Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 01:24 PM

671 posts, read 1,056,970 times

Advertisements

http://thedpost.com/State-proposes-$48M-in-Morgantow

This is surprising, but it seems that the state has decided to put some money into area roads, including West Run Rd, Green Bag Rd, Van Voorhis Rd and Beechurst Ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 01:33 PM

491 posts, read 609,870 times
It's not April 1st?

Old 10-12-2015, 01:33 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,356 times
They are probably tired of hearing us complain. But this is good news, I am glad to hear these projects will finally get done.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:16 PM

334 posts, read 495,641 times
Great news! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG overdue.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:06 PM

273 posts, read 382,008 times
We paved Beechurst. Now let's rip up that brand new pavement!

Old 10-13-2015, 05:17 PM

890 posts, read 1,052,573 times
its a start!

Old 10-13-2015, 06:43 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,450 times
This is great news. For once I am almost speechless I posted on the other road thread that we got $8 mil total this year and now $48 is being approved in advance! This should free up more money for our maintenance budget.

Maybe the powers that be are FINALLY starting to listen. Hopefully this keeps up. For two years plus I have been SO frustrated....Almost like I have been living (If anyone remembers) the Dr. Seuss cartoon; "Horton Hears a Who".

Maybe enough of us have shouted long enough that lawmakers in Charleston are asking, "What's that noise? I think it's coming from the direction of Morgantown....it sounds like a bunch of people collectively saying..."Our roads are falling apart, please come help!"" LOL

Old 10-19-2015, 03:39 AM

59 posts, read 101,313 times
I think they've finally come to understand that they have to accept that, whether they like it or not, the economic center of the state is moving. It's now the north and the panhandles that have all the money, the population and slowly the represenative power. So instead of p**ing off half the voting populous... I think a few have caught on that the north needs appeased.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:05 PM

191 posts, read 306,176 times
thank god. Im just sad this happened after i had to move

Old 11-01-2015, 12:08 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,450 times
I am bumping this thread up as a reminder of the District 4 meeting being held in Morgantown Monday 11/2/15. This is a great opportunity for citizens here to get their road concerns across to state officials. I am grateful Morgantown was chosen as the venue out of the 6 counties comprising this district.

The West Virginia Department of Transportation is soliciting public input for including these proposed projects — as well as other projects in the greater Morgantown-Monongalia metropolitan area — as part of the STIP at a public meeting to be held from 4-7 p.m. Monday, Nov. 2, at Mountain Line’s offices at 420 Dupont Road in Westover. The format for the public meeting is an open house walk-in meeting. Anyone interested in reviewing the projects and offering comments can stop by at any time during the meeting.

TheDPost.com - State proposes $48M in Morgantown-area road projects

One of the issues I have mentioned on other threads regarding our road problems is that Charleston is not necessarily the "enemy". We have LOTS of other issues....I ran across this article from the Preston County Journal about this very same meeting and their complaints about it being held here. Apparently they even called the DOH to "complain" about their choosing Morgantown as a venue.
I don't understand this especially since so many in Preston County travel to Morgantown to make their living here. Based on that it would even be convenient for so many of their residents to attend a meeting here after work. Every county needs adequate funding and I have respect for those in Preston, but I feel this is uncalled for under the circumstances.

State highway funding meetings great opportunity for public inpute despite location - The Exponent Telegram : Opinion

Many may not be aware but WV uses a somewhat outdated formula for funding....It goes by road miles vs. population. Preston County is sparsely populated at around 30K countywide, but has the most road miles in the state. Since they are part of our district their road miles alone give them almost one half of the budget for the ENTIRE district. The other five counties, Mon Marion, Harrison, Taylor and Doddridge have to split the rest.

Last edited by motownnative; 11-01-2015 at 01:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown