Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 07:14 PM

219 posts, read 247,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
Well let's hope some things announced and started soon. Starting soon means maybe something open by the end of the year but I would say at this point mid 2020 for most things. I would think if some of the office buildings are to be done by the end of the year that those companies would be announcing soon.So far i've only heard of Leidos coming. Still holding out hope that it's not just companies moving from other parts of town and we get a few thousand good paying jobs. I'm holding out hope. Still confused at this late stage how things keep changing and it still seems a lot of uncommitted companies and stores. The area listed as 4B on the Westridge is now looking like shopping. Wasn't that WVU property in earlier drawings. Both 4A properties I thought were the original shopping but they are no longer showing anything.Has anyone heard who the one pad in Gateway was sold to up by Hobby Lobby.I wonder if they plan on having all roads up their done and open by summer.How has the new swim center coming along at Mylan I would love to see new pictures of it.The western end of the county desperately needs opened up with 4 lane growth to the Ohio to stimulate growth also but that's a pipe dream now. We can't even fix or pave the roads here now. I still think a toll could be a good option.
I flew my drone up there in November. It looked awesome. I'll probably try to get out there again in the next few months. People seem to really like the construction update videos.

https://youtu.be/bgvJMFwbslU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 10:53 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,356 times
Mall Update:

"Dunham’s Sports has agreed to join the lineup at Morgantown Mall replacing space previously occupied by Elder Beerman (Bon-Ton Stores)."

Dunham's is currently located next to the old mall (I would assume they will be closing their current location). No other announcements that I have seen have come out from last nights financial results from the Washington Prime Group.

The Kohl's and Burlington Coat Factory rumor could still be true with them splitting up Belk but it makes you wonder why it wasn't announced (and if I were either company, I'd want to locate in West Ridge instead of the mall). According to their supplemental information provided with their 4Q financials results (ending Dec 31), nothing has been done with the Belk location (other than identifying that they want to put in another big box retail) and it is still listed as "active planning". The Sears location is still listed as "evaluating options" which is their status right after a place closes. Regarding Kohl's and Burlington though, there doesn't even appear to be a letter of intent as of Dec 31 since other stores at other malls have a status of letter of intent. Dunham's has a status of "lease out for signature".

If I were Washington Prime Group, I'd get Kohl's and Burlington into the old Belk store if possible, and then offer Sears to Costco or BJ's for essentially free if they were willing to renovate it (they'd need to raise the ceiling), get a well known family friendly restaurant into the old Garfield's location (I think that was the name of it), offer reduced rent to AMC (if the mall owns the space) if they are wiling to renovate, work with FedEx, UPS and Amazon to set up package pickup and drop off lockers inside of the mall, and then work my through renovating the entire mall (new paint, new tiles, new skylights, new lighting). I'd also talk to the West Ridge group and see if they would be interested in brining the mall into the footprint of West Ridge and renaming the mall "The West Ridge Mall" or "The Mall at West Ridge" or something like that. I think both would benefit from having the mall as part of West Ridge proper. Side note, if that were to some how happen (adding the mall to West Ridge), I'd also love to see UTC rebranded as West Ridge-East (or something to that affect) since that whole area is going to be one large interconnected area in the next couple years. This would help sell that entire area as one united and branded front.

Last edited by WVUmatt; 02-21-2019 at 12:00 PM..

Old 02-21-2019, 11:02 AM

456 posts, read 602,139 times
I haven't ever seen a Dunham's in a space that large and its a very disappointing announcement. It does nothing for the mall viability in the long run unless this location is way different from the others I have visited. They have closed a few locations in the last few years and almost any other sporting goods chain would have been better!!!!!

Old 02-21-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I haven't ever seen a Dunham's in a space that large and its a very disappointing announcement. It does nothing for the mall viability in the long run unless this location is way different from the others I have visited. They have closed a few locations in the last few years and almost any other sporting goods chain would have been better!!!!!
No kidding, they are going to be near Dick's and Sportsman's Warehouse. I can't imagine it will do well compared to those two. Also, you can all but guarantee that other "sporting goods" store in the mall will be leaving now (though no loss there).

I will always think that they should just bulldoze the mall and sell the flat land to West Ridge. Washington Prime Group is an awful management company for the mall.

Last edited by WVUmatt; 02-21-2019 at 11:37 AM..

Old 02-21-2019, 12:56 PM

Burlington and Kohls aren't going to the mall unless they are getting a great deal. I bet they are in Westridge. Dunham's won't last 3 years and we can only hope they can draw in a major department store and some type of theme restaurant or a recreation type place. Maybe a indoor water park.There are still plenty of stores doing well but like previously mentioned the Morgantown mall is poorly run and kept up.

Old 02-22-2019, 04:55 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,509,022 times
Quote:
Burlington and Kohls aren't going to the mall unless they are getting a great deal. I bet they are in Westridge. Dunham's won't last 3 years and we can only hope they can draw in a major department store and some type of theme restaurant or a recreation type place. Maybe a indoor water park.There are still plenty of stores doing well but like previously mentioned the Morgantown mall is poorly run and kept up.
I wonder what it would take to get one of these to Morgantown:

https://www.greatwolf.com/

Get a piece of land with interstate visibility, easy on/off the highway, market hard to the Pittsburgh area (I don't see anything like it there) and you are set. I know people in the Eastern Panhandle who take weekend trips to the Williamsburg, Virginia location and get rooms in the winter solely for the indoor water park.

While Morgantown may not be the tourist destination that Williamsburg, Sandusky, Colorado Springs, etc. are, I think there is enough of an existing draw of people from out of town and state that would pay a little extra for an indoor water park. Especially to keep the kids entertained during these crappy, cold winters.

Just thinking out loud again.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
I wonder what it would take to get one of these to Morgantown:

https://www.greatwolf.com/

Get a piece of land with interstate visibility, easy on/off the highway, market hard to the Pittsburgh area (I don't see anything like it there) and you are set. I know people in the Eastern Panhandle who take weekend trips to the Williamsburg, Virginia location and get rooms in the winter solely for the indoor water park.

While Morgantown may not be the tourist destination that Williamsburg, Sandusky, Colorado Springs, etc. are, I think there is enough of an existing draw of people from out of town and state that would pay a little extra for an indoor water park. Especially to keep the kids entertained during these crappy, cold winters.

Just thinking out loud again.
I really like this idea!

Old 02-22-2019, 09:54 AM

Great Wolf would be great anywhere in the state and i've often wondered why some town in this state hasn't tried to attract them. There was talk of a indoor water park in Wheeling and Weston at one time but both fell through. It would draw from hundreds of miles and a major draw to the area.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:19 PM

250 posts, read 331,647 times
No new news...spring of 2019. Incredible.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:33 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Retail is mostly on life support everywhere, so I think it would be surprising to see a lot of new announcements in that regard. WestRidge has great potential as mixed use though, and they could offer up more housing options there as well as promote light industry. There is a lot of very usable land there near the Interstate, and it is only a matter of time before somebody seizes the opportunity to turn it into something profitable. The proximity to Pittsburgh allows for future options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown