Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 09:07 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times

Advertisements

CT, the fact that Pitt and Syracuse are applying for the ACC leads me to think they believe WVU is going to the SEC. The ACC is not so much better than the Big East, but if Morgantown leaves it than it would look attractive.

If they leave the league WVU needs to leave it. I would think the Big Ten would be the best option but the SEC isnt a bad alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 10:06 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times
I doubt the Big Ten would invite WVU to join. The Big Ten is all about The Big Ten Network and television markets, and with WPa and NCWV already sandwiched between Ohio State and Penn State, adding WVU wouldn't add much to the TV coverage areas. (This is one of the reasons that Pitt is going ACC... it adds a new TV market, which it wouldn't to the Big Ten.)

WVU (considering there is considerable interest in WVU in WPa) would bring a lot of eyeballs to the SEC Network, and would also increase the attractiveness of SEC basketball games. WVU basketball might lose some access to the NY talent pool, no longer playing in MSG, but football would gain in terms of access to the rich southeastern talent.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:47 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,437 times
WVU belongs in the ACC...so many geographical rivalries, and overall it fits the type of school that WVU is from both a football and basketball standpoint.

No offense, but WVU would be completely awkward in the SEC. Not only would you have very long travel situations for almost every away game...but do you people actually pay attention to the SEC? We're talking a completely different style of football with players who are both larger and faster than what WVU has. All of those 9-4/10-3 typical WVU seasons will easily shrink down to 7-5 and 8-4 on average if not worse on some occasions. WVU won't be anywhere near as relevant in the SEC considering how murderous that schedule would be. Imagine having to play 4 top 10 teams in a row every year...I think WVU could quickly be at risk for being shot down to the likes of Kentucky's football program considering who and what they would be going up against on a weekly basis. Seriously, only Vandy stands as a punching bag in that conference...by default, WVU would automatically be towards the lower half of the pecking order upon entry.

It's a different game with a different environment...those SEC stadiums are HUGE. I fear that WVU would get left in the dust and have no chance of ever hanging with the big boys of that conference with their NFL sized stadiums, cream of the crop recruits, etc. Just look at how long it's taking Tennessee to get it back together and return to former glory...that school is a southern staple and even THEY are having massive problems with catching up to the big guns. How in the world could WVU ever expect to make this work when they don't hold a stake in the South to begin with?

I see it like this...go to the SEC and be considered as a low-middle to middle ranking team/school functioning as filler to even out their numbers, or go to the ACC where you could be a high ranking to top of the line school that legit belongs and holds some clout. The ACC makes so much more sense considering rivalries and what's at stake.

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 09-18-2011 at 10:56 AM..

Old 09-18-2011, 11:40 AM

The ACC isnt what it used to be, but if Pitt joined it along with WVU we would have some good rivalries.

Another thing to consider is that WVU's market is bigger than WV and western PA. WVU attracts alumni from all across the country, especially in NJ. So the WVU network easily extends into Maryland, New Jersey, DC, and Virginia, and even NY. The school is also popular nationwide. I cant explain why, but ive lived across the country and met WVU fans who have never attended the school or even been to WV. Apparently even Leonardo DiCapro is a Mountaineer fan, or at least likes our hats. (http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2009/07/leo-500x600.jpg - broken link)

Old 09-18-2011, 11:44 AM

It is official Pitt is going to the ACC.

Also, after WVU sued the ACC I doubt they are going to invite us. Big East just lost another good team. I think our only option is to join another conference.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:47 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Default ESPN Gameday Coming to Morgantown

ESPN has announced that Morgantown will be this week's destination...

West Virginia Mountaineers Football: WVSports.com

Old 09-18-2011, 01:19 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
The ACC isnt what it used to be, but if Pitt joined it along with WVU we would have some good rivalries.

Another thing to consider is that WVU's market is bigger than WV and western PA. WVU attracts alumni from all across the country, especially in NJ. So the WVU network easily extends into Maryland, New Jersey, DC, and Virginia, and even NY. The school is also popular nationwide. I cant explain why, but ive lived across the country and met WVU fans who have never attended the school or even been to WV. Apparently even Leonardo DiCapro is a Mountaineer fan, or at least likes our hats. (http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2009/07/leo-500x600.jpg - broken link)
But the ACC already has those markets. U of Maryland, U of Virginia, now Syracuse and Pitt. In today's market, a conference wants geographic diversity, to get bigger network deals and more subscribers to the conference network. On my cable system, the Big Ten Network is on basic cable, meaning that a buck or two of my monthly bill goes to the Big Ten, even though I have no intention of ever watching women's volleyball between Wisconsin and Northwestern.

I agree, the SEC will be tougher in football (and likely easier in basketball). My preference would be ACC or Big Ten. But if those aren't possible (and I gather that things remain fluid, so I think there's still a chance), then joining the SEC is better than remaining in a decimated Big East.

If WVU wants to be considered a big-time program, it will have to play big-time opponents. I don't think the distances involved are all that greater than within the Big East or ACC, and everybody in WV has relatives, or knows someone, who already lives in the deep South anyway.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:16 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,437 times
Couple of articles up on the net about the ACC raid being a domino effect of WVU submitting paperwork to the SEC late last week.....looks like it might already be a done deal unless WVU has a second or third option that opens up.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:36 PM

6,075 posts, read 9,100,962 times
We are going to the SEC, I've heard that we are the 14th program. The Athletic Dept. has been talking with SEC officials, and the SEC has selected WVU from what I've seen and heard. The truth is that SYR and PITT probably jumped ship because they got wind of what we are going to do.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:38 PM

6,075 posts, read 9,100,962 times
It was only a matter of time. That will be fun, but it is sad that I have plans from 8am-3pm,

But I do plan on driving up for the game!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown