Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 07:27 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,227,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
No offense to your neighbor, but he might be mixing some plans and rumors on a couple of points. The possible bridge across the Mon is in the earliest of planning stages. There will be a public meeting Thursday, December 3 to go over the progress to date. They've hired a consulting firm which just finished the existing conditions models and from there will study specific corridor alternatives for a new I-79 access (the original three were one at the Coliseum, one at the end of Collins Ferry with an extended West Run, or one at 8th Street going to Westover). The preferred alternative is the one at the Coliseum, but they've only just begun actually studying the different alternatives. Once all that's done, you still have to finish the design, engineering, environmental, and, of course, funding stages of the project. It's a massive undertaking.

The other one is the football stadium. Now, I'll concede that I don't regularly look at public records or land acquisitions, but as of this past tax year, WVU owned no land in the TIF district aside from the outpatient hospital parcel (the county owns the ballpark, though the University may technically own the land under it, or vice versa). The new agreement with Mylan Park for the track facility and natatorium, fyi, will be owned by Mylan Park. The rumor about a new stadium has been floated around since UTC started, but as of yet, there has been no evidence to back it up. In fact, pumping $50-75 million in the existing stadium would be irresponsible, though I suppose if the new one would be built in 15-20 years it wouldn't be as bad. Still, I haven't seen anything indicating WVU now owns land over there.

As for the shops/hotels, your guess is as good as mine.
Like I said, this is what he said, not saying he is correct but I figured I should mention it and I figured most would take it with a grain of salt since its at best 2nd to 3rd hand information. However when he mentioned the bridge he said that it just showed a bridge, nothing more. As for the stadium, it makes since to fix your current stadium and pump it up to last like 15 years more, can you imagine how bad the stadium would be if they did nothing to it for 15 years until they build a new one, got to spend money to make money. But like I said, this is what my neighbor who works for the construction company said, I figured I would share it and see if anyone else had heard anything similar. I am in no way saying he is correct (even though I bet he is at least partially correct) and again it is at best 2nd hand information, the things he mentioned to me also could be in just the planning at this point, who knows.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:38 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Like I said, this is what he said, not saying he is correct but I figured I should mention it and I figured most would take it with a grain of salt since its at best 2nd to 3rd hand information. However when he mentioned the bridge he said that it just showed a bridge, nothing more. As for the stadium, it makes since to fix your current stadium and pump it up to last like 15 years more, can you imagine how bad the stadium would be if they did nothing to it for 15 years until they build a new one, got to spend money to make money. But like I said, this is what my neighbor who works for the construction company said, I figured I would share it and see if anyone else had heard anything similar. I am in no way saying he is correct (even though I bet he is at least partially correct) and again it is at best 2nd hand information, the things he mentioned to me also could be in just the planning at this point, who knows.
Sorry if I came across a little rough, I do appreciate any and all information! I was just trying to clarify from my end what details I know. Thanks!

Old 11-23-2015, 07:53 AM

120 posts, read 151,511 times
Count me in as having heard about the new football stadium being built out that way as well. This info came from people who work at Ruby and a local contractor. With the way Ruby keeps expanding and the lack of room for additional football facilities (which will be required to keep pace with other Big 12 schools), it only makes sense to move it to an area with much more space and to keep near the interstate for easy access.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Sorry if I came across a little rough, I do appreciate any and all information! I was just trying to clarify from my end what details I know. Thanks!
No you are fine, I understand the internet is not the best to express stuff sometimes since you can't see the inflections. Thanks for your info too, it seems like everyone has pieces that are slowly making the picture clearer.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:00 AM

354 posts, read 505,695 times
In my opinion, moving the stadium out of town and inaccessible by PRT would be disastrous. A few down years and an out-of-state student contingent with better things to do would make WVU football an afterthought. I wouldn't blame them either.

The only people a UTC stadium would benefit is landowners and builders.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantide83 View Post
Count me in as having heard about the new football stadium being built out that way as well. This info came from people who work at Ruby and a local contractor. With the way Ruby keeps expanding and the lack of room for additional football facilities (which will be required to keep pace with other Big 12 schools), it only makes sense to move it to an area with much more space and to keep near the interstate for easy access.
Did the person at Ruby mention or hint at a new separate building (either cancer center or childrens hospital) and 2 parking garages where the stadium is now? That is the one rumor I heard about that location.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
In my opinion, moving the stadium out of town and inaccessible by PRT would be disastrous. A few down years and an out-of-state student contingent with better things to do would make WVU football and afterthought. I wouldn't blame them either.

If they move it, I hope they take the opportunity to expand the PRT out to it and use the parking lot at the stadium and the new PRT stop as a park and ride so people do not have to drive down town for class.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Did the person at Ruby mention or hint at a new separate building (either cancer center or childrens hospital) and 2 parking garages where the stadium is now? That is the one rumor I heard about that location.
No, they didn't say specifically what would go there, just that one of the major reasons for moving the stadium would be to allow Ruby to expand.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
In my opinion, moving the stadium out of town and inaccessible by PRT would be disastrous. A few down years and an out-of-state student contingent with better things to do would make WVU football an afterthought. I wouldn't blame them either.

A few down years and most fans (including non-students) would consider WVU football an afterthought. Students are already pretty bad at attending the games and staying the whole time to begin with so they certainly shouldn't be that big of a factor in deciding where the stadium should go. Actually, a reduction in the number of tickets allotted to students should be considered.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:43 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,289 times
Quote:
If they move it, I hope they take the opportunity to expand the PRT out to it and use the parking lot at the stadium and the new PRT stop as a park and ride so people do not have to drive down town for class.
Truthfully, the new bridge design by the coliseum should include accommodations for the PRT. That would would be the only way you'll ever see the PRT expand from its current footprint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown