Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 05:08 AM

191 posts, read 306,206 times

Advertisements

So the word seems to be that it may be no longer very soon either to sale or just shutting down. Anyone else hear any info on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 01:10 PM

632 posts, read 831,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MischiefWV View Post
So the word seems to be that it may be no longer very soon either to sale or just shutting down. Anyone else hear any info on this?
Knew they were in bad shape when they started letting 18 year olds in a couple years ago

Old 02-06-2016, 02:15 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,350,819 times
It'd be nice if somebody would reinvent that building into something a bit more mature...they have space in there, but talk about a crap fest. Spot on comment about letting 18 year olds in...hopefully it doesn't shut down or go away, as it was doing an alright job of keeping a lot of idiots over that way and away from other places downtown.

I know nothing, but I would guess that it'd go under new management or just do a name/brand switch like so many other bars/clubs go through. It's common and probably needed. They could easily shut down and do a renovation over summer and be open for Fall with a new name or theme.

Now if somebody could also help Rock Top and the space below it figure out what in the world it wants to be and what it's trying to do...talk about a waste of space and what are otherwise nice facilities.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:36 PM

334 posts, read 495,695 times
There are some rumblings around the university that Bent Willeys was bought out last fall by WVU and is set to be torn down this summer so a parking garage (Run by the University) can be built in its place. Once complete it may be temporary parking for folks who regularly park at Mountainlair which apparently has plans taking place regarding massive renovations to the Lair in a year or two.

Ive had many memories at Bent Willeys and even the Vintage Room downstairs. Ever it made it 18+ it went downhill quickly.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:14 PM

255 posts, read 391,068 times
https://wvubids.finance.wvu.edu/pdf_...ty%20Study.pdf

Not a lot of detail but very interesting. Student Union RFP

Old 02-07-2016, 07:22 AM

I wouldn't rule it out...but that building is pretty far from being anywhere near the Mountain Lair. I can't buy the WVU buyout rumor at all. Look at everything in between the two locations; it just doesn't make sense.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:27 PM

334 posts, read 495,695 times
Perhaps not. But parking is always at a premium here. Think of the many short term lots/garages WVU/Morgantown have built the past 10 years. Think of all the parking revenue WVU lost on a daily basis at the Coliseum where the students/employees park for free. WVU is trying diligently to tone down the party school image and feel that Bent Willeys was a threat so they likely bought them out.

WVU is extremely tight lipped regarding important matters due to constant fluidity. But we'll certainly know more in the coming months.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:43 PM

671 posts, read 1,057,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
I wouldn't rule it out...but that building is pretty far from being anywhere near the Mountain Lair. I can't buy the WVU buyout rumor at all. Look at everything in between the two locations; it just doesn't make sense.
Not sure how much I believe it myself, but it's not crazy to say that they want to own property on that block. They already own everything that fronts University, including the former Mountain People's Co-op building -- and the Co-op vacated the site because the University did not wish to continue leasing to them or any business at that site.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
Not sure how much I believe it myself, but it's not crazy to say that they want to own property on that block. They already own everything that fronts University, including the former Mountain People's Co-op building -- and the Co-op vacated the site because the University did not wish to continue leasing to them or any business at that site.
Exactly...it makes no sense at all to me, but it's an odd opportunity to manipulate what else goes into that spot and cut down on a big party location at the same time. Should be very interesting to see what happens indeed.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:00 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,803 times
Would be interesting if they leveled the whole area and built a big parking garage with store fronts on the bottom like they did just on the other side of the campus. Also the university as of a year or two ago, owns that tiny parking lot right next to Bents. I have to imagine the university has big plans for all that land there, especially since Evansdale construction is coming to an end here in the next year or so. I hope they start on the falling run road and univ avenue project very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown