Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 01:07 PM

273 posts, read 382,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The former discount store lot has for some time, I believe, been owned by The University.
It has not been owned by the university. http://ias.monwv.agdmaps.com/prc/17-4-2/1.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 07:24 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji2086 View Post
It has not been owned by the university. http://ias.monwv.agdmaps.com/prc/17-4-2/1.html
Hmmm. I wonder who is Terra Limited Partnership? That is not a lot of money for that much land in Morgantown. I am surprised WVU didn't buy it since they obviously have a need for it. Maybe the terms of the lease made it more conducive to rent it?

Old 07-25-2017, 10:17 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,356 times
Looks like the Aldis is moving ahead behind CVS. Ground has been broken, there are stakes in the ground and a construction manager trailer is on site. Apparently the other Aldi has been hiring for this new location already to train them. Should know in the next moth or so exactly what is being built, but I'd sure bet it is the Aldi.

Last edited by WVUmatt; 07-25-2017 at 10:34 AM..

Old 07-25-2017, 10:33 AM

36 posts, read 51,386 times
Default Aldi

I know a lady that works at the current Aldi and she has told me it is the new Aldi that they have started construction on.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:17 PM

890 posts, read 1,052,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Looks like the Aldis is moving ahead behind CVS. Ground has been broken, there are stakes in the ground and a construction manager trailer is on site. Apparently the other Aldi has been hiring for this new location already to train them. Should know in the next moth or so exactly what is being built, but I'd sure bet it is the Aldi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbohon View Post
I know a lady that works at the current Aldi and she has told me it is the new Aldi that they have started construction on.
Right on!

Old 07-26-2017, 04:26 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Here comes oldschool me w/ my M-town memories.

Ok, in '94 -- when we 1st moved there -- I shopped Bi-Lo on Univ. Ave & Kroger on Pattison. Also, sometimes Food Lion in Sabraton. We 1st stayed at Kenny's Airport Motel (gone now ) on Mileground too, to find an apt. We also, almost bought a new mobile home from Amer. Homes (I think they were called Amer. then too), & also I met several M-town Chiropractors due to a fresh back injury in 10/94, a month after moving into new apt.

Life was REAL good back then (& yrs younger), but times have changed as I live in AZ now -- but soon to relocate back, as miss east coast flavor alot -- but an aside, sorry.

Also, we stayed at the Morgantown Motel (I think it was the name) on Beechurst as you go up to I-68 entrance from downtown. The OLD dingy Walmart was there in Mountaineer Mall as was the Dollar General & GNC, etc.

Man, far too many mems I have of yesteryr. We 1st lived in Star City & then moved to Fairmont Ave in Westover. We came back in '98 & lived on WIllowdale Rd, & I really miss WVU games at the stadium -- & partying afterwards. Wow, a blast from past & many here have no clue as to what I say. Mark Bulger was QB of WVU & his name blared from stadium over the loudspeaker then. Wow what good times.

Just some oldtime tidbits as I ramble...

Old 07-26-2017, 07:55 PM

255 posts, read 390,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Here comes oldschool me w/ my M-town memories.

Ok, in '94 -- when we 1st moved there -- I shopped Bi-Lo on Univ. Ave & Kroger on Pattison. Also, sometimes Food Lion in Sabraton. We 1st stayed at Kenny's Airport Motel (gone now ) on Mileground too, to find an apt. We also, almost bought a new mobile home from Amer. Homes (I think they were called Amer. then too), & also I met several M-town Chiropractors due to a fresh back injury in 10/94, a month after moving into new apt.

Life was REAL good back then (& yrs younger), but times have changed as I live in AZ now -- but soon to relocate back, as miss east coast flavor alot -- but an aside, sorry.

Also, we stayed at the Morgantown Motel (I think it was the name) on Beechurst as you go up to I-68 entrance from downtown. The OLD dingy Walmart was there in Mountaineer Mall as was the Dollar General & GNC, etc.

Man, far too many mems I have of yesteryr. We 1st lived in Star City & then moved to Fairmont Ave in Westover. We came back in '98 & lived on WIllowdale Rd, & I really miss WVU games at the stadium -- & partying afterwards. Wow, a blast from past & many here have no clue as to what I say. Mark Bulger was QB of WVU & his name blared from stadium over the loudspeaker then. Wow what good times.

Just some oldtime tidbits as I ramble...
Ha-I remember when the old dingy Wal-mart was brand new.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:23 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
I remember before it was built. There have been a whole lot of changes here since the early 90s. Interestingly, the old dingy Walmart space is now occupied by the Mylan accounting department, and Mylan is taking over other areas in the old Mall too. For the most part, we have been successful in Morgantown at turning former retail space into productive uses. The place with the most need of development now is Sabraton, where a car dealership will soon be moved to UTC and an 84 Lumber location will be relocated to a new site on the West side of I-79. There is space in Sabraton that could use a sizable tenant or two.

Question ... My wife does the grocery shopping for the family. When we lived in Connecticut, she used to shop some of the time at Trader Joe's in Danbury. I went with her once, and was surprised at the small size of the store, for it being so popular with the wacko contingent. I understand that the same parent company owns Aldi's. What is the difference between an Aldi's and a Trader Joe's?

Old 07-29-2017, 08:51 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I remember before it was built. There have been a whole lot of changes here since the early 90s. Interestingly, the old dingy Walmart space is now occupied by the Mylan accounting department, and Mylan is taking over other areas in the old Mall too. For the most part, we have been successful in Morgantown at turning former retail space into productive uses. The place with the most need of development now is Sabraton, where a car dealership will soon be moved to UTC and an 84 Lumber location will be relocated to a new site on the West side of I-79. There is space in Sabraton that could use a sizable tenant or two.

Question ... My wife does the grocery shopping for the family. When we lived in Connecticut, she used to shop some of the time at Trader Joe's in Danbury. I went with her once, and was surprised at the small size of the store, for it being so popular with the wacko contingent. I understand that the same parent company owns Aldi's. What is the difference between an Aldi's and a Trader Joe's?
Trader Joe's is geared toward more organic choices. Aldi's is geared more toward low cost offerings. Aldi's does have some unique items which is nice but doesn't have the variety of a Trader Joe's. I would like to see one here, but it will never happen. Here is a good article explaining why Whole Foods and Trader Joe's won't locate in WV.

The Organic Food Trade Association says when it comes to buying organic food, higher education levels matter most because educated shoppers are more likely to experiment with food.

In West Virginia, only 18 percent of the population have a college degree or higher.

Income, education levels preventing major organic food stores fr - WBOY - Clarksburg, Morgantown: News, Sports, Weather

Trader Joe's will also not open a store unless it is close to one of their distribution centers. This is of course to keep costs down. This is another factor why they will never locate here.

https://transportation.areavoices.co...-in-your-city/

Old 07-29-2017, 10:58 AM

255 posts, read 390,980 times
It is my understanding that Aldi Nord owns Trader Joe's; Aldi Sud owns Aldi in the US. They used to be one family company but split years ago but are still apparently closely connected.

Aldi specializes in very basic items at low prices and does things to keep costs down like having you put a quarter in the cart rack to get a cart which you get back when you return the cart. Trader Joe's is still cheap but is a more upscale, hipster vibe. Good prices on fruit and veg, cheese and other items but a lot of prepared and sometimes exotic frozen food; lots of organic and things like almond butter and kale chips and ethnic items. Although Aldi is a German company, Trader Joe's was founded in California.

I guess I am part of the wacko contingent; I like Trader Joe's. I could probably never do all my shopping there but I'd love to have one here. I'm also looking forward to the new Aldi's which will be a lot more convenient to me.

BTW-Aldi's German competitor, Lidl, is moving into the US. They have opened several stores in the Va-NC-SC area and are expected to expand quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown