Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 06:03 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,406,316 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about Exit 155 on I-79. It says West Virginia University, and it takes you through Star City. I haven't been on the Interstate with it backed up all the way to Westover, but apparently it was that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 10:53 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,863,039 times
It was like coming up on a construction site where two lanes need to become one. A sign stating thru traffic stay in left lane would have helped somewhat plus they could have somehow coordinated the lights or had police directing traffic to give relief to the ones backed up so far.

Maybe two lanes turning into the parking lots even if they have to alternate the lanes making the turns.

There definitely needs to be something done because I think they are going to be close to selling out every game if they continue to play so well.

It was just a MESS!

Old 01-02-2015, 02:05 AM

10,147 posts, read 14,974,800 times
My wife and I live on the hill over Sabraton, and we usually go to all the games and park with our Blue Parking Pass. Even though it is a 15 minute drive to the stadium (with minimal traffic), on game days we leave at least 50 minutes early and go via Hartman Run and 705 to get to the Coliseum. Even so, we normally get there just in time. If you're coming from out of town, I suggest planning to get to Morgantown at least an hour early.

As everyone knows, our infrastructure here is woefully inadequate to our needs and there are only so many cars that can pass at once on the 4/5 lanes getting there from Star City or on 705. They're trying to handle it as best they can, but it will really take the state spending some money on road construction to remedy the situation. There were nearly 13,350 fans at that game on Saturday, and if it hadn't been for the bowl game in Memphis you can bet there would have been even more. We were in Memphis, and thus couldn't attend. For the 10 home games on the Big XII schedule, I would imagine that they will be packed. Arrive early.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:47 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,863,039 times
After what I went through, I say two hours is more like it. LOL

I was at the Westover exit almost an hour before hand so that obviously is insufficient.

It will be very expensive to add any additional lanes close the Coliseum.

As for doing the best they can, I totally disagree because there was nobody physically involved in controlling traffic except the WVU Event Staff at the Coliseum. They need to spring for off-duty policeman to come out and direct traffic much earlier to allow a freer flow of traffic, in my opinion.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:28 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,406,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post

I was at the Westover exit almost an hour before hand so that obviously is insufficient.

As for doing the best they can, I totally disagree because there was nobody physically involved in controlling traffic except the WVU Event Staff at the Coliseum. They need to spring for off-duty policeman to come out and direct traffic much earlier to allow a freer flow of traffic, in my opinion.
They frequently do this, especially for night games. I don't know why they wouldn't be there for the VT game, especially when they know they sold so many tickets.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:30 AM

671 posts, read 1,052,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post

bballjunkie,

Those of us who live in the Morgantown area find these issues terribly frustrating too. Imagine all of your city's roads are clogged with traffic every workday from 3-6pm, where a 10 minute drive takes 45 minutes -- much because your state government chooses not to work with local interests. That's Morgantown. As a transplant to WV, the state's disregard for quality of life in Morgantown simply fulfills my expectation of moving to a state that is ranked last in most social indicators. Morgantown is lovely and has a great variety of entertainment to make up for this, but I find it disgusting that the state doesn't put any money into expanding its roadways in this area. Perhaps the state assembly should schedule some sessions in Morgantown (as they recently had in Bridgeport) so that those folks who only see this place on gameday can realize that the traffic is a problem all of the time, not just during football and basketball events.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
bballjunkie,

Those of us who live in the Morgantown area find these issues terribly frustrating too. Imagine all of your city's roads are clogged with traffic every workday from 3-6pm, where a 10 minute drive takes 45 minutes -- much because your state government chooses not to work with local interests. That's Morgantown. As a transplant to WV, the state's disregard for quality of life in Morgantown simply fulfills my expectation of moving to a state that is ranked last in most social indicators. Morgantown is lovely and has a great variety of entertainment to make up for this, but I find it disgusting that the state doesn't put any money into expanding its roadways in this area. Perhaps the state assembly should schedule some sessions in Morgantown (as they recently had in Bridgeport) so that those folks who only see this place on gameday can realize that the traffic is a problem all of the time, not just during football and basketball events.
Unfortunately, our state has what one might describe as a "tribal" mindset. Parts of our state could care less about our problems here, and they are so focused on whatever they can grab for themselves that it is like pulling teeth to get anything done. To get any action at all from the state here, we essentially have to agree to pay for it with local tax dollars while other areas get one free handout after another. It is more than a bit frustrating, but there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Changing demographics are slowly bringing changing focus.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:29 AM

Default WVU Will Name New Athletic Director

Rumors have it that West Virginia University officials have chosen a new Atheltic Director to lead the school's $80 million per year in revenue Athletic Department.

Alabama deputy athletic director Shane Lyons has accepted an offer to become West Virginia's athletic director, a source told ESPN's Brett McMurphy.

Lyons will be announced Monday as the school's replacement for former AD Oliver Luck, who left WVU on Dec. 17 to become executive vice president of regulatory affairs with the NCAA.

Lyons has been at Alabama since 2011. Before that he was an Atlantic Coast Conference associate commissioner from 2001-11.

Sources said Lyons met with West Virginia officials, including president Gordon Gee and James Dailey, chairman of WVU's Board of Governors, Saturday in Morgantown, West Virginia, and school officials the week before in Parkersburg, West Virginia.

Lyons, a native of Parkersburg, West Virginia, graduated from West Virginia in 1987 with a bachelor's degree in Sport Management and also earned a master's degree in Sport Management from WVU in 1988.

Alabama deputy athletic director Shane Lyons has accepted an offer to become West Virginia's athletic director, a source told ESPN's Brett McMurphy.

Lyons will be announced Monday as the school's replacement for former AD Oliver Luck, who left WVU on Dec. 17 to become executive vice president of regulatory affairs with the NCAA.

Lyons has been at Alabama since 2011. Before that he was an Atlantic Coast Conference associate commissioner from 2001-11.

Sources said Lyons met with West Virginia officials, including president Gordon Gee and James Dailey, chairman of WVU's Board of Governors, Saturday in Morgantown, West Virginia, and school officials the week before in Parkersburg, West Virginia.

Lyons, a native of Parkersburg, West Virginia, graduated from West Virginia in 1987 with a bachelor's degree in Sport Management and also earned a master's degree in Sport Management from WVU in 1988.

http://www.charlestondailymail.com/a...150109768/1420

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 01-05-2015 at 03:53 AM..

Old 01-05-2015, 11:56 AM

It's official... Lyons will be new Athletic Director and Associate Vice President starting in February.

Shane Lyons named director of Intercollegiate Athletics and associate vice president at West Virginia University

Old 01-05-2015, 03:20 PM

283 posts, read 342,738 times
I wonder hoe much his contact will be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown