Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2017, 08:27 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,356 times

Advertisements

The Dominion Post - MUB breaks ground on plant

"Officials broke ground on the Morgantown Utility Board (MUB) Star City Wastewater Treatment Plant upgrade Feb. 2."

"The $101.3 million project, which required a sewer rate increase, will increase the plant’s treating capacity from 12 million gallons a day to 20.8 million gallons. It currently treats 11 million gallons daily and serves about two thirds of Monongalia County’s population."

MUB is still waiting on final approval from the government to start digging the new reservoir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 05:58 PM

193 posts, read 281,751 times
New reservoir? Where are they going to locate a new reservoir and what stream will it be coming from? The current reservoir at white park is quite small.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:49 PM

255 posts, read 390,980 times
Looks like Cobun Creek

Cobun Creek Dam No. 2 Construction / Cobun Creek Dam No. 1 Improvements | Morgantown Utility Board

Old 02-06-2017, 09:37 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,022 times
Default Idea: Morgantown and Topgolf

This isn't news, but an idea I'd like to share...

Recently, I was in Colorado and visited what I believe could thrive in Morgantown. Topgolf was founded in 2000 and is dubbed the "driving range of the future" by many golf pros. Complete with multiple bars, a restaurant, game rooms, convention/meeting space and over 100 driving bays. Currently, Topgolf has 35 locations throughout the United States and United Kingdom. They are currently building 10 more. Market trends show that this brand is just beginning to bud.

When I visited the Centennial, Colorado location I was floored! First, the place was absolutely packed at 11 am on a Saturday. It was an hour wait for a bay. I spoke to an employee who said this was normal, with wait times peaking between 3-4 hours (yes...4 hours ) Friday and Saturday nights. She also indicated they have regular guests who travel from up to 80 miles away just to play at Topgolf on the weekends.

Second, the atmosphere is fun for the entire family. DJ's and live bands pump up the party on the weekends. Each bay has a "bay attendant" so you can order from a full menu of food and drinks. Topgolf stands for "Target Oriented Practice" Golf, meaning points are collected by hitting targets on the range. Every golf ball has an electronic chip which reads distance, speed, points, etc. for you. I had an absolute blast and would recommend it to anyone!

Moving on to my point...I firmly believe Topgolf would thrive in the Morgantown area. Topgolf currently does not have any locations in the Pittsburgh metropolitan area. The closest to the Pittsburgh/Morgantown region is in West Chester, OH (roughly 280 miles away). In addition to WVU, a large pull from potentially three other states, and a strong The new land available off of the new Bill Stewart interchange would be perfect for this in my opinion. I've also noticed from looking at locations online that wherever Topgolf locates, business seems to flock nearby within a couple of years (think Cabela's interchange in Wheeling). Below are some links with information and photos. Sorry for rambling, but I know much earlier in this thread we discussed business ideas for Morgantown so I wanted to throw this out there. Any thoughts?

Promo Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whZnmCkUCZM

http://topgolf.com/us/

Old 02-06-2017, 10:51 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
This isn't news, but an idea I'd like to share...

Recently, I was in Colorado and visited what I believe could thrive in Morgantown. Topgolf was founded in 2000 and is dubbed the "driving range of the future" by many golf pros. Complete with multiple bars, a restaurant, game rooms, convention/meeting space and over 100 driving bays. Currently, Topgolf has 35 locations throughout the United States and United Kingdom. They are currently building 10 more. Market trends show that this brand is just beginning to bud.

When I visited the Centennial, Colorado location I was floored! First, the place was absolutely packed at 11 am on a Saturday. It was an hour wait for a bay. I spoke to an employee who said this was normal, with wait times peaking between 3-4 hours (yes...4 hours ) Friday and Saturday nights. She also indicated they have regular guests who travel from up to 80 miles away just to play at Topgolf on the weekends.

Second, the atmosphere is fun for the entire family. DJ's and live bands pump up the party on the weekends. Each bay has a "bay attendant" so you can order from a full menu of food and drinks. Topgolf stands for "Target Oriented Practice" Golf, meaning points are collected by hitting targets on the range. Every golf ball has an electronic chip which reads distance, speed, points, etc. for you. I had an absolute blast and would recommend it to anyone!

Moving on to my point...I firmly believe Topgolf would thrive in the Morgantown area. Topgolf currently does not have any locations in the Pittsburgh metropolitan area. The closest to the Pittsburgh/Morgantown region is in West Chester, OH (roughly 280 miles away). In addition to WVU, a large pull from potentially three other states, and a strong The new land available off of the new Bill Stewart interchange would be perfect for this in my opinion. I've also noticed from looking at locations online that wherever Topgolf locates, business seems to flock nearby within a couple of years (think Cabela's interchange in Wheeling). Below are some links with information and photos. Sorry for rambling, but I know much earlier in this thread we discussed business ideas for Morgantown so I wanted to throw this out there. Any thoughts?

Promo Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whZnmCkUCZM

http://topgolf.com/us/
Looks like fun. There are lots of golfers around here, and a number of courses too. Somebody should look into it.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:15 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
I've been to the one in Tampa and it is a blast! It's more like a hip bowling ally than it is a driving range. At night the range and targets are all lit up, and waiters bring drinks and food right to your rented bay. There is a couple in the D.C. Market as well as in Ohio. They usually aren't interested in smaller markets, but I could see Morgantown being able to have success with one.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:27 AM

354 posts, read 505,499 times
Yeah, it seems they focus on major population centers. They would open one in Pittsburgh long before Morgantown.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:14 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,509,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
Yeah, it seems they focus on major population centers. They would open one in Pittsburgh long before Morgantown.
I read an article recently (can't find it now or I'd post the link) where they plan to expand into smaller, suburban markets and college towns. A lot of their locations listed as "coming soon" seem to be in such areas, so it's still a possibility.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:31 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,356 times
I sent them a message about building one here, figured it cant hurt anything to ask.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:06 PM

255 posts, read 390,980 times
Someone told me that the Sabraton Walgreens is going to close. Does anyone know if this is true and if it has anything to do with the realignment of the intersection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown