Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2017, 12:53 PM

632 posts, read 832,260 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard any updates on a new Mon bridge to connect to West Ridge? The biggest issue with this whole development is going to be ease of access from downtown

Edit: I know about the Collins Ferry/West Run/Van Voorhis project. Just wondering if the downtown bridge got completely tabled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 01:01 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I haven't heard a thing yet. Do you know which local brewery will be building up there? It's certainly going to be interesting. Some might criticize this due to a paucity of clothing stores, but I see it differently. I believe that having not too many of those is a good move given buying trends online and so forth. A focus on eateries, service industry, and hotels would provide a more durable group of tenants. A lot of retail we see in operation today will not survive long term in today's market place.
I agree. Clothing shops are going out of business at a much faster rate nationally. Other retail will have a better chance. It is so much easier to shop for clothing online. Particularly when searching for sale items. All you do is put in your size and it lets you know whether or not it is available. Also if a store is out of something locally it's not an issue online. It will just ship from a warehouse or store from across the country that has that item available. Many offer free shipping sometimes and Macy's offers always free online returns.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:29 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I haven't heard a thing yet. Do you know which local brewery will be building up there? It's certainly going to be interesting. Some might criticize this due to a paucity of clothing stores, but I see it differently. I believe that having not too many of those is a good move given buying trends online and so forth. A focus on eateries, service industry, and hotels would provide a more durable group of tenants. A lot of retail we see in operation today will not survive long term in today's market place.
I also agree with this. Here in the eastern panhandle, we're getting new chain restaurants and hotels all the time. People complain everytime that "it's the last thing we need, more feeding places for a miserably overweight county" (oh yeah, they are THAT cruel and closed-minded here).

What they don't understand is because of our close proximity to major routes like I-81 and heavy tourist areas nearby (Shepherdstown, Harpers Ferry, Antietam) chain restaurants are going to thrive and help the local economy far more than clothing stores. I feel Morgantown area is in a similar economic situation. Not to mention the trend towards online shopping as motownnative said.

Going back to WestRidge, since Cheat Canyon Brewing Co. is locating by Hyundai that opens up the mystery full service restaurant for further speculation. Hopefully it is something like Cheesecake Factory, Bahama Breeze, etc. and not something like Golden Corral (they will also build up to 8,000 sf in high traffic areas). I like buffets, but that would be a major letdown.

This development keeps getting more exciting by the week!

Old 07-04-2017, 06:30 AM

193 posts, read 281,864 times
I love it when these site plans get released. I guess its the nosey side of me that enjoys seeing and guess how these sites will be layed out and trying to figure out what is going in. That large restaurant is intriguing. As mentioned I really hope its not a mass buffet like Golden Coral or Ryan's. Cheescake factory would be great for this area. BJs would be nice as well. Will probably end up being Quaker Steak or Logan's. Meh...

Old 07-04-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchunk View Post
I love it when these site plans get released. I guess its the nosey side of me that enjoys seeing and guess how these sites will be layed out and trying to figure out what is going in. That large restaurant is intriguing. As mentioned I really hope its not a mass buffet like Golden Coral or Ryan's. Cheescake factory would be great for this area. BJs would be nice as well. Will probably end up being Quaker Steak or Logan's. Meh...
Quaker Steak is a slight possibly, although I've read the company has been experiencing economic difficulties lately. Logan's usually doesn't build that large but they may since it will eventually be a high volume area. Regardless I'm hoping for neither here considering the potential of this development.

I wholeheartedly agree, there is something really exciting about this phase of development. I love when a new site plan is released and coming on here to throw around ideas with everyone. It's fascinating, and has almost convinced me at times to switch careers to commercial realty.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:55 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,227,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
Quaker Steak is a slight possibly, although I've read the company has been experiencing economic difficulties lately. Logan's usually doesn't build that large but they may since it will eventually be a high volume area. Regardless I'm hoping for neither here considering the potential of this development.

I wholeheartedly agree, there is something really exciting about this phase of development. I love when a new site plan is released and coming on here to throw around ideas with everyone. It's fascinating, and has almost convinced me at times to switch careers to commercial realty.
I hope it isn't Logans, was never impressed with them (and aren't they just emerging from bankruptcy?). While I would love a Quaker Steak, if they build anywhere, their best location is one of the two pads (next to the Courtyard) across from the baseball stadium. A Quaker Steak there would make the most sense. I think Texas Roadhouse is out of the question (even though it is a smaller restaurant than their normal ones) since they just remodeled the exterior of their current place. After you mentioned the BJ's, the more I look at it the more I think it might be a BJ's. If the drawing is truly accurate, the restaurant will have one of the turn style doors sticking out a little bit, which BJ's has.

Does anyone know how large of buildings Buca di Beppo builds (I'd love one here but I don't think that will happen)?

It is amazing to think about all of the potential development here over the next couple years.

On the UTC side alone there are two available pads for free standing restaurants next to the courtyard (not counting los and the Japanese fusion steak house that are under construction), plus that 7 acre pad above the courtyard. Then there are the 3-4 pads that look designed to have fast food by the Wendy's and Panda Express (maybe this is where Waffle House is going to go). Not to mention the two hotels (one is built, but we will see if the second one gets built) across the road from that area and the new strip center put in next to the hotels that is supposed to have food offerings on both sides of it.

Then on the WestRidge side, you have WestRidge Crossing (which is the drawing above and the area currently being talked about). Then above this area you have all of the medical facilities on the left (who knows what WVU Medicine has planned) and on the right is WestRidge Commons. West Ridge Commons is supposed to have 380,000+ square feet of development and have a distinctive design (as nice or nicer than Suncrest Town Center supposedly). In the drawings that were out, before they removed them, it showed at least 4 good sized free standing restaurants and now there is supposed to be some kind of entertainment components included in this shopping center. To the right of this whole area (easily seen on the highway) is WestRidge Corporate park with its 4 pads meant for offices, including the 250,000 square feet regional corporate headquarters. Behind the corporate park is the WestRidge Business park, which is 4-5 pads for lite manufacturing and other offices. Slightly to the left of there (directly behind WestRidge Commons) is one good sized pad in a no mans land essentially. Then further to the left of there (behind the mall) is WestRidge Commerce, which is supposed to be mainly for lite manufacturing and distribution centers (even though a brewery is going in on one of the pads), this area has a pad that is almost 100 acres so they are supposedly hoping for something special with it. It really is amazing to think about all of the development, especially the diverse amount of development that is planned over the next couple years......I just really hope it pans out.

What I bolded above, I completely feel the same way (if you couldn't tell lol). I cannot wait for stuff to get built and a true design plan/layout for the entire WestRidge area to be released.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:08 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchunk View Post
Logan's does have excellent meatloaf though. There are already a couple local places that have good meatloaf, but they do that up right at Logan's.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:19 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
I hope it isn't Logans, was never impressed with them (and aren't they just emerging from bankruptcy?). While I would love a Quaker Steak, if they build anywhere, their best location is one of the two pads (next to the Courtyard) across from the baseball stadium. A Quaker Steak there would make the most sense. I think Texas Roadhouse is out of the question (even though it is a smaller restaurant than their normal ones) since they just remodeled the exterior of their current place. After you mentioned the BJ's, the more I look at it the more I think it might be a BJ's. If the drawing is truly accurate, the restaurant will have one of the turn style doors sticking out a little bit, which BJ's has.

Does anyone know how large of buildings Buca di Beppo builds (I'd love one here but I don't think that will happen)?

It is amazing to think about all of the potential development here over the next couple years.

On the UTC side alone there are two available pads for free standing restaurants next to the courtyard (not counting los and the Japanese fusion steak house that are under construction), plus that 7 acre pad above the courtyard. Then there are the 3-4 pads that look designed to have fast food by the Wendy's and Panda Express (maybe this is where Waffle House is going to go). Not to mention the two hotels (one is built, but we will see if the second one gets built) across the road from that area and the new strip center put in next to the hotels that is supposed to have food offerings on both sides of it.

Then on the WestRidge side, you have WestRidge Crossing (which is the drawing above and the area currently being talked about). Then above this area you have all of the medical facilities on the left (who knows what WVU Medicine has planned) and on the right is WestRidge Commons. West Ridge Commons is supposed to have 380,000+ square feet of development and have a distinctive design (as nice or nicer than Suncrest Town Center supposedly). In the drawings that were out, before they removed them, it showed at least 4 good sized free standing restaurants and now there is supposed to be some kind of entertainment components included in this shopping center. To the right of this whole area (easily seen on the highway) is WestRidge Corporate park with its 4 pads meant for offices, including the 250,000 square feet regional corporate headquarters. Behind the corporate park is the WestRidge Business park, which is 4-5 pads for lite manufacturing and other offices. Slightly to the left of there (directly behind WestRidge Commons) is one good sized pad in a no mans land essentially. Then further to the left of there (behind the mall) is WestRidge Commerce, which is supposed to be mainly for lite manufacturing and distribution centers (even though a brewery is going in on one of the pads), this area has a pad that is almost 100 acres so they are supposedly hoping for something special with it. It really is amazing to think about all of the development, especially the diverse amount of development that is planned over the next couple years......I just really hope it pans out.

What I bolded above, I completely feel the same way (if you couldn't tell lol). I cannot wait for stuff to get built and a true design plan/layout for the entire WestRidge area to be released.
In a city like Morgantown, there is a lot of competition in the restaurant business. Much of the odds of success seems to be based on location. Few restaurants fail here, and most are busy most of the time, but every once in awhile a good restaurant fails in spite of the high demand here. Apparently, the latest one is Yesterdays. One thing I've noticed though is that any of those located in the primary shopping areas... UTC, Suncrest, Pierpont, seem generally busy and thrive. I think you could put anything in WestRidge and it would do well.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post

In regard to Buca di Beppo, this source says they're between 7,000-8,000 square feet (as of 2007).

A Few of Our Favorite Things: Fine Dining, Specialty Apparel Retailers Disclose Growth Plans - CoStar Group

So, this is definitely a possibility! I love Buca and am confident it would succeed in the Morgantown area especially with its family-style model. There is tons of potential with this entire area and my guess is we'll be on here for the next several years discussing the progress.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:49 PM

255 posts, read 391,366 times
[qQUOTE=WVUmatt;48725610]I hope it isn't Logans, was never impressed with them (and aren't they just emerging from bankruptcy?). While I would love a Quaker Steak, if they build anywhere, their best location is one of the two pads (next to the Courtyard) across from the baseball stadium. A Quaker Steak there would make the most sense. I think Texas Roadhouse is out of the question (even though it is a smaller restaurant than their normal ones) since they just remodeled the exterior of their current place. After you mentioned the BJ's, the more I look at it the more I think it might be a BJ's. If the drawing is truly accurate, the restaurant will have one of the turn style doors sticking out a little bit, which BJ's has.

What I bolded above, I completely feel the same way (if you couldn't tell lol). I cannot wait for stuff to get built and a true design plan/layout for the entire WestRidge area to be released.[/quote]

Re: restaurants with revolving doors--another one that has those is Bonefish Grill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown