Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2016, 10:48 AM

5 posts, read 8,471 times

Advertisements

Relocating to Morgantown for my husband's job in late June/early July. Originally from WV, lived in Ga and Ia for past 5 years but missed our families tremendously (plus there really is no place like WV, lol). Anyway, I was shocked by the home prices. We decided to rent for a year in Cheat Lake while we looked for a house but are now considering building. Anyone have ideas on average construction costs and the usual timeframe from start to finish? Talking a farmhouse style home not a huge lake mansion, lol. Of course we will be investigating this when we get there but just trying to see if a new construction home is even possible in a year (the average here in IC is 150 days from foundation to move in) and not completely out of reach with construction costs. We are open to any place within 20/30 mins of Ruby, can be a neighborhood or acreage, though we would like a good sized yard (we have kiddos). I haven't been to Morgantown since the early 2000's and I hear it has changed dramatically. Any advice to pass on regarding living in Cheat Lake is welcome too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 07:48 AM

75 posts, read 91,172 times
You haven't been to Morgantown since the early 2000's? Get ready to be stunned.

For new construction, you're probably looking at a PSF cost of anywhere between $100 - $130 depending on your finishes (including lot). Price would be lower if you go bare bones with base finishes.

6 months is a realistic time frame depending on your builder. Production builders in the area (Dan Ryan & Heartland) can definitely deliver in 6 months.

There are plenty of new construction homes available in the Cheat Lake area, but they're going to run you $250K+. Don't know if that is in your budget. Cheat Lake is the second most desirable neighborhood outside of Suncrest.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:29 PM

632 posts, read 832,260 times
Agreed with Motown. If you haven't been back since the early 2000s, you will not recognize the city.

I can't answer your question about getting a house built in a year but I can tell you there is an extreme shortage in contractors. To the point where getting things built around the city is running way behind schedule because there aren't enough contractors to do all the work that's planned. (I can probably name 50+ major construction projects around town in the last 5 years)

Cheat Lake in particular has one of the highest per capita incomes in the state and building out there will be more expensive than Morgantown. You seem like you're fairly flexible with what you're looking for which is good because it is definitely a seller's market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown