Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 08:03 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Cry - not jealous at all - I have been out of WV for over 30 years. But I travel to WV several times per year and sorry to say, the Metro Valley is still the heart of WV despite WVU's, and Senator's Byrd's pork barrel contributions, to NC WV.
RVA, again your mindset is still stuck 30 years ago. Byrd is no longer around he died years ago. Like I said your attitude is reactionary and the situation changed 20 years ago. I realize change can be upsetting. Trust me it is for the better. You might never be able to see it because you can only see the past and not the present or the future, but if you have grandkids, or even kids, they should be able to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 08:12 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
RVA, again your mindset is still stuck 30 years ago. Byrd is no longer around he died years ago. Like I said your attitude is reactionary and the situation changed 20 years ago. I realize change can be upsetting. Trust me it is for the better. You might never be able to see it because you can only see the past and not the present or the future, but if you have grandkids, or even kids, they should be able to.
I see the present. I was in Motown just last year, as well as Charleston/Huntington. Sorry, but Motown still looks like the old Morganhole that I have always known. yeah - unemployment is low - it was back in the 70sw as well - so what?

Old 09-06-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I see the present. I was in Motown just last year, as well as Charleston/Huntington. Sorry, but Motown still looks like the old Morganhole that I have always known. yeah - unemployment is low - it was back in the 70sw as well - so what?
No you see the past. You could see Mt. Everest and you could see a small anthill, lets say 1 foot, and somehow think the anthill is taller than Mt. Everest. In fact at one point hundreds of millions of years ago perhaps Mt. Everest was less than a foot.

Your incorrect perceptions are irrelevant.

However, it is nice to know that unemployment was low back then too. It just goes to show that Morgantown's strong economy has been going on for decades and has consistently been good, although now it is the best. While your current views are incorrect and dated you do have insight into Morgantown in the past.

Thank you for sharing.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:22 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Yes, I am a Charleston native, but jealous of Motown/Fairmont/Clarksburg? Not hardly. Charleston/Huntington is THE Metro area of WV. Sure, there are areas where the economy is good, and I include Morgantown in that equation.... Morgantown has ALWAYS had a relatively good economy - - as a sole result of being the site of the major West Virginia institute of higher learning - WVU. But for one to conclude that North Central WV is some major mecca in the WV and/or National economy, is a joke.
I just know you'll understand if I spend maybe a couple minutes LOLing. Don't you think it is telling that you are here trying to crap up our reputation rather than over on your hometown's forum hyping the benefits of it? You seldom find any of us over there because, frankly, we don't care about Charleston. It is relatively inconsequential to us. Oh, we hear about it from time to time but for the most part it goes in one ear and out the other. It takes almost an hour to get from Charleston to Huntington, mostly through semi rural wasteland. I will admit that Teay's Valley provides a brief respite. Go one hour from Morgantown and you will have far more people involved, and they will be more educated and prosperous people. But if it makes you feel better to believe that area is THE Metro (whatever that means) area of WV when most of the state could care less about it, have at it.

I don't really believe folks from that part of the state are "jealous" of us. They are irrationally frightened that our success somehow threatens them.. Listen, in spite of what you might have grown up believing, Charleston has NEVER been the center of the Universe to most West Virginians. It is far from being big enough, prosperous enough, or culturally intrusive enough to exert any real influence. Especially when much of the state is actually located near major cities.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:30 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
I find it interesting that you are somehow now combining Charleston and Huntington. That is especially peculiar since everyone knows those two cities despise each other, have little in common, and are basically remote to each other. There is not enough developed between them to say they are joined. 50,000 people in Putnam just does not do the trick. They are spread out over 500 square miles. You live in Winston Salem, so you know what a concentration of population really involves. There are more people just in Puskar stadium on a game day than there are in a direct line between Charleston and Huntington. More people than live in either of those two towns, located nearly an hour apart, too.

If you were actually in our city last year, you must not have taken the time to drive around and look at the amazing amount of development taking place here. You seem to still cling to the notion that using a derogatory name for us will change the dynamics. It does something besides that, but I will show you some respect and now mention what it does. This is a forum, after all, and we are supposed to be respectful of each other and the towns from which we hail. I respect you. I also respect Charleston and appreciate the struggles the people there are having just maintaining the status quo. They need all the help you can give them. Cutting on us will not help them in the slightest.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I just know you'll understand if I spend maybe a couple minutes LOLing. Don't you think it is telling that you are here trying to crap up our reputation rather than over on your hometown's forum hyping the benefits of it? You seldom find any of us over there because, frankly, we don't care about Charleston. It is relatively inconsequential to us. Oh, we hear about it from time to time but for the most part it goes in one ear and out the other. It takes almost an hour to get from Charleston to Huntington, mostly through semi rural wasteland. I will admit that Teay's Valley provides a brief respite. Go one hour from Morgantown and you will have far more people involved, and they will be more educated and prosperous people. But if it makes you feel better to believe that area is THE Metro (whatever that means) area of WV when most of the state could care less about it, have at it.

I don't really believe folks from that part of the state are "jealous" of us. They are irrationally frightened that our success somehow threatens them.. Listen, in spite of what you might have grown up believing, Charleston has NEVER been the center of the Universe to most West Virginians. It is far from being big enough, prosperous enough, or culturally intrusive enough to exert any real influence. Especially when much of the state is actually located near major cities.

Trust me, no one with ties to Southern WV or particularly Charleston/Huntington is jealous of NC WV or Morgantown.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Trust me, no one with ties to Southern WV or particularly Charleston/Huntington is jealous of NC WV or Morgantown.
Apparently they are as we can see.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Apparently they are as we can see.
Its obvious to every person not from WV who travels this state and sees the cities, etc. They all know Charleston (Huntington) are the only metro areas of the state. Those from VA, NC, OH who travel WV all comments on how Charleston seems to be the only large/metro area of the state. I assure them that they are correct.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Its obvious to every person not from WV who travels this state and sees the cities, etc. They all know Charleston (Huntington) are the only metro areas of the state. Those from VA, NC, OH who travel WV all comments on how Charleston seems to be the only large/metro area of the state. I assure them that they are correct.
If it is so obvious you can have a source for that claim. Please show that MOST people who travel through the state think that.

Also your post is a logical fallacy. People might think Pittsburgh is bigger than Boston than Dallas after visiting both places. Your argument is a made up assumption you have about peoples perceptions, which is irrelevant to the actual facts.

Your assumptions are irrelevant.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:30 PM

[quote=cry_havoc;31306490]If it is so obvious you can have a source for that claim. Please show that MOST people who travel through the state think that.

Also your post is a logical fallacy. People might think Pittsburgh is bigger than Boston than Dallas after visiting both places. Your argument is a made up assumption you have about peoples perceptions, which is irrelevant to the actual facts.

Your assumptions are irrelevant.[/Q

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown