Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 08:20 PM

72 posts, read 333,174 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the feedback! I saw Uniontown on the map. Does it have the usual suburban stores like Target/Walmart, Home Depot, CVS, Applebee's, Giant Eagle?

I would prefer to live up near Washington as we eventually want to move back to Pittsburgh, but when I did a map search from an address in Canonsburg, it said the drive would be over an hour for my husband's work. So I figured it would be too long of a haul for him. I get to work out of my home, but I have very close relatives in Pgh, which is why I wanted to be close to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 01:09 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,311,913 times
Home Depot is located at Washington, but Uniontown has a Lowes...Morgantown has two or three Lowes stores. Food shopping would be better in Morgantown..Kroger, Shop & Save, Giant Eagle and others. Cannonsburg is so old...the future of the region is Morgantown/Uniontown. Equity investment will not lag in this area either.
The recreation is so close with Nemacholin and Lake View to golf and Wisp to ski. Water at Cheat Lake for the boat.
Washington is doing very well with the local economy and has a nice shopping area...but Uniontown is the sleeper for locations.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:13 PM

74 posts, read 369,779 times
I'm still pushing for Washington. Cannonsburg is actually north of Washington, and thus further from Morgantown. I think you'd be happier in Washington as opposed to Uniontown. I'm sorry to say, but Uniontown doesn't offer much.

If your husband is already communting to Morgantown to work, the last thing I'm sure you want to do is drive back down there for all of your shopping and entertainment needs-- it wouldn't be worth it. To me, living in Washington would be the best solution. Yes, it is a bit further from Morgantown from a work stand point, but from a leisure and recreation stand point, it is in a perfect location becasue it has everything you need. There is plenty of shopping and dining and recreation in Washington and it is only 40 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh and your family.

I've been to Uniontown and Washington on several occasions and I know people that live in both places. I know that if I was in your situation and had to choose, hands down it would be Washington. But, that's just my opinion!

Best of luck!

DK: By the way, Morgantown only has 2 Lowe's-- one in Westover and one in the Cheat Lake area

Old 12-02-2007, 12:41 AM

531 posts, read 1,743,806 times
I have some relatives in the Uniontown area. Not that much to do there, but there is a mall, a Target, Wal-mart,K mart and Lowes,as well as several restaurants.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:50 AM

13 posts, read 55,232 times
I live up in Weirton, Wv. now. I was born in Waynesburg, PA. I lived in Morgantown for 5 years or so. Waynesburg is a nice little town of about 4000 people or so. Although unless you drink or Bowl, you will be bored out of your mind. I was actually born there. Despite what others say, Uniontown actually has a very high crime rate/drug problem as of recent years. I worked in Uniontown for about a year. STAY out of Uniontown/ Connellsville, PA. It is no longer a good place to raise a small child. I would go with Washington, Waynesburg, or perhaps my hometown of Carmichaels, PA. Carmichaels is about a 35 minute/25 mile commute to Morgantown via Pa 21/ I 79 or via PA 88/US 119. During winter, stick with I-79. US 119 from Uniontown to Morgantown is very windy and often treachorous during snow. Carmichaels has grocery shopping, small town atmosphere, basic mom and pop businesses, etc. It would put you right in between Uniontown, Waynesburg, Washington, anfd Morgantown. That way you have lots of Target/ Wal-mart/ Mall type shopping options. Plus via PA 88/ PA toll 43, you'd only be about 45 minutes to 1 hour away from all that Pittsburgh has to offer.

With Regards,

Dave Grayson

Old 02-05-2008, 07:16 PM

191 posts, read 809,596 times
South Strabane or Peters Twp. in Washington County are nice. Watch out for living over longwall mining in Greene and Washington Counties, PA. That causes some heartburn from cracked houses and sunken roads. Don't forget you could live somewhere along PA Route 43 - the Mon -Fay Expressway (toll road). The section from Uniontown to Brownsville is being worked on, I think, and the last few miles to I-68 will be done in a year or so. This will give a straight shot from Century III mall to Morgantown, so you could live somewhere along it. Though many of the places along it don't really suit your taste (old mill towns and coal patches). But if you lived in Finleyville your husband could get on 43 and go to work in Morgantown and you could get on the Trolley at Library and go to Pgh.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:21 AM

72 posts, read 333,174 times
Default thanks!

Hi all,
Thanks for your input everyone. My husband ended up working in the North Hills (I know, the complete opposite direction from Morgantown!) and we are in Venetia. We were expecting him to be in the South Hills which is why we ended up so far south, so now he still has a long commute but at least we are just renting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown