Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 06:24 PM

108 posts, read 120,352 times

Advertisements

WV MetroNews – Mylan slashing non-union positions in Morgantown, other locations

This news is a couple months old. Just learned about it today from someone who was working within the company. I didn't see anyone report on it here, which is where I now get my Morgantown news.

Figured I'd post it in case other people didn't hear.

The cuts could be because of the fines imposed due to the epipen fiasco, or maybe heather needed another 10-20% raise this year and firing 10% of the workforce was the only way to make that happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 06:34 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,225,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripBro View Post
WV MetroNews – Mylan slashing non-union positions in Morgantown, other locations

This news is a couple months old. Just learned about it today from someone who was working within the company. I didn't see anyone report on it here, which is where I now get my Morgantown news.

Figured I'd post it in case other people didn't hear.

The cuts could be because of the fines imposed due to the epipen fiasco, or maybe heather needed another 10-20% raise this year and firing 10% of the workforce was the only way to make that happen.
I don't know if there is an exact number on how many ended up taking the buy out or were laid off. Supposedly, the expected layoffs were company wide, they were trying to cut some of the "extra" positions across the whole company due to all of the company acquisitions they have been doing.

I think a couple months ago they ended up shutting down a manufacturing facility they acquired near Chicago so I'm sure that helped with their numbers.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:29 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,035,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
I don't know if there is an exact number on how many ended up taking the buy out or were laid off. Supposedly, the expected layoffs were company wide, they were trying to cut some of the "extra" positions across the whole company due to all of the company acquisitions they have been doing.

I think a couple months ago they ended up shutting down a manufacturing facility they acquired near Chicago so I'm sure that helped with their numbers.
Word I'm getting is this is what is happening. They also acquired a couple foreign companies, and used that as an opportunity to have salaried workers in similar positions as those in the foreign companies compete with the foreign workers to keep their jobs. If the foreigners were willing to do the work cheaper, locals were given severance packages and the foreigners were moved here to take the jobs using special visas that were more likely to be given out before the current administration took office.

It is a buttwipe tactic that has seemingly been employed by large companies more frequently during the past 8 years as a result of government policies that traded American middle class prosperity for foreign good will and profits for the wealthy. Disney, at one point a few years ago, laid off 400 American tech workers and forced the Americans to train their foreign replacements, or they wouldn't be certified for severance pay and unemployment benefits.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:26 AM

671 posts, read 1,056,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Word I'm getting is this is what is happening. They also acquired a couple foreign companies, and used that as an opportunity to have salaried workers in similar positions as those in the foreign companies compete with the foreign workers to keep their jobs. If the foreigners were willing to do the work cheaper, locals were given severance packages and the foreigners were moved here to take the jobs using special visas that were more likely to be given out before the current administration took office.

It is a buttwipe tactic that has seemingly been employed by large companies more frequently during the past 8 years as a result of government policies that traded American middle class prosperity for foreign good will and profits for the wealthy. Disney, at one point a few years ago, laid off 400 American tech workers and forced the Americans to train their foreign replacements, or they wouldn't be certified for severance pay and unemployment benefits.
If you don't like what Mylan is doing/has done, don't blame the past White House administration. Look to the Mylan administration. I know that can be tough when you're so in love with Morgantown that its institutions cannot be seen to do any wrong...

Old 04-20-2017, 08:21 AM

334 posts, read 495,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
If you don't like what Mylan is doing/has done, don't blame the past White House administration. Look to the Mylan administration. I know that can be tough when you're so in love with Morgantown that its institutions cannot be seen to do any wrong...
I'd say the bigger blame should fall squarely on Joe Manchin who as governor of West Virginia passed laws that favored Mylan and his daughter Heather Bresch.

1.) He reduced corporate tax income from 9 to 6.5 percent. WV lost upwards of $300-400 million of precious revenue needed to balance the budget. Which is why WV is in the shape that it's been in the past few years.

2.) He was responsible for forcing hospitals to giving prescriptions to generic drug (such as Mylan) instead of over the counter.

3.) He and his daughter were leading the way to help draft reforms in Congress to speed up generic-drug approval by funding more FDA inspections of generic-drug factories overseas.

So all of what then Governor Manchin did was to help himself and Heather make big big money at the expense of others.

Greed will overtake Mylan (if it hasn't already) and EVERYONE in Morgantown will suffer because of it.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:23 AM

Heather Bresch needs to go! She is killing Mylan with her greed and is a cancer as a CEO.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:42 AM

51 posts, read 56,035 times
Quote:
Heather Bresch needs to go! She is killing Mylan with her greed and is a cancer as a CEO.
Someone should look into how she came to her position (other than being Joe Manchin's daughter). There's a story there, but not for this message board.

Working for Mylan is not all it's cracked up to be. Know a lot of people who worked there and briefly worked there myself a decade or so ago. Work-life balance doesn't exist. They may give a lot of vacation time but good luck trying to actually use it. 2:00 AM, 3:00 AM meetings and you're still expected to be there until 5:00 PM (or later). Executives from Bresch on down are quite full of themselves and have little regard for their employees. The initial response to the EpiPen mess is the perfect example of how out of touch they are.

I think it's better if you're in the union because they can't take advantage of you as easily, but if you're salaried non-union, good luck.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:20 AM

6,141 posts, read 3,369,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abwvu1 View Post
I'd say the bigger blame should fall squarely on Joe Manchin who as governor of West Virginia passed laws that favored Mylan and his daughter Heather Bresch.

1.) He reduced corporate tax income from 9 to 6.5 percent. WV lost upwards of $300-400 million of precious revenue needed to balance the budget. Which is why WV is in the shape that it's been in the past few years.

2.) He was responsible for forcing hospitals to giving prescriptions to generic drug (such as Mylan) instead of over the counter.

3.) He and his daughter were leading the way to help draft reforms in Congress to speed up generic-drug approval by funding more FDA inspections of generic-drug factories overseas.

So all of what then Governor Manchin did was to help himself and Heather make big big money at the expense of others.

Greed will overtake Mylan (if it hasn't already) and EVERYONE in Morgantown will suffer because of it.
BBM~ to correct the record.

Joe Manchin is actually a Senator in the Federal Congress in Washington DC.

Jim Justice is the actual Governor of West Virginia..

Office of the Governor
Quote:
In May 2015, Jim announced his campaign to seek the office of governor of West Virginia. After 19 months on the campaign trail sharing his vision for transforming West Virginia, Jim was elected the 36th governor of West Virginia. He won with a broad coalition of support from Democrats, Republicans, and Independents.
Gov Jim Justice Charleston West Virginia News

Old 04-20-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
BBM~ to correct the record.

Joe Manchin is actually a Senator in the Federal Congress in Washington DC.

Jim Justice is the actual Governor of West Virginia..

Office of the Governor

Gov Jim Justice Charleston West Virginia News
Seriously? I find it hilarious a non WV citizen comes in and tries to correct WV citizens about who was a governor.

Joe Manchin was a two term governor before Earl Ray (Earl Ray was the governor before Jim Justice) and Manchin left the governors office to become a Senator.

Our governors go like this Manchin for two terms (became senator), then Early Ray (returned to whatever), then Jim Justice (current governor, elected in Nov 2016).

Manchin's daughter is Heather Bresch, there was a huge scandal with Machin (while governor) who forced WVU to award her an unearned degree. She then went on to start at the bottom at Mylan but quickly "worked" (dubious ways) her way up to become CEO.

Last edited by WVUmatt; 04-20-2017 at 09:34 AM..

Old 04-20-2017, 10:12 AM

334 posts, read 495,577 times
Quote:
Seriously? I find it hilarious a non WV citizen comes in and tries to correct WV citizens about who was a governor.

Joe Manchin was a two term governor before Earl Ray (Earl Ray was the governor before Jim Justice) and Manchin left the governors office to become a Senator.

Our governors go like this Manchin for two terms (became senator), then Early Ray (returned to whatever), then Jim Justice (current governor, elected in Nov 2016).

Manchin's daughter is Heather Bresch, there was a huge scandal with Machin (while governor) who forced WVU to award her an unearned degree. She then went on to start at the bottom at Mylan but quickly "worked" (dubious ways) her way up to become CEO.
Thanks Matt.

She might be a Russian Twitter bot for all we know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown