown and reconnecting with I79? Do you think that would alleviate some of the main artery congestion in the city if there were 3 or four exits staged properly off that connector route? I've been thinking about it and I feel that would be a good start. It would move traffic flow in all directions in and out if the city, instead of the bottlenecks they have now. I'm sure that idea isn't perfect, but it could work. Any other ideas? Lets brainstorm and see what we can come up with!
How about the state fulfills its obligations and improves the inadequate highways they are responsible for?

Old 08-19-2013, 10:41 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,035,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
Wish the West Run Expressway got built before all the development happened out there. Will 705 finally becoming 4 lanes from Mon Boulevard to Rt 119, it will help with the congestion.
Current thinking is the state will try to short change us on funding. Mileground will be expanded down to Point Marion Road, but Beechurst will likely stay 3 lanes with improvements to Van Voorhis and West Run being made 3 lanes. Those would be improvements, but far short of what is actually needed.

I don't think Silk's notion of a beltway will take place any time soon. The state is too busy p*ssing money down the drain on roads to nowhere to actually take on a realistic approach. We've gained enough political clout to force them to take some action, but it will take the next census to really get the ball rolling on improvements needed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown