Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2016, 04:32 PM

273 posts, read 382,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripBro View Post
Thank you all for your replys and information. As I feared, there seems to be no reason for the quality changes. Based on the maps fuji2086 linked here, the road I had in mind when I made the thread is a county route. So it is smooth and then they seemed to just choose a point at which to stop caring about the road. This road generally gets plowed the day after a snowfall, usually not the day of.

They repave different segments of the roads around this road, but not others. The only reason I can think of is that they determine what gets paved based on traffic per day or something like that. I'm of the opinion that paved roads will see more traffic, so it is a self-fulfilling prophecy on their part. But whatever...
What road are you thinking of?

And it's like that on al of the state's roads. They're paved in segments using a number of criteria. Some of the criteria may be traffic counts, the quality of the existing pavement/roadbed, whether he road is a key road for emergencies, etc. Sometimes, I wonder if roads that are on the paving list but don't get paved that year are treated as if they are. You'd think they'd get to them the following year if they were missed, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 07:06 PM

891 posts, read 1,053,890 times
never thought of it before but now that I do, in other states you will often see "End of County (or State) Maintenance" signs. obviously cities are only gonna maintain whats in their limits, which is another reason I wish Morgantown would at least annex the unincorporated areas. Its ridiculous to me, for example, that the Mileground is technically not in city limits....smh....Consolidation could accelerate Morgantown's growth even faster.....

Old 10-26-2016, 07:40 PM

273 posts, read 382,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
never thought of it before but now that I do, in other states you will often see "End of County (or State) Maintenance" signs. obviously cities are only gonna maintain whats in their limits, which is another reason I wish Morgantown would at least annex the unincorporated areas. Its ridiculous to me, for example, that the Mileground is technically not in city limits....smh....Consolidation could accelerate Morgantown's growth even faster.....
I would also concur with making Morgantown'a borders a little more regular. Here's a map if you'd like: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...2&source=embed

Old 10-26-2016, 08:50 PM

891 posts, read 1,053,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji2086 View Post
I would also concur with making Morgantown'a borders a little more regular. Here's a map if you'd like: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...2&source=embed
I do like, thank you....tried to add rep but gotta spread it around.....

Old 10-27-2016, 07:02 AM

108 posts, read 120,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji2086 View Post
What road are you thinking of?

And it's like that on al of the state's roads. They're paved in segments using a number of criteria. Some of the criteria may be traffic counts, the quality of the existing pavement/roadbed, whether he road is a key road for emergencies, etc. Sometimes, I wonder if roads that are on the paving list but don't get paved that year are treated as if they are. You'd think they'd get to them the following year if they were missed, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Hey Fuji,

I don't want to say because the road is only a shortcut that serves a few thousand in the county. I kinda want this account to be anonymous.

I will provide a comparable example though. Old cheat road, the road behind glenmark/pierpont center, can sometimes be used as a shortcut. The whole road is a county route, so owned by the state. When first entering this road from the planet fitness side, it is smooth, but then as you proceed past the canyon road intersection it just gets worse and worse.

I agree, I'm sure they willfully ignore some maintenance. The road im thinking of was patched in 2012, but it hasn't been repaved since the GB administration. I think the residents of the road sometimes patch big potholes themselves.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:48 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,972 times
Maybe because no politician lives beyond the stopping point???

Old 11-02-2016, 06:43 PM

108 posts, read 120,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
Maybe because no politician lives beyond the stopping point???
I always figured this had something to do with the total road conditions around here. You'll notice all taxpayer funded "public" buildings have great parking lots and roads leading to them. Repaved every 3 years or so. When they announced the first round of roads to be paved with the new $3 tax scam, I looked up every one, and used only one of the roads semi-regularly.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:40 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,393 times
This project was originally planned to be done next summer but the state has informed the county that this project and the expansion of the mileground (both slated to start next year) have had all funding removed and put indefinitely on hold. In total the state has indefinitely put on hold 5 road projects in Mon county that were supposed to start next year so the state can pay for that new road to the hobbet mine site and supposedly to pay for the flood damage that happened to the roads down there this summer. Once again Mon county and NCWV receive the short end of the stick.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:23 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
This project was originally planned to be done next summer but the state has informed the county that this project and the expansion of the mileground (both slated to start next year) have had all funding removed and put indefinitely on hold. In total the state has indefinitely put on hold 5 road projects in Mon county that were supposed to start next year so the state can pay for that new road to the hobbet mine site and supposedly to pay for the flood damage that happened to the roads down there this summer. Once again Mon county and NCWV receive the short end of the stick.
Write your local reps and senators. They won't complain without being poked by their constituents.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:28 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,228,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
Write your local reps and senators. They won't complain without being poked by their constituents.
I have trust me, and I have also talked to one of our state senators who supposedly represents this area, his reaction was I don't care. The guy is a POS and hates this area, why he was elected here in the first place is mind boggling, he always votes to help the southern half but does NOTHING for this area (I don't mind helping the southern tier of the state, but he needs to put our needs first, not dead last), when pushed what he has done for this area, he said he got the bridges inspected. Think about that, his big improvement to our area that he touted was getting freaking bridges inspected, something that should be done on a regular basis to keep everyone safe. The guy is a snake and only cares about helping the area his family mainly lives in, which is the southern tier, he really dislikes WVU and our area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown