Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 04:03 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times

Advertisements

The new, state of the art $25 million facility will not have one cent of state funds involved with its construction. Like the vast majority of development in Morgantown, state government will not be a contributing factor.

Article - WVU building to cost $25M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 09:14 PM

27 posts, read 36,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The new, state of the art $25 million facility will not have one cent of state funds involved with its construction. Like the vast majority of development in Morgantown, state government will not be a contributing factor.

Article - WVU building to cost $25M
If you think not receiving state funding for glamour projects like this is uncommon these days, then you haven't gotten out much.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCities View Post
If you think not receiving state funding for glamour projects like this is uncommon these days, then you haven't gotten out much.
You're probably right... I don't get out much, but we have hundreds of millions of dollars of construction going on here on the various campuses, and there is no state funding involved with any of it. I feel compelled to point that out because the glamor project of another institution in our state has had a ton of state money thrown at it.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:52 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
You know, it's funny how you keep taking pot shots that are obviously aimed at Marshall in your posts that have nothing to do with Marshall. Sad, really.

Let's revisit your view when Marshall built over $100 million in new construction without a dime of state money. You criticized Marshall, calling it a rent-a-scheme that would result in the need for long term bail outs. I said at the time, more schools are doing public-private partnerships and it's the way things are heading. I also predicted you would give Marshall a rough time but once a WVU does it, it'll be the best thing since...wine and cheese. I guess my crystal ball is a little more accurate than you like to think.

Last edited by tbailey1138; 02-21-2014 at 05:08 AM..

Old 02-21-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
You know, it's funny how you keep taking pot shots that are obviously aimed at Marshall in your posts that have nothing to do with Marshall. Sad, really.

Let's revisit your view when Marshall built over $100 million in new construction without a dime of state money. You criticized Marshall, calling it a rent-a-scheme that would result in the need for long term bail outs. I said at the time, more schools are doing public-private partnerships and it's the way things are heading. I also predicted you would give Marshall a rough time but once a WVU does it, it'll be the best thing since...wine and cheese. I guess my crystal ball is a little more accurate than you like to think.
Tim... you're mentioning Marshall... not me. But since you brought it up, yes, Marshall received an outright $25 million gift in funding from the state for their redundant engineering building project, at the same time higher education institutions in our state were being asked to absorb a 7.5% reduction in funding appropriations from the state, and when every family with a college student in our state was being asked to pay higher tuition due to the loss of state appropriations. I have no idea why you would want to make this personal (I was making a concerted effort to refer to the facts as it affected WVU without doing that). I was merely referring to facts, but I appreciate your candor in bringing the recipient of that generosity on the part of state government out in the open. As you are pointing out... the facts warrant mentioning.

If West Virginia had received the same $25 million handout from state government that Marshall received, they could have built this campus connector building without having to involve private funding sources or incurring any indebtedness to those private sources. I think you will agree that makes a significant difference. $25 million is a lot of money.

In this case, the public part of the partnership you mentioned is totally missing since there are no public funds involved. Marshall was the recipient of millions upon millions of dollars in public funds from without the higher education system, while WVU is using private funding only. There is a huge difference there too.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 02-21-2014 at 03:18 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 06:35 PM

250 posts, read 331,647 times
I'm not trying to threadjack here but why is there so much hate for Marshall? I'm from Chicago and went to school at Purdue so I do understand state rivalries (IU vs. Purdue) but it seems to me that, geographically, Marshall makes sense. There isn't much around those parts for a university and it does give the state two larger-scale universities. All of the bickering you do CT, about Marshall, seems petty. WVU doesn't seem to really care much what Marshall does as no one here really talks about them. WVU has grown exponentially since President Clements took over (So sad that we lost him) regardless of what Marshall has done or not done. I think most everyone in the state recognizes WVU as the flagship university. I'm not being an *****hole, I just don't quite understand.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:04 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
Nice post murph3000 with some very good points. Almost everyone else on here sees it that way. Almost. I don't understand the viewpoint of the poster who doesn't see it that way either so don't feel bad.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph3000 View Post
I'm not trying to threadjack here but why is there so much hate for Marshall? I'm from Chicago and went to school at Purdue so I do understand state rivalries (IU vs. Purdue) but it seems to me that, geographically, Marshall makes sense. There isn't much around those parts for a university and it does give the state two larger-scale universities. All of the bickering you do CT, about Marshall, seems petty. WVU doesn't seem to really care much what Marshall does as no one here really talks about them. WVU has grown exponentially since President Clements took over (So sad that we lost him) regardless of what Marshall has done or not done. I think most everyone in the state recognizes WVU as the flagship university. I'm not being an *****hole, I just don't quite understand.
I don't see anyone hating Marshall here. I certainly don't hate Marshall. I resent the fact that we have to do everything on our own here while Marshall gets handouts, but that has nothing to do with the fact that we are seeing the campus connector built with no state funding (the topic of this thread) while a school that wasn't mentioned specifically by name builds things largely on the dole (a side note in this thread). Someone else mentioned Marshall. And, now you are mentioning them. $25 million is not petty, especially during a year when every institution in the state took a hit for 7.5% in state appropriations and tuition was raised everywhere. I hope that helps you understand the issue.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Nice post murph3000 with some very good points. Almost everyone else on here sees it that way. Almost. I don't understand the viewpoint of the poster who doesn't see it that way either so don't feel bad.
I'm not at all certain folks on the Morgantown forum see things that way, but I'm happy to be able to clear up Murph's misconceptions. I also wouldn't mind it if you were to start a thread defending the doles to Marshall while no other school in the state is getting them, but that is not the topic of this thread. This thread, on the Morgantown board, is about the campus connector and the fact that it is being built without a handout from state government while another school gets a major handout.

This new facility will provide a valuable resource for our Evansdale and Medical Center campuses. I'm pretty certain you would agree that it is great news for our state that WVU is a strong enough institution to accomplish this without putting a drain on educational financial resources in West Virginia. Our state's premier, flagship institution continues to show how to lead the way in a positive manner.

A side note to Murph... this is not about any rivalry. I have a degree from IU, and I do understand the rivalry that exists between Purdue and IU. We do not have a comparable situation here. WVU is our state's only national level university and thus is in a category of its own here. We also have only one public regional institution, and that would be Marshall. That would be more comparable to say Ball State or Indiana State, literally. I'm pointing that out to be descriptive, not as a criticism of Marshall. Regional schools fill a vital role too.

For a comprehensive, national university WVU gets relatively little funding from our state government, so it is hugely important that they be able to undertake major projects like this connector and not at the same time put a drain on the state's limited educational funding resources.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 02-21-2014 at 10:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
View detailed profiles of: