Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 06:44 PM

193 posts, read 281,845 times

Advertisements

Brockway Ave. That whole stretch from the walnut Street bridge to the Dominion post is a slum. Chestnut Brewing and Beertopia can't even salvage that stretch of road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 11:08 PM

286 posts, read 348,441 times
I love Morgantown and WVU but most of the city is an eyesore, but I have we can beautify it

Old 02-23-2017, 10:14 AM

83 posts, read 100,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Of course, every one of these objections could be overcome by saying its this, that makes the old charm & character of M-town since the 70s-90s.

I have to disagree old and run down does not equate to "old charm & character". Like the fine property at 3511 University Ave in Star City (Corner of University and Boyers Ave). It appears vacant and seems to have been vacant for years. Now if it was occupied and appeared to serve some purpose then maybe it would have some "old charm & character" but now it just appears to be a blighted eyesore.

Another example is 2991 University Ave former home of Two and a Fry. How could that be a useful property? It would probably be more profitable if someone tore it down and used it as a parking lot for WVU Football Games.

I would like to see some of the old properties preserved and turned into productive businesses but some people seem to have an interest in keeping old vacant useless properties with no interest of them contributing to society. They're like a smelly lazy relative who only wants to sleep on your couch all day. Eventually you just get tired of looking at them.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:16 AM

632 posts, read 831,931 times
As others have said, just about the whole city. I love Morgantown but it really is an ugly town

Old 02-23-2017, 11:28 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pxhaney View Post
I have to disagree old and run down does not equate to "old charm & character". Like the fine property at 3511 University Ave in Star City (Corner of University and Boyers Ave). It appears vacant and seems to have been vacant for years. Now if it was occupied and appeared to serve some purpose then maybe it would have some "old charm & character" but now it just appears to be a blighted eyesore.

Another example is 2991 University Ave former home of Two and a Fry. How could that be a useful property? It would probably be more profitable if someone tore it down and used it as a parking lot for WVU Football Games.

I would like to see some of the old properties preserved and turned into productive businesses but some people seem to have an interest in keeping old vacant useless properties with no interest of them contributing to society. They're like a smelly lazy relative who only wants to sleep on your couch all day. Eventually you just get tired of looking at them.
The last part of your comment hits the nail on the head. I inquired about the former Shop and Save in Westover and the owners refuse to entertain any purchase offer. Only lease agreements. No offense to the owners, but no one in their right mind is going to lease a 30k+ sqft structure that is melting back into the ground to run a real business. They need to make improvements to or replace the building, which is only feasible to do as an owner of the property. From that experience alone, I figure that there are many other similar circumstances associated with the other eyesores throughout town.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:08 PM

56 posts, read 70,384 times
The winter is the worst because you have no green to brighten up the place. The whole town is covered in dirt with all of the diesel trucks running through it all day long. Every building, road and sidewalk needs a good washing. The Brockway stretch is disgusting, gravel is always on the sides of the road, the really nice block retaining wall is falling apart and covered with dirt across from the park on Brockway. The channel below it is filled with leaves and dirt. The big giant power plant is obviously a huge sore sight and dirties every window in town. Some things have improved though and that's important to recognize but its an old town, with lots or crappy buildings and slumlords that code enforcement does not see the need to address. Obviously Sunnyside has improved, South Park has improved over the last 10 years as it started to transition out of rental properties back to single family homes although for some reason about 20% of the homeowners are content to let their homes remain un kept, in need of paint, crap all over the porches et all. Suncrest is nice as is all of Evansdale really, as a whole I would say the most impactful event to help clean up the city would be the closing of the power plant. Less trucks going though Brockway and downtown making both areas more desirable to live and shop, cleaner air, cleaner homes and windows, ect. All that being said, I love Morgantown.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:34 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Like any city, there are run down parts that need attention. In Morgantown, they are mostly the student slums. The rest of the city is just fine, and with the amazing array (for a town this size) of activities, clubs, and eateries available, it is a nice place to live. That's why it is growing and prosperous.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:17 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,227,526 times
While we talk about the eyesores around town, there really is some great views of the town. If anyone hasn't done it yet, go to the new courtyard hotel up at UTC and go stand on their back patio on a clear night. The view is absolutely amazing and the town looks fantastic.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:23 AM

354 posts, read 505,695 times
I agree wholeheartedly with everything on the first page. I will also add the frack pad and pipe yard across the river make a beautiful backdrop as you're coming into town. Also all of Westover is an eyesore.

The worst offender is definitely beechurst. The main drag that is used by every visitor that comes to town looks like a bombed out war zone. But there's no point in doing anything if you can assume that stretch as a whole and make a cohesive plan.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:37 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,821 times
Hoo boy, there are some choices here. I'll focus on downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods, so here's my top 5:

1. Beechurst between and including Knapp Hall and Walnut St. Specifically Vic's. There's just no getting around this. Right at a busy intersection, adjacent to the PRT, and direct access to the rail trail, the river, and the park.

2. Beechurst between 4th and 6th Sts. Less blight than #1 thanks to recent demolitions, but same missed opportunities with the trail and the river. Oh, and there's a hulking power plant, too.

3. Brockway Corridor, specifically between Chestnut Brew Works and the old Valley Crossing.

4. Deckers Creek Trail between the University and High St bridges. This should be a beautiful extension of the riverfront park (and marketed as such), but is instead a shady, refuse-laden property with a few crumbling houses perched above. If I had the time, I would make a greenway master plan that properly extended the riverfront park all the way to the planned ped bridge near Kingwood St. So so so much can be done with that area.

5. The rest of the Wharf District, specifically between Hurley/Clay/Donley/University. Let's tout our new office buildings, fantastic hotel, al fresco dining on the trail and river, but not do anything about the couple of houses, vacant lots, and hardware store/pipe yard right next door. Because that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown