U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 11:22 AM

75 posts, read 63,900 times

Advertisements

Upshur County has a Pool Levy on the November Ballot. If passed then county residents could use the pool for free. What it would take to get this on the ballot for Mon County in the near future?

Upshur County Pool Levy May Allow County Residents To Pay Free F - WBOY - Clarksburg, Morgantown: News, Sports, Weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 08:54 AM

16 posts, read 19,672 times
Why would we want this on the ballot? Currently, the people that want to use the pool pay for it (with membership fees, daily passes, etc.). This levy would then make everyone pay for the pool costs but not everyone wants to or is able to use it. Why should I pay extra (via a levy) to allow someone else to use the pool for free when I have no interest in using it? Essentially you're making the entire county subsidize the cost of using the pool for the small group that actually uses it. That's a terrible idea, notwithstanding the fact that 6 other levies were just passed which increased every property owners taxes by tens to hundreds of dollars.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:57 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,070,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wv-morgantown View Post
Why would we want this on the ballot? Currently, the people that want to use the pool pay for it (with membership fees, daily passes, etc.). This levy would then make everyone pay for the pool costs but not everyone wants to or is able to use it. Why should I pay extra (via a levy) to allow someone else to use the pool for free when I have no interest in using it? Essentially you're making the entire county subsidize the cost of using the pool for the small group that actually uses it. That's a terrible idea, notwithstanding the fact that 6 other levies were just passed which increased every property owners taxes by tens to hundreds of dollars.
I agree, it doesn't make sense. Also, if we are willingly taxing ourselves more, I'd like for it to actually be beneficial for a large part of the area, not just to pay so someone doesn't have to pay to swim. Did upshur have a problem with people not using the pools, because that is definitely not the case here, we would need to build a ton more pools if it was free for all. Not to mention the new indoor pool facility they are building at Mylan is open and free to the public supposedly.

Also, there is no way any more levies (other than school) is getting passed for a while, let alone even put on the ballet.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:13 AM

Here's my reasoning:
- I thought that it was a good idea because not everyone can afford the fees to get into the pool.'
- With the health + obesity problems that we have in WV getting kids outside and into the pool would benefit society at large.
- The new pool at Mylan will not be as accessible as the 2 public pools. If a family doesn't have the resources to use the park pools what is the likelihood of them having the resources to transport their children to Mylan on a regular basis?
- I'm confident that the pool at Mylan will have limited availability especially if WVU is involved. Between various classes, swim meets, swim team practices, etc there will be limits on open swim periods. With WVU involvement you can be certain that they will get the lions share of the hours. Remember that WVU always acts in WVU's best interest. They always have and always will.
- The very people who currently can not afford to pay to get their children into the pool are already supporting thru their Mon County taxes.
- Finally - "Why should I pay extra (via a levy) to allow someone else to use the pool"? Everything's not always about you.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxhaney View Post
Here's my reasoning:
- I thought that it was a good idea because not everyone can afford the fees to get into the pool.'
- With the health + obesity problems that we have in WV getting kids outside and into the pool would benefit society at large.
- The new pool at Mylan will not be as accessible as the 2 public pools. If a family doesn't have the resources to use the park pools what is the likelihood of them having the resources to transport their children to Mylan on a regular basis?
- I'm confident that the pool at Mylan will have limited availability especially if WVU is involved. Between various classes, swim meets, swim team practices, etc there will be limits on open swim periods. With WVU involvement you can be certain that they will get the lions share of the hours. Remember that WVU always acts in WVU's best interest. They always have and always will.
- The very people who currently can not afford to pay to get their children into the pool are already supporting thru their Mon County taxes.
- Finally - "Why should I pay extra (via a levy) to allow someone else to use the pool"? Everything's not always about you.
There is bus service to there now.

I'm sure WVU will take up a lot of it, but it will be open to the public since it's not WVU's facility, it's Mylan parks facility. But I'm sure they will get first dibs on the reservations. Saying that though, in addition to the pools inside, there will be a splash park out front.

If they cannot afford the pool now, what makes you think they can afford to pay for another levy?

I wonder how upsher county will handle ferreting out county residents vs non residents since non residents would have to pay since its not fair nor right for one counties residents to pay for it while another counties residents use it for free. To truly patrol that it will get expensive fast. That would be the problem here in Mon County, you'd have the surrounding counties (within a certain distance) driving to use our free pools (especially Preston County).

My point about the ballot is, we just passed a bunch of new levies to pay for a bunch of stuff, people are already mad about it as it is, now this fall we will vote on the new school levy, even though it is already in affect, it's going to add to animosity that so many levies were voted on this year.

My only suggestion is if you really want this levy to be considered, contact one of the county commissioners, Tom Bloom seems to be the most active on facebook and he is normally pretty quick to respond about things.

Oh also, we are lucky (depending what you think of the levies) we got passed what we did, people are angrier about it now than they were before, but we lucked out passing that volunteer fire department levy, one other county in the state (can't remember which one) tried to pass the levy but it was defeated and now apparently some volunteer fire departments are shutting down. This is the type of levy I have no problem paying for, something that majorly impacts a large amount of people.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:29 PM

I wonder given that we already pay an annual tax for the Morgantown Fire Department + the additional tax(levy) for the volunteer fire departments if it would be more economical for the County to form a professional Fire Department eliminating the need for the volunteer units?

As far as you question ("If they cannot afford the pool now, what makes you think they can afford to pay for another levy? ") - aren't the levies placed on property? If you don't own anything you're not paying the levy. My original intent of the post was an idea to improve the lives of the children of Morgantown/Mon County.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I wonder given that we already pay an annual tax for the Morgantown Fire Department + the additional tax(levy) for the volunteer fire departments if it would be more economical for the County to form a professional Fire Department eliminating the need for the volunteer units?

As far as you question ("If they cannot afford the pool now, what makes you think they can afford to pay for another levy? ") - aren't the levies placed on property? If you don't own anything you're not paying the levy. My original intent of the post was an idea to improve the lives of the children of Morgantown/Mon County.
Makes one wonder. I do wonder how many volunteer fire departments there are in the county.

Don't the new levies also go on personal property like cars? I admittedly haven't looked at my car taxes yet, lol.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:15 AM

16 posts, read 19,672 times
Quote:
Here's my reasoning:

1. Then feel free to donate your own money or start a fundraiser for those that can't afford the very reasonable fees which fund the pool. A pool is a luxury good and minimal tangible external benefits to the community at large when people use it as compared to say public education or public transportation. And someone of these individuals/families probably can't afford to purchase their own car/truck. So then why not have a levy where everyone pays so that vehicles can be purchased and given (or loaned) to those who can't afford them?

2. I disagree. Unless you're advocating the levy be used for free swimming lessons, there's no proof that allowing people to use the pool for free and ride down a waterslide or jump off a diving board or other activities would have any measureable impact would reduce Mon County's health + obesity issues.

3. As was raised in another comment, if these people currently cannot afford to use the pool, then how are they going to pay the additional park levy? Assuming we're not talking about homeless individuals, these individuals live in a property somewhere which will have its taxes increased. Now they may not own the property & thus may not be paying the levy directly, but their landlord is and he/she is the one who will raise the rent for the property to cover the cost of all these levies which will then come out of the pocket of the individuals who currently can't afford to use to the pool.

4. It's not all about me. It's about the idea of making everyone pay for something that only a small percentage of the population would experience a direct benefit from and which would have almost no indirect benefit to society, unlike things such as public education or public transportation or libraries which do have some measurable indirect benefit to society. Why should a disabled retired individual who is 70 years old (who can't swim and has not interest in using the pool) pay more in property taxes (or in rent) just so that some small # of people can use it for free? I'm sorry but that makes no sense from my viewpoint.

5. Finally, with WVU moving its teams to the new facility at Mylan park, this should hopefully free up some more availability at the pool currently located in the Natatorium for more public, although that is just wishful thinking on my part.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:18 AM

9,415 posts, read 11,509,228 times
I don't think The University will use the new facilities for most practice sessions. The Natatorium will still be used. The new facilities will be used for meets and will be West Virginia's only Olympic quality facility. Public access is guaranteed by the new bus service to Mylan Park. I believe reasonable fees need to be charged for use. There is little logic in having folks pay taxes to support something they won't be using. Payment should be proportionate to use.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:33 PM

74 posts, read 38,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wv-morgantown View Post
1. Then feel free to donate your own money or start a fundraiser for those that can't afford the very reasonable fees which fund the pool. A pool is a luxury good and minimal tangible external benefits to the community at large when people use it as compared to say public education or public transportation. And someone of these individuals/families probably can't afford to purchase their own car/truck. So then why not have a levy where everyone pays so that vehicles can be purchased and given (or loaned) to those who can't afford them?

2. I disagree. Unless you're advocating the levy be used for free swimming lessons, there's no proof that allowing people to use the pool for free and ride down a waterslide or jump off a diving board or other activities would have any measureable impact would reduce Mon County's health + obesity issues.

3. As was raised in another comment, if these people currently cannot afford to use the pool, then how are they going to pay the additional park levy? Assuming we're not talking about homeless individuals, these individuals live in a property somewhere which will have its taxes increased. Now they may not own the property & thus may not be paying the levy directly, but their landlord is and he/she is the one who will raise the rent for the property to cover the cost of all these levies which will then come out of the pocket of the individuals who currently can't afford to use to the pool.

4. It's not all about me. It's about the idea of making everyone pay for something that only a small percentage of the population would experience a direct benefit from and which would have almost no indirect benefit to society, unlike things such as public education or public transportation or libraries which do have some measurable indirect benefit to society. Why should a disabled retired individual who is 70 years old (who can't swim and has not interest in using the pool) pay more in property taxes (or in rent) just so that some small # of people can use it for free? I'm sorry but that makes no sense from my viewpoint.

5. Finally, with WVU moving its teams to the new facility at Mylan park, this should hopefully free up some more availability at the pool currently located in the Natatorium for more public, although that is just wishful thinking on my part.
People like pxhaney would rather point a gun at others through the political process than use their own money for causes they believe in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or