Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 10:04 PM

253 posts, read 571,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtbred View Post
While I root for WVU my love is Alabama has been for 40 years. I would like to see WVU in the SEC I don't see it as a good fit. Problem is as others mentioned the Big East isn't all that big anymore and WV needs to do whatever it can to get in one of the big conferences. SEC is the King of conferences right now so why not try to get in the best one? Problem is does the SEC really want them? I think it comes down to what Missouri does.
Anyone thinking about joining the SEC need to be prepared to be bottom tier for a good long while. Look how long it has taken S. Carolina and Arkansas to be real contenders.

So while I think WVU would be a good fit long term, starting out it won't be pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 10:34 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
Unfortunately, we didn't fare quite as well as I had hoped!

More thoughts on WVU/Morgantown/this weekend @ TigerDroppings.com
Has anyone else heard about the LSU fans that got a rock thrown through the window of their car... and then when they got out to confront those who did it they were attacked....and had to be sent to the hospital...

This is absolutely ridiculous...

I'd like to personally apologize to everyone who visited my former state and was treated that way. That's not the way a WVian, whether a born WVian or a transient from Jersey would normally act. Clearly good sportsmanship is something WVU should look into... It's a liability. No one is going to want to play them... even if they know they'll beat them just like LSU did... because of the treatment they get when playing at WVU...

Pathetic...

Old 09-28-2011, 05:00 AM

144 posts, read 317,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
Anyone thinking about joining the SEC need to be prepared to be bottom tier for a good long while. Look how long it has taken S. Carolina and Arkansas to be real contenders.

So while I think WVU would be a good fit long term, starting out it won't be pretty.
Very true and it does take time but it will help with recruiting.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:31 AM

264 posts, read 492,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I'd like to personally apologize to everyone who visited my former state and was treated that way. That's not the way a WVian, whether a born WVian or a transient from Jersey would normally act. Clearly good sportsmanship is something WVU should look into... It's a liability. No one is going to want to play them... even if they know they'll beat them just like LSU did... because of the treatment they get when playing at WVU...

Pathetic...
Kind of like Tom Herrion, the former Pitt assistant, who was hit in the eye with something during a WVU basketball game.

Kind of like the countless other stories of fans being harassed...not ribbed or intimidated like in almost any other college or professional sports city, but legitimately harassed any time the fans in Morgantown don't like how things are going.

Good for you, being that WV is your former state. I guess some are smart enough to get out of that third-world country.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:06 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Has anyone else heard about the LSU fans that got a rock thrown through the window of their car... and then when they got out to confront those who did it they were attacked....and had to be sent to the hospital...

This is absolutely ridiculous...

Pathetic...
First of all, nobody thinks this incident had anything to do with a football game or football fans. Even the wife of the guy injured said so. She said it was seemingly random, and they did not even wear clothes indentifying themselves as LSU fans. Secondly, the same guy was involved in a similar incident a few years ago in Missouri. That makes one wonder if maybe there wasn't more involved here than meets the eye.

There were 100,000+ people hanging out in Morgantown that evening, residents, fans, visitors of every sort. There is nothing that indicates the perpetrators were WVU fans, or fans of any school for that matter. When you have that many folks in the same place at the same time, it stands to reason a handfull of them will be nutcases. It could have happened anywhere, and if not for the fact that there happened to be a football game going on at the same time, it wouldn't even have even gotten serious attention in the press.

So, while you are "pathetic"ally apologizing for that random act of violence, you should also apologize for the many other violent acts that take place in our country every day. We are far too solf on violent criminals, and if these individuals are caught, they should be made a serious example to discourage other violent acts in the future.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:04 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
First of all, nobody thinks this incident had anything to do with a football game or football fans. Even the wife of the guy injured said so. She said it was seemingly random, and they did not even wear clothes indentifying themselves as LSU fans. Secondly, the same guy was involved in a similar incident a few years ago in Missouri. That makes one wonder if maybe there wasn't more involved here than meets the eye.

There were 100,000+ people hanging out in Morgantown that evening, residents, fans, visitors of every sort. There is nothing that indicates the perpetrators were WVU fans, or fans of any school for that matter. When you have that many folks in the same place at the same time, it stands to reason a handfull of them will be nutcases. It could have happened anywhere, and if not for the fact that there happened to be a football game going on at the same time, it wouldn't even have even gotten serious attention in the press.

So, while you are "pathetic"ally apologizing for that random act of violence, you should also apologize for the many other violent acts that take place in our country every day. We are far too solf on violent criminals, and if these individuals are caught, they should be made a serious example to discourage other violent acts in the future.
CT.... you can put sprinkles all over dog $hit if you'd like...but that still doesn't make it a Coldstone treat.... You're not seeing this for what it is... rather trying to pass off actual harassment and assaults on opposing teams as something that happens everyday in America... with your usual spritz of pseudo "self presumed" elitism. When it comes down to it a large group of WVU fans do not practice good sportsmanship... sad.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:13 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
CT.... you can put sprinkles all over dog $hit if you'd like...but that still doesn't make it a Coldstone treat.... You're not seeing this for what it is... rather trying to pass off actual harassment and assaults on opposing teams as something that happens everyday in America... with your usual spritz of pseudo "self presumed" elitism. When it comes down to it a large group of WVU fans do not practice good sportsmanship... sad.
Really? Coming from you?

You wanted to fight me over my opinion, because you didnt agree with it. You accused me of just running my mouth over the internet and dared me to tell you this to your face. When I told you I would meet you at my MMA gym you responded with skepticism that MMA was illegal in WV. You suggested I got on your property when you had a gun...

When you found out it wasnt you quickly said you, "kidding." You have no right to lecture anyone on sportsmanship. You have shown yourself lacking in that area. So Cody before you criticize CT take a look at yourself. Im still waiting for an apology.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:13 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,107,153 times
As a long time WVU fan, I have to be honest that what happened in Morgantown last saturday wasn't an everyday thing that could be seen on every college campus. I had never seen the students act that way before, and I've never been to other places where I as a visitor was treated as poorly as we treated LSU fans. I've been to Rutgers, Syracuse, Cincy, Pitt, ECU, Miami, Marshall, and at all of those places I would put the hospitality level above what I saw last weekend!

Old 09-29-2011, 09:19 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
As a long time WVU fan, I have to be honest that what happened in Morgantown last saturday wasn't an everyday thing that could be seen on every college campus. I had never seen the students act that way before, and I've never been to other places where I as a visitor was treated as poorly as we treated LSU fans. I've been to Rutgers, Syracuse, Cincy, Pitt, ECU, Miami, Marshall, and at all of those places I would put the hospitality level above what I saw last weekend!
Apparently us WVU fans were terrible, but I didnt notice bad behavior. In the parking lot WVU fans were mingling with LSU fans and everyone I observed was civil. A few days later I heard about WVU's behavior. I was actually surprised, and a little upset that these idiots are hurting the reputation of the school. They are not real WVU fans, but jerks who want an excuse to get drunk and act like hooligans.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:29 AM

15 posts, read 25,857 times
I am a Marshall grad, but I am of the school of thought that anything beyond a simple sports rivalry on the days that MU and WVU play each other is counterproductive to both schools and to our state, so I consider myself a WVU fan as well.

That being said, I fear that the two parts of this thread are related. That WVU isn't getting invited to other conferences like the ACC (where it would be a perfect fit) has a lot to do with image, and that image is often tainted by the few crazies who behave like this. Our state's image is another part of this problem as well.

I am hoping that either the Big East can rebound with a new set of teams that fit together or that WVU can get into one of the super conferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown