Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 11:07 PM

250 posts, read 331,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvu2016 View Post
Does anyone know when the hotel Morgan renovations are supposed to be done?
Sounds like December of this year.

https://www.dominionpost.com/2019/11...december-2020/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 08:56 AM

202 posts, read 218,202 times
I was downtown last week for the first time in quite a while. All I can say is.....wow what a dump.

We pay extra user fees but the City of Morgantown can't bother to even trim the weeds growing up through the sidewalks or around light poles or trees/planters. It's filthy.

Am I missing some new progressive, woke movement that city council has tapped into where you just let everything go to hell aesthetically?

No hyperbole intended, I've been to similar sized cities in developing countries who kept their municipal properties in better shape. What is happening here?

Why would any person even go down there? I'm ashamed of this town. This trip will be my last if I can help it.

I'm ashamed of this town.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:57 AM

491 posts, read 609,870 times
They need to encourage (or mandate) building owners to clean up their buildings. Some look so run down and sad, especially on Spruce Street. The one apartment building there is half covered in ivy and there are some windows missing glass plates. That decrepit wooden green building on Pleasant Street need to come down too. The old Warner Theater is just rotting away and that marquee looks like it could collapse if we get a large snowstorm. Don't even get me started with that junk yard down at Vic's on Beechurst.

A little bit of paint, power washing, and weed trimming would go a long way for the majority of the properties.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:47 AM

202 posts, read 218,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
They need to encourage (or mandate) building owners to clean up their buildings. Some look so run down and sad, especially on Spruce Street. The one apartment building there is half covered in ivy and there are some windows missing glass plates. That decrepit wooden green building on Pleasant Street need to come down too. The old Warner Theater is just rotting away and that marquee looks like it could collapse if we get a large snowstorm. Don't even get me started with that junk yard down at Vic's on Beechurst.

A little bit of paint, power washing, and weed trimming would go a long way for the majority of the properties.
Absolutely. I don't understand why the city itself doesn't remove vegetation from areas it maintains. Trash too.

Or are we old men from an era when property maintenance actually mattered? Maybe people today like run down crap holes?

Old 08-24-2020, 10:56 AM

77 posts, read 82,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantown1 View Post
Absolutely. I don't understand why the city itself doesn't remove vegetation from areas it maintains. Trash too.

Or are we old men from an era when property maintenance actually mattered? Maybe people today like run down crap holes?
There are more important things to do.

Like spend endless resources on that diamond street encampment and install rainbow colored cross walks.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:15 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post

Some of the buildings don't even look safe. The green building mentioned on Pleasant St is particularly bad. I even worry about a few of the larger buildings collapsing due to lack of maintenance. That has happened in other cities and is really dangerous due to how close the buildings are to one another.

I agree about the paint/powerwashing/weed trimming for most. I would not listen to a common excuse that they will soon be "covered in black soot from trucks". A few of the buildings that have been painted are right on the truck route and still look fine years later.

Among others, a few I see with cosmetic problems are attorney's offices and I can't believe they or their landlords don't have funds for issues like that. I would be embarrassed to have clients visit. If residents can get fined for not mowing grass on their own property, not sure why the city isn't addressing downtown properties.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:15 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer1871 View Post
There are more important things to do.

Like spend endless resources on that diamond street encampment and install rainbow colored cross walks.
Isn't that the truth. I haven't posted on this topic in a while, but it finally got much needed media attention this past year. Just like what many posters observed at the beginning of this thread, the virtue signalers come out in full force whenever the downtown problems of drug use and vagrancy are brought up. They don't want to improve the situation; just chastise anyone who wants to make it better. It's especially bad on social media. Many of the virtue signalers are on City Council so we see where the problem lies.

The issue has really come to the public's attention with the activist's misguided formation of the Diamond Village encampment (aka Camp Crystal Meth) right beside a residential neighborhood. It's been on the front page of the DP every time it comes up.

Hours and hours of discussion by council and creation of I don't know how many committees and they only recently decided to close it after visits and many citations from the Health Department. That, and the sobering reality that 44 OD's occurred there in a matter of about 3 months. Any one of us could have seen that unsafe situation coming. At least our interim city manager finally took a stand against the activist's and their obvious political motivations to keep this camp going. Even though it's still bad, I feel somewhat vindicated that it has all finally came to a head after witnessing this issue grow for years downtown.

It's obvious to most now that we need to fix our leadership on council before we can ever fix our downtown. They clearly allow all of these issues to get out of hand.

Old 02-17-2022, 03:26 PM

286 posts, read 348,119 times
Haven’t been to high street in over a year, how is looking these days?

Old 02-18-2022, 04:39 AM

219 posts, read 247,541 times
Like it always has......dumpy.

Old 02-18-2022, 07:50 AM

250 posts, read 331,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djaerial View Post
Like it always has......dumpy.
I really wish they would take money and completely renovate downtown. It might cost 100 Million but bury the power lines, Paint, pave roads, plant flowers, demolish buildings (buy them and bulldoze them). What could be will never be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown