U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2015, 04:26 PM

24 posts, read 19,126 times

Advertisements

Trying to settle a debate.

In WV can you live in one county and pay to attend a public school in another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 05:33 PM

19 posts, read 18,765 times
I had a friend who lived in a town called Goldtown in Jackson county but went to school at Sissonville High in Kanawha county. His brother and sister attended school in Jackson county, so I believe it is possible, at least ~7 years ago.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:18 PM

9,404 posts, read 11,466,883 times
That is possible as long as the county receiving the student agrees. I believe that sometimes payment is not necessary if there is a student in the receiving county that wants to attend school in the sending county and there is a tradeoff so to speak.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:42 PM

245 posts, read 252,565 times
You can definitely live in one county and attend school in another county. It does require approval from the superintendent though. I wonder if it's possible for out of state children to be enrolled in West Virginia schools. I know someone with a 4 year old that works in Morgantownand lives just over the border in Pennsulvania who would rather their child go to Kindergarden in Morgantown in 2016. I'm assuming an out of state enrollment like that would require tuition, if it's possible.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji2086 View Post
You can definitely live in one county and attend school in another county. It does require approval from the superintendent though. I wonder if it's possible for out of state children to be enrolled in West Virginia schools. I know someone with a 4 year old that works in Morgantownand lives just over the border in Pennsulvania who would rather their child go to Kindergarden in Morgantown in 2016. I'm assuming an out of state enrollment like that would require tuition, if it's possible.
Most money for school systems comes from county property taxes, although due to the very poor counties in the southern tier there is a state subsidy system in effect and I believe that is enrollment based. I know it has been done, but I don't know the mechanics of it. Inter county enrollments would be easier than inter state enrollments, I would think. The best thing to do would be to contact the local school board and ask for their policy on the matter.

Interesting situations take place when properties straddle political lines. When I lived in Connecticut, our house was 35 feet from the NY state line which was in the middle of the road on the street where we lived. 2 doors down, the line passed through the house and the property was in two different counties in two different states. It would have been easy for the owner to declare residence in either jurisdiction, but the determining factor is, amazingly, where you sleep. Those people had the headboard of their bed positioned on the NY side of the line because they liked the schools better in the NY county, and because the income taxes were less expensive in New York, but their backyard picnics took place in Connecticut. It was basically an honor system, and as far as I know nobody ever inspected to see where they actually slept, but they adhered to the letter of the law and did it right. They paid property taxes in both counties, and actually had two different addresses... one for each town.

I remember several years ago when there was a major problem with a school building in Marshall County near Cameron, those children attended school in nearby Greene County, PA for a time but I don't know how that took place. It could be that the Greene County folks were just being charitable due to the circumstances.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 06-08-2015 at 05:46 PM..

Old 06-09-2015, 08:33 AM

820 posts, read 1,191,789 times
This happens on a daily basis. There is even planned cooperative schools. A new elementary allows for both Gilmer and Lewis County students to attend the same school.

Chapmanville Regional High School has students from the former Harts High School in Lincoln because it is so much closer to Chapmanville than Hamlin.

Out of state should require tuition at the rate of the past year's per pupil expenditure as determined by the WV Department of Education figures. Some people circumvent this by using a relative's address or even renting an apartment if they find something cheaper that tuition.

In some counties, they require approval from the BOE to attend if a non-resident of the county. Some allow administrators to make the decisions.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
This happens on a daily basis. There is even planned cooperative schools. A new elementary allows for both Gilmer and Lewis County students to attend the same school.

Chapmanville Regional High School has students from the former Harts High School in Lincoln because it is so much closer to Chapmanville than Hamlin.

Out of state should require tuition at the rate of the past year's per pupil expenditure as determined by the WV Department of Education figures. Some people circumvent this by using a relative's address or even renting an apartment if they find something cheaper that tuition.

In some counties, they require approval from the BOE to attend if a non-resident of the county. Some allow administrators to make the decisions.
I don't see too many BoE approvals unless there is some sort of tradeoff. Generosity to out of county folks is not their business. Cooperative agreements are a very different thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or