Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 06:57 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,838 times

Advertisements

I'm driving to Pittsburgh (from North Georgia) next Weds (2/10). I'll be staying with my best friend for almost two weeks, so I need to stop at a Kroger for some things I couldn't find at Giant Eagle last time I was there.

What is the most convenient Kroger to I-79 in the Morgantown area?

Thanks for you help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 10:58 PM

891 posts, read 1,053,890 times
The Closest Kroger to I-79 is the one on Patteson Dr.......Take Star City Exit (Exit 155) Go right, past the Star City Bridge over the Mon River, when you get to the Stoplights at the Coliseum turn left (Patteson Dr.) and then Kroger will be on the right just past Chick Fil-A and Burger King.....its like 2 or 3 miles off 79

Old 02-03-2016, 11:20 PM

870 posts, read 1,569,687 times
Although not really a part of the Morgantown area, there is one off Exit 119 in Clarksburg which is about 40 miles from the Patteson Drive location. The Clarksburg Eastpointe Kroger is closer to I-79. Since you're going northward, it would be to the right off the exit and then another right onto Emily Drive. Kroger sits on the left. It's a busy intersection as most of Clarksburg's retail is in that strip mall. The one in Morgantown is in a busy area too and the traffic is worse there.

Kroger used to have a presence in southwestern PA and the Pittsburgh area. But Giant Eagle pretty much destroyed any competition.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:33 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,483 times
There's a Giant Eagle off Exit 155 (Star City) at the University Town Center. If you get off the exit and turn right, you will see the entrance to the shopping area on your right. Turn there and go up the hill past the restaurants, Barnes and Noble, etc. until you get to the top of the hill. Giant Eagle will be on the right.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:59 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
There's a Giant Eagle off Exit 155 (Star City) at the University Town Center. If you get off the exit and turn right, you will see the entrance to the shopping area on your right. Turn there and go up the hill past the restaurants, Barnes and Noble, etc. until you get to the top of the hill. Giant Eagle will be on the right.
To add to this, you stated that you're attempting to avoid Giant Eagle, but the store that elewis points out is an enhanced store and likely has a selection that is competitive with the best of whatever Kroger has to offer. However, if you must shop Kroger during weekday business or early evening hours, I'd go to the store in/near Brdigeport/Clarksburg to save on time sitting in red lights.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:59 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,483 times
Haha I totally misread that. I thought you couldn't find a Giant Eagle, instead of the reality that you couldn't find some stuff there. My bad.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
To add to this, you stated that you're attempting to avoid Giant Eagle, but the store that elewis points out is an enhanced store and likely has a selection that is competitive with the best of whatever Kroger has to offer. However, if you must shop Kroger during weekday business or early evening hours, I'd go to the store in/near Brdigeport/Clarksburg to save on time sitting in red lights.
There are just some Kroger Private Label foods that I like. They are also the only major chain that sells the organic cerial that I'm addicted to!

Old 02-04-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
Kroger used to have a presence in southwestern PA and the Pittsburgh area. But Giant Eagle pretty much destroyed any competition.
Kroger pulled out of several markets in the early/mid-80s including Western PA and Northeastern OH (Akron/Cleveland). They've done the same in some other small-mid-size markets (St. Louis, Chattanooga) in the early 90s. Now those markets would be very profitable, but they're dominated by other chains.

Atlanta, where I've lived all my life, was always hardcore Kroger territory. A successful, employee-owned Florida chain called Publix venture outside of Florida for the first time in 1991 and started opening stores in Georgia. In 2010, they officially took the number one spot in Atlanta market share and they continue to hold that spot.

My best friend, who lives in Pittsburgh, has found a Giant Eagle that he really likes. When he was transferred from Atlanta six months ago, he was freaking out that there was no Kroger (and obviously no Publix) in Pittsburgh.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:26 PM

891 posts, read 1,053,890 times
Under normal circumstances I would love Giant Eagle, it really is a good chain of stores.....but I cant stand being inundated with all the black and yellow Stealers stuff......I can handle the Blue and yellow Mountaineers stuff round town, but the Stealers can kiss my derriere!

Old 02-06-2016, 05:03 AM

191 posts, read 306,362 times
I just recently moved to Beaver County PA west of Pittsburgh Airport and I cant stand my shopping options. Giant Eagle is SOOO overpriced. Walmart is so overly chaotic. Shop n Save so overly just sucks. Aldi it is as much as possible.

KROGERS FOR LIFE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown