Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 01:26 AM

98 posts, read 113,258 times

Advertisements

I've been told Aldi will open a store in Star City - I think behind the CVS . Are you happy with the grocery shopping in Morgantown ? Kroger seems to dominate w Giant Eagle 2nd . Neither Giant Eagle is doing well . The Krogers in the Suncrest Town Center is the #1 Kroger in the Mid Atlantic Region ( at least that's what I was told ) . Giant Eagle could have had that location , but turned it down . If I lived in Cheat Lake , I wouldn't be happy w Shop n Save - something about the place . Kroger wanted to build a mega store ( similar to Wall Mart Super Center ) in Saberton , but couldn't come to terms with the property to the right ( where Pizza Hut was ) . McDonalds - across the street will soon be torn down and a brand new one built in the same place . Could Morgantown support a Trader Joe or Whole Food ? What about Costco to compete with SAMs Club ? What about Restaurant Depot ? - it's a nice place to go . Also , we could use a small grocery store with a real butcher .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 02:05 AM

890 posts, read 1,052,795 times
shop n save is a complete joke....me and the wife just use UTC Walmart for the majority of our groceries and other items, and Suncrest TC Kroger when we just need a few things for convenience (we live off the Mileground) that Kroger is def. busy as hell, but i think alot if it is the horrible way of gettin into the parking lot...epic design fail....we'll be usin the new Aldi's some as it will now be on our way to the UTC....Giant Eagle at UTC is good for liquor (cheaper than BFS or Ashebrooke) not much else, and all the black n yellow Steelers stuff hurts my Cowboys eyes lol.....

Old 08-01-2016, 06:45 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,803 times
From what I have been told by someone who knows the UTC project well, Trader Joes as of right now is not going to happen in this area. We meet all of their criteria except for our average income, since they look at such a large area when they are considering the store, the extremely rural areas that are lumped in with Morgantown (and surrounding towns) majorly drag down the average income. Once they hit that they do not go further. I've been to two of the three Trader Joe's in Pittsburgh quite often and every time I'm there I mention how far I have to drive and the cashiers always say they are amazed by how many of their customers are from Morgantown or areas near there. Its a real shame, they would make a killing here.

I would love a whole foods, if they do eventually decide to come to town I can think of two perfect areas for the, the West View Shopping Center or the vacant lot downtown next to sheetz. The downtown location they could do one of their urban downtown stores where the first floor is a parking garage and the second floor is the store itself.

If I were betting, we will see a large grocery store of some kind build at UTC/West View area. Giant Eagle building such a small store there was really short sighted. I could see them either building a new larger store up there and close the small one, or someone else builds a large store up there and the Giant Eagle turn into the Giant Eagle Market Place Express.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:46 AM

255 posts, read 391,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from Morgantown View Post
I've been told Aldi will open a store in Star City - I think behind the CVS . Are you happy with the grocery shopping in Morgantown ? Kroger seems to dominate w Giant Eagle 2nd . Neither Giant Eagle is doing well . The Krogers in the Suncrest Town Center is the #1 Kroger in the Mid Atlantic Region ( at least that's what I was told ) . Giant Eagle could have had that location , but turned it down . If I lived in Cheat Lake , I wouldn't be happy w Shop n Save - something about the place . Kroger wanted to build a mega store ( similar to Wall Mart Super Center ) in Saberton , but couldn't come to terms with the property to the right ( where Pizza Hut was ) . McDonalds - across the street will soon be torn down and a brand new one built in the same place . Could Morgantown support a Trader Joe or Whole Food ? What about Costco to compete with SAMs Club ? What about Restaurant Depot ? - it's a nice place to go . Also , we could use a small grocery store with a real butcher .
Let's see--lots of questions.

Giant Eagle is killing themselves. I used to be a big fan but they have gone downhill fast. Selection is down; prices are up. I still go there but I'm buying less and less there. Gift cards for the fuel perks are a biggie. I shop at the UTC store and tend to forget about the old one. Once in a while I will do some shopping for specialty items at the Market District in South Hills. I'm curious to see how that one does once Whole Foods opens. Both the Mkt Dist and Trader Joes up there are usually jammed when I'm there (weekends usually)

On the flip side Kroger has improved. We do a lot of cooking, including some semi-exotic things such as curries and also I love cheese. I mostly shop at the new K because of selection although the Sabraton K is closer. I'm curious to see how the remodel goes; if it improves the selection I will shop there more often. The new one has a problem in that they do not always keep sale items well stocked. They will have a really good price on an item and the shelf is empty. This is especially true of their Friday freebies. Sabraton K seems to be better at stocking even though they are also usually fairly busy. Really a shame about the Pizza Hut location. A megastore would have been great for me there and that old strip where the Pizza Hut was is wasted.

Shop n Save--what can I say. When they built that store and closed the Westover store I was amazed that they managed to transfer the rather unpleasant vibe intact from the old store to the new.

Whole Foods and Trader Joes. I don't think the area could support a Whole Food but think Trader Joes would be a terrific fit with the Morgantown demographics.

Aldi's -- I only shop there occasionally due to the location and selection. I would definitely give it a try at a different location. The new project is called River Landing. Petroplus & Associates, Inc. » River Landing
No confirmation yet as far as Inhave seen on Aldi's. Wouldn't it be nice if it was TraderJoe's instead.

Misc--Cheat Lake and Westover are definitely deprived when it comes to grocery stores. It is really sad that the only things that seem to come into Westover are things like Dollar stores and Goodwill.

I would love a Costco. I shop at Sam's but would switch to Costco in a heartbeat. Seldom shop at Walmart. Not a fan. I would love a Publix but they are not coming this way anytime soon. I would be happy if Kroger's would copy them a little more. BTW-I have family in the Hampton Virginia area and they are excited because Kroger is opening a store in their area.

Had not heard about the McDonalds. Interesting.

Restaurant Depot - I don't think Morgantown could support one. I would be in heaven; you'd not get me out for hours.

Real butcher-YES

Old 08-01-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
shop n save is a complete joke....me and the wife just use UTC Walmart for the majority of our groceries and other items, and Suncrest TC Kroger when we just need a few things for convenience (we live off the Mileground) that Kroger is def. busy as hell, but i think alot if it is the horrible way of gettin into the parking lot...epic design fail....we'll be usin the new Aldi's some as it will now be on our way to the UTC....Giant Eagle at UTC is good for liquor (cheaper than BFS or Ashebrooke) not much else, and all the black n yellow Steelers stuff hurts my Cowboys eyes lol.....
I go in the back entrance to Suncrest Kroger. Their main parking lot entrance is terrible and getting worse now that there are more stores out there.

Not a Cowboys fan but the Steelers stuff hurts my Redskins eyes too. (NOVA transplant)

Old 08-01-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowWin View Post
I go in the back entrance to Suncrest Kroger. Their main parking lot entrance is terrible and getting worse now that there are more stores out there.

Not a Cowboys fan but the Steelers stuff hurts my Redskins eyes too. (NOVA transplant)
Ravens fan here, imagine how I feel. lol

Old 08-01-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowWin View Post
Let's see--lots of questions.

Giant Eagle is killing themselves. I used to be a big fan but they have gone downhill fast. Selection is down; prices are up. I still go there but I'm buying less and less there. Gift cards for the fuel perks are a biggie. I shop at the UTC store and tend to forget about the old one. Once in a while I will do some shopping for specialty items at the Market District in South Hills. I'm curious to see how that one does once Whole Foods opens. Both the Mkt Dist and Trader Joes up there are usually jammed when I'm there (weekends usually)

On the flip side Kroger has improved. We do a lot of cooking, including some semi-exotic things such as curries and also I love cheese. I mostly shop at the new K because of selection although the Sabraton K is closer. I'm curious to see how the remodel goes; if it improves the selection I will shop there more often. The new one has a problem in that they do not always keep sale items well stocked. They will have a really good price on an item and the shelf is empty. This is especially true of their Friday freebies. Sabraton K seems to be better at stocking even though they are also usually fairly busy. Really a shame about the Pizza Hut location. A megastore would have been great for me there and that old strip where the Pizza Hut was is wasted.

Shop n Save--what can I say. When they built that store and closed the Westover store I was amazed that they managed to transfer the rather unpleasant vibe intact from the old store to the new.

Whole Foods and Trader Joes. I don't think the area could support a Whole Food but think Trader Joes would be a terrific fit with the Morgantown demographics.

Aldi's -- I only shop there occasionally due to the location and selection. I would definitely give it a try at a different location. The new project is called River Landing. Petroplus & Associates, Inc. » River Landing
No confirmation yet as far as Inhave seen on Aldi's. Wouldn't it be nice if it was TraderJoe's instead.

Misc--Cheat Lake and Westover are definitely deprived when it comes to grocery stores. It is really sad that the only things that seem to come into Westover are things like Dollar stores and Goodwill.

I would love a Costco. I shop at Sam's but would switch to Costco in a heartbeat. Seldom shop at Walmart. Not a fan. I would love a Publix but they are not coming this way anytime soon. I would be happy if Kroger's would copy them a little more. BTW-I have family in the Hampton Virginia area and they are excited because Kroger is opening a store in their area.

Had not heard about the McDonalds. Interesting.

Restaurant Depot - I don't think Morgantown could support one. I would be in heaven; you'd not get me out for hours.

Real butcher-YES
My Sams club membership would be gone so fast. I really wish Costco would move here, on top of everything else they offer, their Kirkland labeled liquor is cheap and it is actually name brand stuff.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:13 AM

98 posts, read 113,258 times
That interesting about back entrance to Suncrest Krogers - didn't know that was possible . It is getting busy at that intersection to Krogers - what about a traffic light ?

Food Lion tried to compete w Krogers in Sabraton ( current Med Express office ) but failed quickly because it was non-union and protests were frequent outside the store . I don't think that would happen today , although it wasn't all that long ago .

Old 08-01-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from Morgantown View Post
That interesting about back entrance to Suncrest Krogers - didn't know that was possible . It is getting busy at that intersection to Krogers - what about a traffic light ?

Food Lion tried to compete w Krogers in Sabraton ( current Med Express office ) but failed quickly because it was non-union and protests were frequent outside the store . I don't think that would happen today , although it wasn't all that long ago .
Food Lion as a company is almost dead, their prices are always insanely higher than anywhere else and their selection is terrible.

The back way into Krogers is great and there is also a small parking area on the side which is nice too.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Food Lion as a company is almost dead, their prices are always insanely higher than anywhere else and their selection is terrible.

The back way into Krogers is great and there is also a small parking area on the side which is nice too.
Oops-we shouldn't have mentioned the back entrance; now everyone will be using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown