U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-12-2008, 11:50 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,575,452 times
In this 'Housing Issue: (with Morgantown grooming itself to provide the housing for these masses)...the new federal prison at Hazelton uses 1500 people for its work...96% of them live in Morgantown or very nearby...almost none live exactly on site because of very limited housing in those areas...
Kingwood is seeing a mini-boom because of these employees needing a place to live...and that's a tough commute in either direction in the winter...4 wheel drive to get through the snow.

Where the people live is 'where they spend their money...and that single thing generates the big money investments...

Neither Fairmont or Clarksburg proper could assemble plans to retain/build the living areas for the influx.

Bridgeport with the Compton land at Charles Point and the Glen-Mark corporation with the huge personal investment in Morgantown have set a standard of quality and were seeing our future needs...

Bridgeport has been slow, as their design model was foreign to the area and not really marked for local and eastern customers...In California, particularly around San Fran, this type of community is common...eventually it will take hold as they have great access to I-79.
Morgantown on the other hand, being built up with condo's and townhouses is getting maximum land usuage and is building a more comfortable product for the customer..and no saturation is seen for them in the real estate economy...
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 12:11 PM

939 posts, read 1,834,462 times
I wonder when Morgantown is going to start annexing some stuff on the other side of I-68. That's where a whole lot of new residential construction is happening.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:52 PM

Morgantown will be pushed Northwest at the Star City exit...out by the equestrian center and the new city park...about 6,000 acres lays in that valley...ready for the new residential segment of the new city...

Old 07-12-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Morgantown will be pushed Northwest at the Star City exit...out by the equestrian center and the new city park...about 6,000 acres lays in that valley...ready for the new residential segment of the new city...
Wouldn't they have to annex Granville/Osage/Star City in order to annex the area around Mylan Park? Unless they tried to be like South Africa and just annex AROUND them. Lol.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:01 PM

4,684 posts, read 7,288,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Gotta wait for the TH inventory to get absorbed a bit me thinks. A few lenders I know are a bit concerned with it. A few EP developers I know went into some deals over near some MT golf course. They've slowed the pace quite a bit. But all in all MT's development seems really well put together, not bad at all. Bridgeport is nice as well, everything fairly well laid out and growing in the right direction. It certainly made an impression on me and my wife when we relocated here.

I think when the liquidity jitters and R/E correction bottom out this area will plod right along, with MT leading the way. Berkeley County (and Martinsburg) mat have bigger issues, rising petrol costs being the main issue. Since their boom was fueled by commuters, their rebound may be a bit more difficult. I think growth in Hagerstown, Winchester and Frederick will decide their fate. The more jobs there, the more people will push out for lower prices. The inner Beltway crowd will, for all intents and purposes, dry up. To expensive to drive it.

Last edited by Threerun; 07-12-2008 at 09:15 PM..

Old 07-13-2008, 02:14 AM

CSX is absolutely crazy now...when the economy was zero on freight they gave away lock, stock and barrel all those RR rights of ways...held nothing in reserve except the fiber optic reservations...Now there's money to be made on freight and people transportation...this one track thinking AND repressive laws from congress has created a literal night mare of one track RR hauling...many of the rails-to-trails projects are wanted back...will never happen...pushed to solve the dilema buy installng overhead mono-rails on the interstate highways...and the provider may not be the railroads this time around but the airline sub-contractor companies...like (French) Bombardier.

As for annexation: The Morgantown leaders know what hatred it caused in Marion County and will not incur the wrath of the voters who fund the school bond programs here. Several thousand homes can be and are projected between Rock Forge and the Pierpont Exit...all done by the same developer with several local contractors building the homes...street by street..

If it were to be annexed now...here's what would happen: FEE WISE.

Building Permit @ 1% of a typical $235,000 home. $2,350.00 (amount to the County, only Fee paid now)
B & O Tax @ 2% to the builder. $4,700.00
City Building Permit @2% (as other cities charge) $4,700.00

Utilitiy hook-up fees, water, sewage, gas, elec $1,500.00

Total: (and now we can break ground) $13,250.00

To annex now would be a disaster...wait and do it later, when the project is near completion...build a new firehouse, an elementary school and EMS response center...a county police depot...and the people will pay the extra taxes willingly...

Last edited by David Kennedy; 07-13-2008 at 02:31 AM..

Old 07-13-2008, 11:34 AM

In today's Dominion Post, they announced the plans for a 336-unit gated housing community in Granville next to the Hollywood Theaters and behind the Target/Petco complex. That's going to look kinda odd.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:12 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,709,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
In today's Dominion Post, they announced the plans for a 336-unit gated housing community in Granville next to the Hollywood Theaters and behind the Target/Petco complex. That's going to look kinda odd.
I know I'd love living right next to a strip mall

Old 10-26-2008, 09:25 PM

6,665 posts, read 4,992,074 times
There is no question that Morgantown will be the State's largest city within 15 years. In fact, Northcentral West Virginia is the State's future. Charleston and Huntington are losing ground as is the Northern Panhandle. Martinsburg is growing as a bedroom community for DC, but the real growth is in the Morgantown-Clarksburg region. The only thing keeping Morgantown from even faster development is the stupidity of state government, which will not build roads to accomodate the influx.

Anyone who has visited Morgantown can see the reasons for this development. WVU is a thriving, growing institution. Local industry is doing great. Research is on the upswing. And, although there are no big cities in the State, Morgantown is the only city with a true urban feel to it, yet it offers the comfort and safety of a small town. There are wonderful restaurants, great recreation opportunities at the doorstep, and all the benefits associated with the State's only true major university.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:41 PM

6,665 posts, read 4,992,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
I wonder when Morgantown is going to start annexing some stuff on the other side of I-68. That's where a whole lot of new residential construction is happening.
Drive out Van Voorhis and look around. Then drive out West Run. Development after development is taking shape. There is housing for several thousand people being built in those areas, and it is not included in Morgantown city limits. If those newly developed areas were to be annexed, thousands more would be living in the city. They really need to put pressure on state government to build some roads. The State is only hurting itself and the tax base by not acting more quickly.

One interesting thing to note is the growing prosperity of Granville. With all the retail business taking place within that municipality, they seem to have money to burn. As those municipalities grow, their political infrastructure will grow with it and there will be momentum to maintain the status quo as each group seeks to keep its fifedom intact. That will impede annexation in some cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown