Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 05:25 PM

286 posts, read 348,119 times

Advertisements

This was in the daily athenaeum is this an April fools? They said gee wants to have more students then Ohio State which has 60,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 09:53 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,419,973 times
Yes, the DA always runs an April Fool's edition.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:27 AM

491 posts, read 609,870 times
Gee set 40,000 as the goal to reach. We can expect another 3,000-5,000 more students in Morgantown in addition to those in the newly purchased WVU-Beckley.

However, the idea of a bridge isn't too far fetched. I think the 20 year plan for the city/county recommends another bridge or two to allow for better access along the river and help relieve the traffic at Westover and Star City bridges.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:02 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
Gee set 40,000 as the goal to reach. We can expect another 3,000-5,000 more students in Morgantown in addition to those in the newly purchased WVU-Beckley.

However, the idea of a bridge isn't too far fetched. I think the 20 year plan for the city/county recommends another bridge or two to allow for better access along the river and help relieve the traffic at Westover and Star City bridges.
I heard that 42,000 was the targeted number, but that figure was to include students in online degree programs. I believe your figures of an additional 3-5 thousand students in Morgantown are correct, with that increase to be comprised of additional graduate students. I've been told plans also call for somewhat decreasing the number of undergraduates admitted to the Morgantown campus as part of the revamping, with greater use of the 2+2 system for marginal students who will need to successfully complete the first 2 years in a satellite campus or other college before being eligible to study at Morgantown. It is a system long successfully applied at Penn State and Pitt, and it will raise the academic profile of the Morgantown campus for the rating systems.

WVU in Morgantown, like other national universities, does not offer remedial programs and marginal students often have a hard time getting through those first couple of years of core work. This program will put those students in the proper settings to actually improve their chances to succeed. Everybody wins.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:55 AM

191 posts, read 306,176 times
Who are we kidding? The idea of a second bridge across the river to Westover has been bandied since before I was born in 1979. Its never going to happen. Just like the PRT route is never going to be extended.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:47 PM

We don't know that at all. It would obviously be awhile in the making, but with the growth taking place in our area such a bridge and PRT expansion is logical in the long run.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:14 PM

191 posts, read 306,176 times
Better chance of me hitting the Powerball than seeing that in my lifetime. So pardon if I choose to temper the possibility with a healthy dose of reality ha.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:59 PM

Local officials have realized that we can get state government off their butts to do anything, so they're starting to act on their own. I've talked with several who realize it will be decades before we can get them away from their insane pork policies down there. Our area is industrious and prosperous in spite of them, and they will bring it about themselves if they have to do that.

Everyone who has stepped foot in our area knows the potential to be realized. When other areas are thrilled to be getting a Krispy Kreme or whatever, our area is hitting home run after home run. And, while other areas rely on political pork from a state that can't even afford to fix their roads, our roads are still a mess, thanks to them, but our local governments are financially solvent and making progress. I believe you're going to see more cooperation between The University and local governments for improvements in the coming years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown