Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2007, 06:51 PM

4 posts, read 23,810 times

Advertisements

I got an estimate today at $500/sq foot for a driveway to be laid. This includes removal, grating and repavingthe driveway. I won't get into the details since every project is different.

My question is, who does everyone here recommend for asphalt and doing this type of work? I have no references, and simply went off of the nicest ad in the phone book. Anyone here have any personal experiences with companies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 07:40 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times
Most honest! Rob Yost in Bridgeport...works a crew in Morgantown everyday...good local family...moved to Bridgeport about 10 yrs ago...304-842-6600.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:29 PM

What company does he run?

I tried calling, but his voice mail doesn't list a company?

Old 11-28-2007, 02:11 PM

Its called Rob Yost Paving & Excavating... The other good paving contrator is C.W. Stickley...but they have everyone over in Grant County doing Corridor 'H'

Old 11-28-2007, 05:23 PM

I hired Harry's Paving, they seem to be great about communication, service, etc. thus far. Nearly next day service.

We'll see tomorrow how pretty it is

Old 11-28-2007, 05:46 PM

ALWAYS get two or three previous customers...A very high estimate from a legitimate contrator usually means he's on overload and backed up with work...If you take the price he really makes out. That's the market in Morgantown.
If a guy is super cheap...I'd be suspicious as to just what will be done...

1. rough and finish grade, roll and place poly or fiberglass fabric.
2. base stone of 3 to 5" rolled with a roller.
3. finish stone of 'crush and run' also called # 57 rolled with a roller.
4. base course of 2" base coat of asphalt (stone size is 3/4") rolled
5. wearing course of 2" finish coat of asphalt (stone size is 1/2") rolled.

That's the way a good job would be done, would hold up for about 20 yrs. minimal servicing with sealer.

Last edited by David Kennedy; 11-28-2007 at 05:57 PM..

Old 09-12-2010, 10:09 PM

UPDATE ON THIS PROJECT (3 years later):

Harrys Paving (Morgantown, WV Paving Contractor) no longer gets my "great word" on this project. They didn't put down any of the necessary gravel base that David Kennedy mentions above when installing my driveway. Three years later, my driveway looks like a wavy mess. No matter where I park, it's sinking in these areas, slowly, but is no longer flat.

They assured me over and over at the time this didn't need to be done. The driveway is now sinking no matter where I park and they REFUSE to remove and reinstall correctly. They insist on recapping it (which was done once and it still looks horrible).

They installed the pavement on clay with no gravel at all (I have pictures to prove this). They said "I (me) didn't pay for this" when referencing the correct base that should have been installed. This is a cop out response, as I was never told that this was an option to have a base, or even told one was needed. I was assured the opposite, many times. I expected a professional result and I wasn't given it. Whether I paid for it or not shouldn't have been a question as to how a job should have been done correctly. In the end, a professional job wasn't completed because I didn't tell him how to do his job. Yes, very unprofessional, very unnerving to have to deal with a contractor like this.

A quick buck and me being a new, uneducated and trusting homeowner of a professionals opinion, has resulted in a huge headache for me. Use at your own risk. My attempts of rectifying the situation, have resulted in a less than professional response .

Last edited by stickercut; 09-12-2010 at 10:25 PM..

Old 09-15-2010, 06:06 AM

Folks, it's like this...want a cheap price, then buy cheap work.

The contractor knows he will never see you again so he can 'hose you at his will.

Cheap work hardly ever holds up for any long duration.

Three years later, you are paying the original 'high price to have the driveway done 'right.

What will it really cost?

New work cost added to the cost of the 'hack job...

btw...
the cheapest driveway is a concrete job...in the long run and the short...just get a good mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown