U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 04:05 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,464,116 times

Advertisements

Morgantown is bustling again from end to end, as our student population jumped from the usual 10,000 summer school attendees to nearly 30,000 and the freshmen come in for their orientation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0qh...ature=youtu.be

President Gee welcomes students back with GeeMail. This guy is truly a unique character, and one reason he wins so many friends is his amazing attention to detail and the fact that he readily interacts with everyone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO9MpW8-hrg

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 08-25-2014 at 04:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 07:47 PM

158 posts, read 187,460 times
How about WVU starts limiting the number of people they accept so that they can be a bit more selective?

Old 08-25-2014, 09:26 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,464,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowKing View Post
How about WVU starts limiting the number of people they accept so that they can be a bit more selective?
They are pretty selective now... just getting more qualified applicants. The advanced math and four years of the same language requirements are the most stringent in our state, and the SAT scores of entering students is at an all time high. But the requirements aren't likely to change all that much until Gordon Gee's target enrollment of around 42,000 is attained.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:36 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,795,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
They are pretty selective now... just getting more qualified applicants. The advanced math and four years of the same language requirements are the most stringent in our state, and the SAT scores of entering students is at an all time high. But the requirements aren't likely to change all that much until Gordon Gee's target enrollment of around 42,000 is attained.
Three things:

1) I wouldn't call WVU all that selective. They were second in the state with an 85.1% acceptance rate (Marshall - 79.8%, WVSU (highest) - 89.7%, A-B (lowest) - 40.6%; LINK)
I can't speak to the academic profiles of the applicants, though I do know that the average GPA and test scores have increased over the past 5 years (I don't know how many; it was in some press release last year).

2) The University's mission as a land grant institution and offering accessible higher education to the state will most likely prevent a substantial decrease in that number, unless branch campuses are utilized more effectively. Many larger universities use branch campuses to take the lower-profile students to bump up the profiles of the main campuses, or can rely on other. Another factor is graduate studies. Increasing graduate research allows for more money to flow into the University while allowing a more selective area of enrollment. For example, universities like Nebraska (Lincoln), Tennessee (Knoxville), Ohio State, Kentucky, and have acceptance rates around 65%, while Penn State (University Park) has one of 54% and Maryland (College Park) has 47%.

3) I don't know how I feel about the increased enrollment. He said the ideal enrollment, system-wide, would be 40,000 (LINK). There's no time frame associated with that and he stressed growing sustainably, so I trust his knowledge. But that's a 7,000-8,000 increase. That's a lot of students. To increase the academic profile of the main campus, much of that growth has to come from graduate students, while funneling increased lower-profile (I hate saying that, mind you, but that's the easiest way to put it) undergraduate enrollment to Potomac State and Tech. Re-affiliating with WVU-P would increase enrollment by about 4,000 as well.

With the way higher education is evolving, it'll be interesting to see what the University looks like in the next decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or