Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 05:32 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
To say that all of the rumors are true is not logical or accurate. Go to any of the college forums and look over the many months (years) of rumors of teams going to different places. Pitt to the Big 12 was rumored too.

Again, maybe it will happen. I just highly doubt it for reasons I stated.
Im sure Pitt did communicate with the Big 12, along with the ACC. The rumors were Pitt was trying to get out. They were true.

FSU & Clemson are leaving. Maybe it wont be to the Big 12, but that seems the most likely. The fact that FSU & Clemson are communicating with the Big 12 and are very unhappy with the ACC are not rumors but facts. The rumor part is they are leaving. If they intended to stay they would not be talking to the Big 12. So even if they dont end up in the Big 12 the ACC can kiss them goodbye.

It is time for you to accept this and move on. It probably wont be the end of the ACC, but it is not going to be good for them. In many ways this is related to Pitt. FSU & Clemson wanted better football teams in the ACC and the ACC went and added Pitt & Syracuse. This was basically the ACC saying, "**** you we are a basketball conference," to the football teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 07:48 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Quote:
To say that all of the rumors are true is not logical or accurate. Go to any of the college forums and look over the many months (years) of rumors of teams going to different places. Pitt to the Big 12 was rumored too.

Again, maybe it will happen. I just highly doubt it for reasons I stated.
Actually, again according to rumors, Pitt was considered for B12 membership but wouldn't qualify because of a league prohibition against programs using rented facilities, so no serious consideration resulted.

There is no way to say what rumors are accurate and what rumors are off base. But, the rumors about Clemson and Florida State have been persistent which might lead to a conclusion that they have some legs. And, if you look at the fact that the ACC jumped in and brought in two schools that did not raise their football profile or significantly add to their television draw, one might conclude that this was a reaction to fears of losing programs in the highly fluid college athletics environment we see today.

Logically speaking too, Florida State and Clemson just do not fit the profile of the typical ACC school.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:10 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Quote:
Im sure Pitt did communicate with the Big 12, along with the ACC. The rumors were Pitt was trying to get out. They were true.
No, the rumor was during the Big 12's scramble. But agai, just go back and try to sort through the countless rumors that never became reality.

There is no denying that when the Big 10 and SEC consider expansion again, that the ACC is at the top. It is what it is. Until then, rumors will persist regarding the ACC and what every othe conference is up to.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
No, the rumor was during the Big 12's scramble. But agai, just go back and try to sort through the countless rumors that never became reality.

There is no denying that when the Big 10 and SEC consider expansion again, that the ACC is at the top. It is what it is. Until then, rumors will persist regarding the ACC and what every othe conference is up to.
It is confirmed that FSU & Clemson are talking to the Big 12, and have been doing so for awhile. It is also confirmed they want to leave the ACC. What is unconfirmed is if they will join the Big 12. At this point it is speculation, but most people think they will, and if they dont almost everyone agrees they are leaving the ACC. They are as good as gone.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:12 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
The four major conferences... SEC, B10, B12, and Pac12 all pay their members $10 million more per year to participate than does the ACC. In truth, right now the B12 does not want to expand further, but if and when it does, those schools would have to seriously entertain the idea. There is just too much money at stake to not do so, and they aren't happy where they are anyway.

They are a better fit fan base wise, and football program wise in any of those other leagues than in the ACC. Miami might want out too but they really don't bring as much to the table, and as I said before Maryland is said to be none too happy with the current arrangement.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The four major conferences... SEC, B10, B12, and Pac12 all pay their members $10 million more per year to participate than does the ACC. In truth, right now the B12 does not want to expand further, but if and when it does, those schools would have to seriously entertain the idea. There is just too much money at stake to not do so, and they aren't happy where they are anyway.

They are a better fit fan base wise, and football program wise in any of those other leagues than in the ACC. Miami might want out too but they really don't bring as much to the table, and as I said before Maryland is said to be none too happy with the current arrangement.
Well CT, the Big 12 is looking to expand. Maybe not this year, but soon.

Lville and BYU already sent in applications and are waiting for approval, and supposedly they are a lock. The thing holding them up is the Big 12 is waiting on FSU & Clemson to join, and it will bring all 4 teams into the conference. From there the Big 12 could add 2 more teams if it wanted, becoming a 16 team conference and it already does have the Big 16 trademarked. Likely candidates could be Miami, Georgia Tech, VT, and even Maryland.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:09 PM

I find the comments of "the four major conferences" along with the general view of the ACC very interesting.

I get it though. WVU must have been irate when talk of the Big 12 interested in Pitt came up. Then WVU got rejected by both the SEC and ACC... and then Pitt and Syracuse ultimately end up in the ACC.

I'll say it one more time. I have nothing against WVU and hope it does well. I hoped that they could continue to play Pitt.

During the past few years I wanted the BE to get its act together, just as other fans did and the leadership at most BE schools, but that just wasn't going to happen. So now WVU is in the Big 12 and by indications, you are thrilled with it and that's great. I think Lousiville would also be a good edition to the conference. There are too many things that can happen if the SEC and Big 10 expand further. You believe what you read, but I'll believe it when it happens and if it does, so be it.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I find the comments of "the four major conferences" along with the general view of the ACC very interesting.

I get it though. WVU must have been irate when talk of the Big 12 interested in Pitt came up. Then WVU got rejected by both the SEC and ACC... and then Pitt and Syracuse ultimately end up in the ACC.

I'll say it one more time. I have nothing against WVU and hope it does well. I hoped that they could continue to play Pitt.

During the past few years I wanted the BE to get its act together, just as other fans did and the leadership at most BE schools, but that just wasn't going to happen. So now WVU is in the Big 12 and by indications, you are thrilled with it and that's great. I think Lousiville would also be a good edition to the conference. There are too many things that can happen if the SEC and Big 10 expand further. You believe what you read, but I'll believe it when it happens and if it does, so be it.
The BE did get back together it is called the ACC.

WVU has moved on to an actual Football conference, and at this point has no interest in joining the new Big E.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:43 AM

Once again, the conference with the most recent turmoil that nearly imploded its conference not named Big East, was Big 12.

The ACC is nowhere like that. Say what you want about FSU and Clemson, but it hasn't happened yet and the ACC can do well with or without them.

This might be where you repeat the rumors and say it like it's a done deal and to "get over it" but at this point, the Big 12 has had real tension and the ACC has has been expanding.

And once again, you can dismiss it all you want, but the collection of teams more or less fit in geography and university. the Big 12 does too, with the exception of Texas looming large over the conference with a bigger chair. Nebraska is a top brand and bolted. Missouri, while nothing great in Football, represents the two larger markets of the Big 12 footprint and couldn't wait to leave. Oklahoma wasn't happy at all either. How you can compare the ACC to the Big East, given the dynamics of the Big 12 is pretty staggering.

....Especially since WVU would have joined the ACC, which I tend think is where this ACC as Big East and unstable view ultimately comes from.

It's understandable to resent the ACC, given that.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:34 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,987 times
I agree with JoeP wholeheartedly. The Big XII is an awkward marriage of convenience for WVU. It will soon become apparent as you play your 6th Texas school of the season this year. WVU is culturally an Eastern school like Pitt, Maryland, and Penn State (itself playing in a Great Plains conference... ugh).

I think the point JoeP and I are making... is that we wish the best for WVU and understand the Mountaineers did what they had to do by jumping to the Big XII. There were no offers forthcoming from the ACC (the best fit despite the perception of WVU's academics), SEC or Big 10. We are unhappy that it came to this... with one of Pitt's great rivals cast to a Texas-dominated conference of all places... rupturing historic rivalries that make collegiate sports special.

I believe an enormous geographic and cultural outlier like WVU will probably not last long in the Big XII. When the next wave of conference realignment hits in a few years, WVU will find a more suitable home in an Eastern conference. The tumultuous Big XII may end up scattered to the four winds by PAC-12, SEC and Big 10.

Regardless of the ACC's mediocre football product over the past decade, it remains as one of the strongest and most high-profile of the conferences. It has the most elite collection of academic institutions (no doubt a barrier to WVU's inclusion despite a perfect fit otherwise). It captures many of the largest, most affluent markets along the East Coast. It has successfully destroyed its primary East Coast competitor, the Big East, while suffering no defections itself.

The ACC's addition of Pitt and Syracuse demonstrates the conference's savvy in terms of expansion. They did not go for "short term football success", but elected for two prestigious Northeastern academic institutions that would be a great cultural fit. Unlike WVU, which is a Tier 3 institution and the lowest ranked school in all of BCS football behind the likes of Mississippi State, Pitt is a top 20 public school and Syracuse is a highly-regarded private school. Both schools have legendary football legacies, and the potential to return to glory (Pitt has made great strides from its 1990s nadir despite stagnation the past couple seasons).

I wish WVU luck in their Texas endeavors, desire an immediate restoration of the Backyard Brawl series, and hope that the Mountaineers can rejoin their historic rivals in the Mega-ACC of the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown